Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flatulent and fretful

Please tell me the flatulence goes away! I'm day 6 post op. For the last three days I pass gas constantly and it smells so awful.. I'm praying this is a temporary thing...any suggestions?

Gas comes with laparoscopic surgery. It will get better.😊

Your gastrointestinal bacterial flora is changing as a consequence of how quickly food is being propelled, altered nutritional absorption and different macro nutrients ratios. It will continue to change over next few weeks and likely will have less flatulence over time.

Oh. Thank goodness!!

I also think maybe the whey Protein is doing a "number" on you? Oh, you also had a DS. Do a search on here for DS and malodorous gas. ((hugs))

I also think maybe the whey Protein is doing a "number" on you? Oh, you also had a DS. Do a search on here for DS and malodorous gas. ((hugs))

I hadn't thought about the whey...I thought I was prepared for the smell although it's weird when your gas doesn't smell like yours...it's the frequency that I'm really hoping diminishes a bit.

I'm a few months post op and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't go away. The forced need to fart does (that's from surgery, as previously mentioned). However, your farts are now going to smell. Not just an "ew" smell, but an "oh god, I think something died up my colon, this smell can be bottled and used instead of pepper spray" smell.

The good news is that you can hold your farts in, it isn't forcing its way out the way post-op farts do. The bad news is that I've had a few sleep toots since surgery that were so bad that my husband went to go sleep in the other room.

I'm a few months post op and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't go away. The forced need to fart does (that's from surgery, as previously mentioned). However, your farts are now going to smell. Not just an "ew" smell, but an "oh god, I think something died up my colon, this smell can be bottled and used instead of pepper spray" smell.

The good news is that you can hold your farts in, it isn't forcing its way out the way post-op farts do. The bad news is that I've had a few sleep toots since surgery that were so bad that my husband went to go sleep in the other room.

[emoji33]

Sent from my SM-S550TL using BariatricPal mobile app

Or it could reverse direction and you'll be burping 24/7 like me five months out. So annoying!

The gas will get better from the initial post op stage. Now that I'm a few months out, I have noticed that it is definitely worse when I eat too many carbs at one time.

There is a product called Devrom chewable pills, I found it online. It makes the gas less smelly, it's a deodorizer for your gut, it really works! It costs about $20 for a bottle but it is so worth it, and I haven't used it all in 3 months, still have plenty left. Also get some chewable Gas-X, it also helps with the frequency.

9 hours ago, olympia25 said:

emoji33.png

Sent from my SM-S550TL using BariatricPal mobile app

Wouldn't it be nice if the website actually supported the emojis people post the first time? I see it now looks like a real face, but when emojis are posted with a phone, it only posts as code.

Edited by Strivingforbetter

Charcoal pills! They help absorb the gas... They saved my *ss the first few weeks LOL I don't need them anymore.

Charcoal pills! They help absorb the gas... They saved my *ss the first few weeks LOL I don't need them anymore.

Thankfully, the gas has calmed down a bit...although still more frequent than before and really nasty smelling...I know that part may not change...although I don't doubt things will change again once I'm eating a more normal diet.

Thankfully, the gas has calmed down a bit...although still more frequent than before and really nasty smelling...I know that part may not change...although I don't doubt things will change again once I'm eating a more normal diet.

It is a strange nasty musky odor. Ever since my original wls the torture band, I have been a total gasbag. Since 2010 I’ve burped and farted more than my previous 30+ years of life combined lol so this transition wasn’t too shocking to me in the gas department.

10 hours ago, SIPS in Seattle said:

It is a strange nasty musky odor. Ever since my original wls the torture band, I have been a total gasbag. Since 2010 I’ve burped and farted more than my previous 30+ years of life combined lol so this transition wasn’t too shocking to me in the gas department.

I think of it as a grandpa odor. My occurrences of gas aren't too frequent, but everyone once in a while my stomach feels like churning boulders looking for an escape.