Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my gastric bypass almost 5 weeks ago. I have seen my NUT and surgeon and they both said my weight loss is good (30) pounds. My problem is that I haven't lost any weight for almost two weeks. I have even varied between UP a pound and my stall weight.

I suppose I'm just flabbergasted that not only am I not losing anymore, but that sometimes the number on the scale is higher. I always weigh at the same time every morning.

I have type 2 diabetes and my blood sugars have been great, very few spikes and working on tapering down on insulin. My average macros for a day are less than 800 calories per day. 80-90g Protein. 25-30g fat and 20-30g of carbs.

At my post op check up they told me I was in ketosis and to up my carbs. This is also confusing as I thought being in ketosis was a good thing. I felt awful (fatigue, nausea) for a few days before my post op appointment, not to mention being stalled or almost a week at that point, and they told me upping my carbs would help. So now I average 35-45g carbs. The symptoms have subsided but the stall continues.

I guess I'm wondering if a stall this long and this early on is normal and if upping my carbs to 35-45g is going to derail me further. I can't seem to find any answers and I don't have any friends to talk to about the stress of not losing weight. If you're reading this, thanks for listening. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

my first stall lasted two weeks. It was weeks 2 and 3 post surgery. It broke during week 4 and I dropped 6-8 lbs right away - like within a couple of days. I've heard of the "three-week stall" last as long as three weeks, actually.

as for carbs, it depends on your program. Some surgeons recommend ultra-low-carb diets, some insist on something more moderate. Mine was one of the latter. While in the losing phase, I kept my carbs under 80 grams. But there are programs that limit carbs to more like 30 or 40. And there are some people whose programs are more moderate carb, but who do lower carb on their own because it works better for them.

I doubt 35-45 carbs is going to de-rail you unless you are *super* carb sensitive. I think it's just the regular three-week stall. Just stick to your program, and it will eventually break.

I'm closer to two months post op and after the first month my weight loss has been practically stalled. I lost a few lbs since but now my weight seems stuck at 228, only 3 lbs down from when I last saw my nutritionist on the 6th of this month. It's quite frustrating but I'm trying to look at the positives, being I lost 31 lbs since surgery and I'm fitting into smaller sizes of clothing. Is there anything I can do to beat this stall or will it happen on its own?

1 hour ago, codeblue597 said:

I'm closer to two months post op and after the first month my weight loss has been practically stalled. I lost a few lbs since but now my weight seems stuck at 228, only 3 lbs down from when I last saw my nutritionist on the 6th of this month. It's quite frustrating but I'm trying to look at the positives, being I lost 31 lbs since surgery and I'm fitting into smaller sizes of clothing. Is there anything I can do to beat this stall or will it happen on its own?

if you stick to your program, it'll break. Plus at 228, you're pretty light for a weight loss surgery patient, so it's not going to come off as it would for someone who starts at over 300 lbs. But hang in there - it *will* break...