Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking and the band

Finally, I have been looking for answers about drinking alcohol, and have found it! I am getting banded on the 19th and there are just a few things that i am worried about. One is not being able to drink. I'm a college student at LSU, and my friends and I like to go out to the bars and have a few drinks. And I know that in order to lose wight, you have to give up a few of the things that you enjoy, but a lot of the social scene around LSU involves alcohol and i enjoy having a drink or two. I was just wondering, how long after surgery are you advised to wait before you start drinking again?

Let your self heal real good, about 6 weeks for you don't take the chance of breaking loose the lapband. I like my beer, but I went Bud instead of Budlight because of lot less burbing problems, most light beers do that on me and that was all I use to drink. Good luck if you decide to do this, I am so glad I did, makes loosing weight so easy.

Here's a related question. I started playing in a Hold 'Em league that is sponsored by a local pub. There's no charge to play, the bar bears all the costs, so they make their money from the player's tabs. Since I want to contribute my fair share, I tried ordering a club soda the first time and found out why carbonation is not suggested. Got terrible gas pains. If I want to order something, what are my choices? I know beer is out. What else can I order to avoid looking like a cheapskate?

Here's a related question. I started playing in a Hold 'Em league that is sponsored by a local pub. There's no charge to play, the bar bears all the costs, so they make their money from the player's tabs. Since I want to contribute my fair share, I tried ordering a club soda the first time and found out why carbonation is not suggested. Got terrible gas pains. If I want to order something, what are my choices? I know beer is out. What else can I order to avoid looking like a cheapskate?

I've been able to have a Vodka Martini and Wine (Red & White). While totally in moderation, and if I've worked out - I will treat myself to one of the above (Like Tonite):)

Lu,

long island ice tea? screw driver is always my favorite. I feel like I'm some what healthy drinking it..lol...yeah I know..wrongg. But no carbonation.

Here's my experience with drinking. I've gotten drunk two times since I was banded. The first time I had, had the band for two weeks (I know a really, really stupid decision) and the second was about 2 months after having the band. The first time everthing went down fine, but the next day I spent fighting puking and had a bad headache. The next time I got drunk in 30mins, because I drank so much and spent the night puking (which I'm sure was very dangerous). So, I think the thing you gotta think about most is are you gonna endanger your band by drinking alot? I'm thinking what someone else posted about the amount it takes you now rather than before, because the last time I drank I had half a wine cooler and a few sips of a stiff drink and actually had a small buzz, which wouldn't normally do a thing to me. Anyways, I've decided from now on I'm sticking to smirnoffs and wine. Hope this helps!!

Sorry to poke my head into the Men's Room (you guys DO know us wimmens are spying on you, dontcha?) but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. My personal drink of choice has been scotch and Water, lots of ice. I've always been a scotch/bourbon drinker but usually with coke (or diet coke when dieting). At 70 calories a pop, I can slow sip a couple and nurse it through the night without having gas problems and not breaking the calorie bank. I have to agree about becoming a lightweight though - previously I could knock back half the bottle quite easily, now 2 over the course of an evening gives me a serious buzz. YAY for the cheap thrill :confused:

When I drink, which is seldom I am either drinking Vodka or "Blonde" beers such as Pure Blonde, Boags Classic Blonde etc. which are low carb beer

I have had crystal lite and vodka..and diet cranberry juice and vodka. I just had a few and had no problems...

Now, that's an interesting option. Thanks.

re: drinking alcohol....

I don't think that's the point of the various routes to success with the Band....but having abstained for going on 20 years now (OK, only 18) for other health issues, I can't really relate to wanting ANY let alone 'just a little'...DW has a little wine from time to time and I don't care for the odor of any of it...

I think the question is about 'not appearing CHEAP'....and there's 3 levels to that: the owner/management; other players; yourself.

Having a little discussion and agreement with the owner will satisfy that corner--maybe have a little imported 'still water' or special juice you've brought yourself....try unsweetened cranberry juice 50/50 with mineral Water for a treat if you like something tart that can be very refreshing as well as nursed for a long while ...I like it 2 oz juice/2 oz water....makes are really nice treat....some even like the sweetened kind over ice;

You don't have to 'splain to yourself about being a cheap bastard; your playing buddies will accept whatever you tell them, and give you flack about it no matter what if you don't follow THEIR 'norm' of guzzling while playing....THAT can be easily settled by calm clear statement of your decision/behavior.

Jack - thanks for that advice. I guess it's not so much about appearing cheap, but recognizing that the bar is doing all the work, we get to play for free and hey count on our bar/food bills to make up for it. I was thinking of just getting Water and tipping the waitress as if I bought a drink.

I will jump in. I was banded in Sept.

My beer consumption has gone way down, but I will still have two or three in a nights time (maybe once a month) when we have company for cards or something like that. I have to look at moderation and small drinks with the carbonation. I don't get drunk easily. I am 6 foot 9 inches and you see my weight below.

I have been on a bad habit of Baileys since my surgery. I know there are a bunch of calories, but I can drink an entire bottle of Baileys on ice in a nights time. The alchohol part just doesn't affect me. I don't do that very often, but probably three or four times since my surgery. And those were when others were buying...at $30 per bottle, I don't like to do that.

dab

Don't do do beer, but I never have, but I enjoy my screwdriver (s), but keep in mind those are just totally wasted calores :smile:.

It's OK Nana, now back away from the urinal so we can use it....

Confession- I went into the ladies room twice in one night at the same bar. Should be a universal thing guys on the right, gals on the left.

Bruce