Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy Labor Day from BariatricPal! - September 2017

Happy Labor Day from BariatricPal!

Bariatric Pal - Your friend in Bariatrics
Store Forums Magazine Activity
Happy Labor Day
Hey BariatricPal Members!

Happy Labor Day! Since 1894, Labor Day has been the federal holiday celebrating the American labor movement and contributions to the development of the U.S. It may be anything from a deeply personal holiday to nothing more than a three-day weekend for you. You can still use it for inspiration, just like we’re doing in this newsletter! You’ll find…
• Heroes Everywhere You Turn
• Your Labor Day Last Hurrah Menu
• Letting Go While Remembering Your Past
Enjoy the newsletter, and enjoy any extra time off you have. At some point, we hope to see you on the BariatricPal forums! Take advantage of the great people on there to share your journey and give you support. Speaking of support, thanks for all of yours!

Sincerely,
Alex Brecher
Founder, BariatricPal

Heroes Everywhere You Turn

Labor Day honors the heroes who made their voices hurt and struggled for fair labor practices in this country. The workers throughout the years who have worked for better lives for their families and for all of us are true heroes and a source of inspiration. That makes us think about other types of heroes that help make our lives better during the weight loss surgery journey. If you are looking for a hero or some inspiration, we have some ideas.
BariatricPal
See what’s possible on the Success Stories forum in the Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Bypass, and Lap-Band sections of BariatricPal. Find out for yourself that it’s not only you who experiences Stalls or struggles with Regain and Getting Back on Track. Look through member Before and After photos for something truly worth celebrating. Careful – you might be overwhelmed at the heroism on BariatricPal!
The Street
You can see everyday heroes everywhere you turn, once you start looking. These are just a few examples of people who are working to make life better for themselves, for others, and maybe even for you.
• The doctor who told you that you can find healthy weight.
• The supermarket cashier who always tells you you’re looking good, even when sometimes…you’re just not.
• The restaurant server who always lets you order off the kids’ menu, no questions asked.
You can also take inspiration from people who are just like you: working hard for themselves and their family. It could be other weight loss surgery patients, but it could be someone working full-time while attending night school to get a better career, or someone who hits the gym every morning for weight or other health reasons, while juggling caregiving and a job.
The Mirror
You are a hero. You wake up every day, striving to make your life better so you can be better spouse, “child”, parent, sibling, friend, or colleague. You juggle family responsibilities with weight loss surgery instructions. You work to be healthier every day. You overcome many of the obstacles you face. Sometimes you fall short, but you pick yourself up each time because there’s no other choice. Be proud of yourself, and recognize your heroism.

Your Labor Day Last Hurrah Menu

Labor Day is bittersweet. Everyone loves a holiday, but Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer. Traditionally, it is a time for picnics and grilling, but the fare is not typically worthy of your weight loss surgery diet. Ribs, burgers, potato salad, and ice cream are just not on the menu if you are planning to keep losing weight this weekend.

So, what is on the menu? Here are some ideas.
Salmon – You Pick the Flavor
Grill salmon with miso or teriyaki sauce, lemon and fresh dill, chili and lime, or salsa. Salmon is a little higher in calories than most other fish because of its high amount heart-healthy omega-3 fats. shrimp or tilapia can sub for salmon if you are looking to cut calories, and extra-firm, pressed tofu is another option. Serve your salmon on its own or in a lettuce leaf – not a big white bun!
Option 2 – Grilled “Flatbread”
Grilled flatbread or pizza is a popular trend and a bit more of an upscale choice than burgers and hot dogs, but it will not be so popular with your waistline. Instead of Pizza Crust or naan, try putting your toppings on a portabello mushroom or cauliflower pizza crust made with egg and cheese (hint: some online stores stock ready-made cauliflower crust!). Top it with low-fat cheese, veggies, and (optional) diced chicken breast, and enjoy!
Grilled Romaine
Another trendy item? Grilled romaine lettuce, and you can jump right into this trend! Skip sides such as coleslaw and broccoli bacon salad, and load up on grilled romaine made with a little olive oil and lemon juice. Try it alone, or have a little bit of light vinaigrette with it.
Ice Cream – No Joke!
You deserve to live a little on your weight loss surgery journey, so go for the ice cream! Just choose the type carefully. You can make a low-carb ice cream by blending and freezing a serving of Protein Powder, ¼ cup Water, and 4 ice cubes. If ice cream isn’t your thing, try a Protein Brownie, or opt for a classic campfire flavor with a S’mores Protein Bar. Soft Baked Brownie

Letting Go While Remembering Your Past

So much of the WLS is a balancing act. You need to balance family time with workout time; healthy eating with tasty temptations; getting enough protein with keeping calories down; and current motivation with long-term sustainable weight loss.
Something else to balance is how you think about your past. On the one hand, you need to put your former self in your past. If you have had WLS and are losing weight or already hit goal weight, you might think of your former self as someone in another lifetime, and someone you do not want to think much about. You might want to just focus on where you are and where you are going.
Still, it is worthwhile to remember where you came from. Remembering the struggles with weight and the feelings of frustration that may have been part of your everyday life can help you stay motivated to keep up the new lifestyle so you never go back. Remembering the fight can also inspire you to help others who are where you used to be. You can lend an understanding ear or some words of advice to those who might be feeling lost.

Thanks for being part of the BariatricPal community. You are inspirational and are what keep the community going. Happy Labor Day!

Insure Nutrition
Stop paying for nutritional supplements! Check your insurance eligibility now!

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, please click *|unsubscribe|* or to unsubscribe from ALL BariatricPal E-Mail Click Here.

easy healthy ice cream. Just take a frozen banana and some berries blend and eat. Yummy.