Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nerves! Help!

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I started my pre op liquid only diet for the next two weeks yesterday and I am continually having thoughts of if I'm making the right decision having this surgery. I am 25 and my weight is 265. I want nothing more than to lose weight but the thought I'm second guessing myself is making me even more nervous! Any words or advice?? Thank you!!

Are you nervous about the surgery itself or the lifestyle changes? I'm assuming you've gone through a long preparation period for the surgery . . . so you've had time to think about it. I know it can be scary when it's imminent (mine is next Monday). But if weight loss is really what you most want, you know this is the way. It seems like a drastic change--and it is initially--but there's plenty of evidence that people can reverse the effects of the surgery, eat badly again, and regain the weight. So unless you're sure you are ready to change your habits, maybe talk to your surgeon? Otherwise, trust that you've made the right decision and can do this! Good luck.

Best thing I ever did. Saved my life. It's not easy, but you'll do great. Prayers up for you.

I started at 371 pounds when I finally went to the doctor. I had been thinking about having the surgery for 15 years. By the time I got to the surgeons office, I had reached desperation point. I was scared, unsure and resentful of having to do something so drastic to myself. I am 53 years old.

At the first consultation the surgeon told me I should have done it 15 years ago if I had been thinking about it that long.

On the morning of my surgery laying in the bed just about to go into the theater as the surgeon walked past me, I said to him "Am I doing the right thing'. He told me then yes. But he also said I could stop it even then.

When I came out of the surgery and he came to see me the next day, he reminded me that I had asked him that question and he said, I absolutely did the right thing as when they were doing the surgery the could see that I had a lot of fat inside and around my organs This is very dangerous.

Since the surgery, I feel so much better, I have lost 59 pounds. I have been one of the fortunate ones and have had little problems with eating and drinking.

I absolutely did the right thing and he was right. I should have done it 15 years ago. It would have meant the difference between having to lose 220 pounds vs 110 pounds because all id did in that 15 years was continue to gain weight.

No one here can tell you what is the right thing for you. Hopefully you have spoken with family, spoken with the right medical and psychological staff and looked at you long term goals. Asked yourself the questions, "Can I do this without this extra tool?, or can I do this just through diet and exercise?". Neither path is easy.

All I can tell you is, at the 2 month mark, I do not for one minute regret doing it. But I do have emotions about food that will take some time to get over.

Sorry for the long ramblling post. I hope there is something useful in it.

Laggy

It is normal to feel anxious and nervous before having surgery. I lost 25 pounds during my 2 week pre-op liquid diet. All I could think of is how I should be able to do it on my own, because who loses 25 pounds in 2 weeks without surgery? Every time I had those thoughts, I remembered how I have lost well over a thousand pounds over the last 15 years and gained that thousand pounds+ back. Anyone can lose weight. The hardest part is keeping it off. Obviously, WLS should be a last resort after trying other options. If you have never tried losing weight on your own, maybe you should do that first. However, if you have yo-yoed back and forth over and over again like me and most others on this site, this may be a great thing for you. You just have to be ready for this life changing event. I hear many people describing a 2 week liquid diet as next to impossible. It isn't if you are ready for it. Just know, you will have to add 1-2 more weeks of liquid dieting post-op. I did 4 weeks total. By the end, I was sick of Protein Drinks, broths, and artificially sweetened drinks (g2, propel zero, Vitamin Water zero, etc.). I can honestly say that I never felt hungry though. I made sure that I was constantly sipping on something. I was 326 pounds at the beginning of the year. Being 275 now is sweet. I am very happy with my decision.

I am very happy I had the surgery I have no regrets I used to jog daily and lost hardly any weight and my blood sugar was high since my surgery I haven't needed to take any of my diabetes medicine