Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was band on oct 1/07 and Im on my 3rd week out-post im trying so hard to get down my Protein and do drink 64 ounces of Water a day I only get 2 bottles of water if I get that because of this sipping that they say I need to be doing.Im scard Im starting to caught headaches I dont know why and I hate that whey protein mix so I just try to drink milk which Im lactose tolerant so when I drink milk I pay for it.Could someone please help me and let me know some thing I can do.PLEASE:help:

Have you tried other Protein mixes and drinks? There really is a difference in taste between the products. You may have to try several before you find one you like. If you are able to take larger swallows of Water, go ahead-just don't chug! Have you tried Lactaid products to help with drinking milk? Or soy milk? It is hard at first, but with some experimentation, you will be able to find products that you like and can tolerate. Sometimes it is overwhelming trying to get in all my protein, water, exercise, Vitamins, Fiber, etc., etc.!! But it will become second nature soon enough. Hang in there! Good luck!

Did you talk to a nutritionist prior to surgery? If so, maybe the nutritionist could help you. I would call your surgeon's office and see if you could substitute soy milk for cow's milk. The protien is very important for healing. My doc says it's ok to add crystal light to my Water, it goes down a lot faster for me that way. I was banded on 10/5 and I am taking swallows now. I called my doc's office yesterday with some questions and the nurse was very nice and helpful. Good luck, Beth

I agree, trying different brands and experimenting helps. The best one I have tried in Champion brand. When I use the vanilla I add fresh strawberries and splenda and it tastes great. Other ideas adding small amount of crystal light to flavor the Protein powders. It is so important to take as much protein as you need to make sure your body stays healthy. Good luck.

Thank alot for the input I really happy that I found this site its so helpful.;)

You need your Protein. If you can't stand your current mix, just keep trying until you find one you can work with. One of my favorite mixes is a Wal-Mart cheepy called "Six Star." I think it has one of the better flavors and little after-taste. I prefer their choco but vanilla is ok too. Mix it with a dollop of Peanut Butter or Nutella, or one of the sugar free coffee flavorings (I used to be big on the Kahlua flavor, I'd add a few ice cubes and it wasn't far off from a virgin mudlisde)... mmm.

Since you're lactose intolerant, try something like soy milk instead of dairy milk. I think tht Protein drinks mixed with Water are GOD AWFUL, but they're not too bad with milk or soy.

Being 3 weeks out you can probably move beyond sips. Surgeons give weird instructions for this. I've looked at 3 surgeons' instructions for drinking, and -- literally -- if you follow the instructions and only sip the amount they tell you to sip, there are physically not enough hours in the day to drink the quantity of Water they tell you to drink. Unless you're stopped up, too tight, whatever, water will pretty much funnel right through. Most bandsters sip to a point, then say "fudge it" and drink water as tolerated.

The headaches can be from mild dehydration. A LOT of headaches are caused by this, actually -- and when we take our pain killers, we take them with a glass of water, and usually the water does more to relieve the pain than the medication.

There are liquid Proteins also which are more concentrated. There are horrible tasty - believe me. But, if you drink one oz every 3 - 4 hours you will get in 60 g of Protein in, in a day. GNC has the bullet and it comes in flavors and they are 3.1 oz and have 42 g, 0 carbs 0 fat. You can mix an ounce with a drink like crystal light or grape juice to help mask the taste. It is fast absorb and is a whey baste as well. If you hold you nose and don't smell it, it goes down a whole lot smoother. I find it hard to believe that I would even recommend it because I am 5 days post op and could not drink the one my doctor prescribed but today I gave in an I am able to finally do it. The one my doctor insists on us using is a medical protein, the ones in GNC will tell you they are not for medical use. It has 60 cal, 15 g per oz 0 carbs, 0 fat and all that it is called Pro-Stat 64 and you can only order online at CVS and a medical supplier CWI. He says it the one and only best protein source but if I can't use it, then switch but he really encouraged me because of the absorptions and combination of the proteins. Its what they use for diabetics, cancer patients etc. The plus side is that you only have to drink an ounce 4 x per day rather than an entire shake, which i have yet to try. There are also recipes to mix with Jello. If you search for it by name it will come up to that website, I think CWI Medical Supply. I know how you feel, I hate the thought of every sip but they convinced me today how important it is. Review the threads too because so many people have come up with some great recipes to mask flavor. Good Luck!

<p>I personally like the Atkins Protein shake in chocolate, when it's cold it really good. It ALMOST makes you forget it's a Protein Shake.</p> <p> </p> <p>Have you tried eating steamed/baked fish or baked chicken for your Protein. You are on your third week now, you can have oatmeal, eggs, and grits for Breakfast and different things for lunch and dinner. I was also banded on 10/1 and am able to tolerate all foods without nausea. As for liquids, my nutrionist said Diet Snapple is good to drink also (and doesn't everyone have a favorite Snapple flavor). Crystal light is good (Raspberry Ice is my favorite).</p> <p> </p> <p>Good Luck</p>

I personally like the Atkins Protein shake in chocolate, when it's cold it really good. i get them from Duane Reade, a pack of four for about $6. It ALMOST makes you forget it's a Protein shake.Have you tried eating steamed/baked fish or baked chicken for your protein. You are on your third week now, you can have oatmeal, eggs, and grits for Breakfast and different things for lunch and dinner. I was also banded on 10/1 and am able to tolerate all foods without nausea. As for liquids, my nutrionist said Diet Snapple is good to drink also (and doesn't everyone have a favorite Snapple flavor). Crystal light is good (Raspberry Ice is my favorite).

Good Luck

Try Isopure from GNC, it has 40g Protein per 20 oz. bottle, no carbs or sugar and 160 calories. It comes in Icy Orange, Alpine fruit Punch, Blue Raspberry and my favorite Frosty Grape. It tastes like sugarfree kool aid.

Thank all Im going to try that Isopure and see how it works.

Ill stay posted

...You are on your third week now, you can have oatmeal, eggs, and grits for Breakfast and different things for lunch and dinner...

thenume, were you also banded by Dr. Reagan @Columbia/St. Marys Bariatric Center? If so, then I agree with you giving the OP advice about what foods she can have now. If you were not banded by the same surgeon, PLEASE do NOT tell someone what they can eat and when. Just as not every doctor is the same, not everyone's post-op diet or progression is the same.

Please, everyone should be following their OWN doctor and nutritionist's advice, not what someone says on a board.

FaithMD,

This is a forum where everyone gives advice based on their own tolerance and experiences. Every menu that I have seen so far (from different docs from locations online and from research) say the same things. These are all suggestions and should be taken as such.

FaithMD, I'm sure realestwoman71 apperciates everyones input. Please relax, and it is bad e-mail ettiquette to type in caps, it implies that you are yelling.

Good Luck to you and everyone.