Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 Months out With Severe Constipation

Hello friends,

I would like to get some feedback from those of you who are several months out that are dealing with chronic Constipation. Not the occasional episode of constipation, but severe cases. I have had chronic constipation since my sleeve surgery on November 14, 2016. Prior to surgery, my bowels were normal.

I have tried prunes, prune juice, beefing up Fiber intake, etc. For the past 4 Months I have tried two different prescriptions, Amitiza and Linzess. I have also had a colonoscopy and spent plenty of time with my gastro doctor. I would say that I have made at least 5 or 6 trips to the emergency room because of severe abdominal pain within the last 7 months. Each time resulting in x rays and/or scans that revealed severe constipation as the source of my pain.

Currently, daily Miralax and Linzess are not helping me have a bowel movement. I feel like I am throwing away more than 60 bucks a month for no relief. The only thing that empties my bowels is a bottle of magnesium citrate, and I don't feel that it is safe to drink every week.

My gastro doctor says just keep doing the Linzess and Miralax twice a day. Lots of constant pain and endless constipation.

Can anyone else identify with me? Has severe ongoing constipation been a problem for anyone else? If so, what has helped you?

Thanks for sharing.

Poor darling, I can't offer any advice, but I hope you get some relief.

Are there any fats or oil in your diet?

Thank you, Sue. Yes, I get plenty of fat in my diet, mainly through almonds, Peanut Butter, and red meat.

More Miralax! 3-4 times per day. It is very safe

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

55 minutes ago, Goggyween said:

More Miralax! 3-4 times per day. It is very safe

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for the suggestion. The gastro doc told me that it was safe and to take 2x a day, which I have been doing for weeks. Hasn,t helped yet, so I think I will increase it to 3x. But the stuff ain't cheap and i'm spending easily 80 bucks a month on Miralax and Linzess combined.

18 years ago, my 5 year old had a severe Constipation problem. We went to 3 Gastroenterologists, including Children's hospital. Finally, it was the Pediatric Gastroenterologist at Kaiser that curred it. He just kept saying, "more Miralax" she was up to 4 large capfulls per day. It curred her! It is the only thing your body will not absorb and it is harmless. This stuff is amazing. Keep it going, it will work, just increase it till it does is what I recommend. Mix with any liquid. Good luck!

What does your diet look like? (Other than nuts/red meat)?

I don't change my diet up too much, so below is pretty much what I like to have each day:

Breakfast- 6 oz. Premier chocolate Protein Shake and late morning is either an egg or cottage cheese with 1/4 cup pineapple

Lunch- 3 oz. baked or grilled chicken breast or thigh with green peas or fresh asparagus or zucchini.

Mid afternoon snack- Hard boiled egg and 1 oz. almonds or 2 T. Peanut Butter on a rice cake.

Dinner- 3 oz. Ribeye steak, t-bone or top sirloin, occasionally pork chop or homemade low carb meatloaf recipe.

After dinner snack- 1 oz. almonds

Basically been sticking to this meal plan for the past 6 months.

Your diet has almost no Fiber in it. Once you eat 3oz of dense Protein, those veggies can't be more than an ounce or two. I doubt you even need the Protein Shake since you are getting plenty of protein from food.

So, I recommend dropping the protein shake and replacing it and the after dinner snack with as much vegetable matter as you can fit in. Personally I do 4-6oz cooked spinach at a time (with a little oil and vinegar and garlic, yum!). But pretty much any nonstarchy veggie will work.

That will add at least 8oz of colorful veggies to your day.

The cottage cheese has more protein than the egg at Breakfast. And if you really want that second serving of nuts, I'm sure you can find another place to squeeze it in.

Thank you for the ideas, berry. I like to keep my Protein high, and for me, I have found that when my protein is not 80-100 grams a day, then I don't drop the weight. While the Protein Shake helps me get my extra protein, it also adds some much-needed calories to my diet. For a period of 2 months, I was not losing any weight at all. Then I upped my protein and upped my calories by adding that second serving of high-calorie almonds along with the protein shake. If I don't follow the meal plan that I shared with you, then I drop way below 1000 calories and that results in no weight loss. My current meal plan really satisfies my hunger, to the point where I literally can't fit in anymore food.

I am explaining all of this because I am honestly finding myself in a bit of a dilemma, as I have in the recent past mulled over the idea of adding a veggie like spinach to my daily food intake. But as you can see, I would have to cut a higher calorie food out to fit a lower calorie food in. Again, that would mean my calories would be way too low.

I wonder how small my surgeon actually made my stomach. At 9 months out, sometimes I can't even get in 2 oz. Of dense protein at lunch and dinner.

I don't mean to sound unappreciative of your advice. I am very appreciative. I am going to see what I can do with the spinach idea.

Edited by mylighthouse

Have you mentioned your restriction to your surgeon? Less than 2oz Protein at 9 months out could signal a problem.

Tell you what. Wipe this meal plan off the agenda for a little while (2 weeks). You can always go back to it.

New plan:

2 Protein Shakes a day (30g protein each). (400? Calories)

4 servings of veggies (add your 2oz of nuts and plenty of fat). (600 calories)

Drink enough milk to bring your calories up to desired level. (Probably 1- 2 cups..150-300cal)

The point is to give veggies the best possible chance of helping you. If you eat 4 servings and are still constipated, then that isn't your solution, and you need to think about more carbs with fruit and Beans.

Thank you for the good idea with the meal plan change. I think I am going to give it a go.

I think the addition of Beans would definitely be good too.

No, I have not mentioned to my surgeon that many times I am only able to get in 2 oz. of protein.... I should let him know.

Cashews and walnuts are oilier. Add a teaspoon of olive oil in your shake, or add avocado to your veggies for fat and calories.

Edited by Sosewsue61

Thank you for the ideas, Berry. I like to keep my Protein high, and for me, I have found that when my protein is not 80-100 grams a day, then I don't drop the weight. While the Protein Shake helps me get my extra protein, it also adds some much-needed calories to my diet. For a period of 2 months, I was not losing any weight at all. Then I upped my protein and upped my calories by adding that second serving of high-calorie almonds along with the protein shake. If I don't follow the meal plan that I shared with you, then I drop way below 1000 calories and that results in no weight loss. My current meal plan really satisfies my hunger, to the point where I literally can't fit in anymore food.< br> I am explaining all of this because I am honestly finding myself in a bit of a dilemma, as I have in the recent past mulled over the idea of adding a veggie like spinach to my daily food intake. But as you can see, I would have to cut a higher calorie food out to fit a lower calorie food in. Again, that would mean my calories would be way too low.
I wonder how small my surgeon actually made my stomach. At 9 months out, sometimes I can't even get in 2 oz. Of dense protein at lunch and dinner.< br> I don't mean to sound unappreciative of your advice. I am very appreciative. I am going to see what I can do with the spinach idea.

You should mix some spinach or kale in your shakes. I had same problem and the diet tea like the hyleys colon cleanse 3x per week took care of it. The California slim tea also helps regulate me.

Thank you temislady,

I have never heard of the teas, I am going to seek them out.