Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you choose your goal weight?

5 hours ago, CJ Sunshine said:

I need to get under 250, to have knee surgery (which I'm hoping I won't need when I get there)

Ditto.

The surgeon who discussed knee replacement wants me as low as possible in the range 110kg-120kg [242-265 pounds] to even consider the operation.

I'm fairly sure that if I get to 110kg, I won't feel the pressure and pain on my joints.

Ditto.
The surgeon who discussed knee replacement wants me as low as possible in the range 110kg-120kg [242-265 pounds] to even consider the operation.
I'm fairly sure that if I get to 110kg, I won't feel the pressure and pain on my joints.

Yes, I don’t think I will be able to avoid replacement, but I’m only 49, so the longer I can postpone it the better!!

Since surgery was just Monday. My current goal is to get my fluids and Protein Shakes. My ultimate goal is about 125# which is healthy per my height. Until then, I am super excited to see 199#!

I'm aiming for smack bang in the middle of the healthy BMI range. I paid for the surgery out of pocket so why the eff would I half-arse it?

1 hour ago, Phinley said:

I paid for the surgery out of pocket so why the eff would I half-arse it?

Hear, hear. Well said.

I originally had 180 as my goal weight, but after talking with my mom, she said that when she was at her lightest (about 160) she felt it was so hard to stay at that weight. She's gained a little and lost some too and she is now just under 190 and she says it is a comfortable weight for her. I am an inch taller than her and I'm pretty sure I'm also "big boned" so I started to realize that 180 may be a little unrealistic for me and will probably make me look weird, so I settled on 190. As I get closer to that weight, I may adjust it, but that is my goal for now.

I chose my goal weight because it is the lowest weight I have achieved in my adult life. I know I can get there because I have done in the past and I would like to hit the mark and maintain. It is a lofty goal, and I will probably hit and maintain a weight 10-20lbs higher than that one.

My goal weight was 190lbs at 5'10" but I was more interested in hitting a goal size which was a size 12. I'm now 187-190 depending on the day and wearing a 10-12 at almost a year post op.

My surgeon did set a goal of 175 for me long term which would put me at "normal" BMI, well technically it would be 173 but he said to round up :lol:. I don't know if I'm every going to reach that though because my body seems happy at this weight and I've been bouncing for almost 3 months.

My goal weight, in the world of metric measurement is EXACTLY 100kg below the weight I was when I first visited my bariatric surgeon in July 2017.

174.6 kg July 2017 = 384.93 pounds = 27.49 stones = BMI of 56.37

Goal weight 74.6 kg = 164.46 pounds = 11.75 stones = BMI of 24.08

It is conveniently under 25BMI.

If I lose 15kg, I know I am 15% towards my target. If I drop 28kg, I have lost 28% of my target weight. It's MATHEMATICALLY CONVENIENT and very apt for me.

I just decided I wanted to be at a healthy BMI. I didn't get the surgery just to be overweight or obese still. Nor did I go through all of that pain just to lolligag lol

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-147
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Medium in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 38D

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

Bmi chart- i want to eventually become an egg donor so i can't be overweight at all. So i picked a healthy range and i'll be happy if i end up somewhere in there

I just met with my doctor this week (surgery on Tuesday) and he says I should weigh around 150 for my height (I’m 300 now), but wants me to strive for losing 100 pounds to start. I’ve always been heavy so I have no idea what is a good weight for me but I want to get as close to 150 as possible as a personal goal.

3 hours ago, fergie71 said:

I want to get as close to 150 as possible as a personal goal.

That seems like a good starting plan.

You can review this in months to come or in 2019.

My surgeon never suggested that I set a goal. He said I'd get to about 110kg which is about the weight that I'm at now. I'm guessing this number was based off his experience with patients.

For me, it was important to be realistic. To have a healthy BMI, I'd need to weigh about 79kg or something. I wouldn't have weighed that since I was about 12 or 13 years old. Certainly, never in my adult life! So the first time I set an official goal was when I needed to enter one in on this forum for my profile stats. I went with 100kg (220lb) for no particular reason other than it's a kinda memorable number and a little less than what my surgeon said but still in the ballpark. Obviously, that weight is still obese. I'm 11kg off goal now and under 5months out from surgery and I'm already at my surgeon's expected final weight. I have to wonder if it's possible to go lower! I'm curious if I can lose more weight. We'll see!