Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update your Profile for better Results?

Okay, maybe the title of this topic sucks. I'm not very good at them. However, I think that it might be appropriate here. Let me start by saying that I am not trying to change the habits of others. Do what you want to do.....

I find that when users update their profiles regularly, it assists others with diagnosing problems...Especially when they ask for help from others. It also helps the user asking for guidance when they can see profile information of the poster offering advice.

For example, I have entered many forums where people are asking for help with stalls. Their profile still says 'Pre-Op', but they have had surgery a year ago. It is very hard to offer guidance. Sometimes, there is no weight info, but you will find out through back and forth discussion that they have lost 35 pounds already, but their weight has stalled at 40 days out. If there was a surgery date, and the weight was updated, it would help out others. I would definitely offer different advice if I knew their overall weight loss in those 40 days.

Does anyone else think that is important, or am I just overthinking things? I tend to do that a lot.

Most of the people that post now use the App and that information doesn't even show. They aren't updating it or using it, because they don't see it.

I didn't know that; I use my laptop and I agree with the OP, it is much more useful to see people's stats. But it's an individual choice--I just take post a lot more seriously if the person seems to be an active user of the site rather than posting a plea for advice as their first or second post with no info provided.

I use both laptop and phone, and its true that that stuff doesn't show up on the phone. I have to click on peeps' handles to get their info... and I do do that all tbe time to help give recommendations...

I would like to see a change with the tickers. It is frequently hard to tell the goal weight from the current weight when people get really close to, or even past, goal.

On my ticker I hopefully solved that by having starting weight in red, current weight in yellow, (matching my turtle), and goal weight in green, (matching the tree). Stop lights can never be wrong, eh?

When I reach goal, I'll probably have to do something different...

I totally agree with the OP. Sometimes it is very hard to give advice because people either don't share any details at all or what you can see in their profile is outdated and wrong.

I completely agree with the OP, and I am guilty of not knowing how to update my information using my iPad. I do not use the app. Do I need to?

1 hour ago, Elise24 said:

I completely agree with the OP, and I am guilty of not knowing how to update my information using my iPad. I do not use the app. Do I need to?

To update your weight, go to the top of the screen by your profile photo. Click on the drop down menu and choose "My Surgery." Then choose "Progress" on the left side of the screen. You can then update your weight. I tried using the app, but there wasn't a forum for the duodenal switch, only the other surgeries. I'm going to delete it from my phone.

1 hour ago, Strivingforbetter said:

To update your weight, go to the top of the screen by your profile photo. Click on the drop down menu and choose "My Surgery." Then choose "Progress" on the left side of the screen. You can then update your weight. I tried using the app, but there wasn't a forum for the duodenal switch, only the other surgeries. I'm going to delete it from my phone.

Thank you so much. 🌸

Agreed with you, OP! I must be slightly OCD because the idea of not updating that info makes me cringe! I can't just go around having incorrect data about me floating around...:lol:

41 minutes ago, fruitandveggies said:

Agreed with you, OP! I must be slightly OCD because the idea of not updating that info makes me cringe! I can't just go around having incorrect data about me floating around...:lol:

I agree. I am a little OCD as well. I am usually so proud of that 1 or 2 pound loss that I have to post it first chance I get.

Some people place their stats in the body of their post, and that works for me as well.

Whenever Alex gets around to updating this site, it would be nice if he maybe includes a tutorial on how to update your profile.

Totally agree! It's not very intuitive at all, maybe some folks are having trouble finding where to update that info.

Many times I ignore posting a reply if there's no info on the profile. I am a detailed kind of gal and like to have most everything filled in, it'd be nice if others did the same, but we can't have a world full of Newme17's or we'll all go crazy. 😜 or not?? Maybe it could be heaven on earth. Hahaha!!!