Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A first hello and questions.

First off, hello! My names Melody and I am from the Texas Panhandle region. I have been reading for a few weeks and hope this is the right place to post this. If not i'll happily delete and move to the right forum.

I've been to my first class but found out that my first appointment with the surgeon is in February. Long way off! Was hoping for sooner but i'll take this chance to learn as much as possible. Trying really hard to see it as a blessing! So far I am doing really well.

Here is some info on me:

I've been overweight my entire adult and teen life. I am now 36 and i'm morbidly obese. Why is that so hard to say? I also am Bi-polar and have severe social anxiety(which it makes it hard for me to post). I have the ok from my PCP and psych doctor. I have type 2 diabetes that has been controlled very well for five + years. My A1c is currently 6.2! I have struggled to lose any weight. I am eating what I should and exercising but the weight just doesn't budge. My PCP and me had a serious discussion and we both brought up WLS and talked it over. We both agreed to get the referral and set out on this long journey.

My questions are pretty mundane.

Do you feel like you have had to let certain friends behind? I am having an issue with my "friends" that are looking down on me for even scheduling the appointment. They think i'm lazy. Also have had friends that seem resentful that I can even get it done(lets face it...it can be turned down at any point so nothing is a guarantee.) I am struggling with this. Not enough to stop this journey. I am finally going to take care of me instead of others first all the time.

Did your taste change drastically? I want to try some of the Protein Shakes and such before my surgery to see if I like them. IS that good idea?

You are all so inspiring!

Hello, Mel and welcome!

Do try shakes - but keep in mind your taste may change. It's tough to tell. Mind didn't change a whole lot, but on certain days, I couldn't even open the vanilla powder for fear I would puke!

RE: Friends - I can't offer a lot of advice on that because I didn't tell many people. I told my husband and two teen daughters and two best friends. That was it. Work was just told I had to have a surgical procedure. My mother and my sister don't know because I knew they would be negative. I would suggest you work with your therapist to develop a script to deal with the negative Nancy's you encounter. S/he will be able to help you find something that feels true for your reply.

I'm 56 years old and had surgery August 23, 2016. I'm down 99.5 pounds. And I'm loving life. Best wishes on your journey.

Having weight loss surgery does not mean you are lazy. Being morbidly obese is a life threatening condition. You are seeking a medical solution for a medical problem. Looking at it any other way is counter-productive. You don't need the negativity. Friends who cannot support your decisions to improve yourself are not friends at all. Do what you know is best for you! You have got this!

As for the Protein Shakes, I look at them as a necessary evil. They aren't exactly known for their deliciousness! Some are better than others, but the more important thing is that they meet your nutritional needs. Find something that you can tolerate, has low carbs and high Protein. Mixing up flavors and brands sometimes helps, as you may find you get tired of the same thing all the time. You can try making them at home as well. I definitely think it is a good idea to start drinking them early, just to help yourself get used to them. Plus they are a great way to lose weight on your pre-op diet.

Hope this helps somewhat! Good luck on your journey!

Hi! Good for you to start this journey!! I didn't tell many people, because I didn't want people to be negative. I told one of my best friends from childhood, and she told me how her aunt had a lap band years ago and it didn't work... Blah...blah...blah.

My mother in law was supportive but just had questions. I didn't even tell my husband until I had the appointment with the surgeon, after all my research and my online class.

I have to say, people think WLS is drastic. Well, when I was 30, I had a preventive bilateral mastectomy because I found out I had the breast cancer mutation after my 32 year old sister was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer. People thought that was drastic. It saved my life. 4 years later, I had my ovaries removed, again, to prevent cancer.

I did all those surgeries to make myself healthy and try to keep cancer away from my body, but I was obese. I went from overweight to obese to "morbidly" obese.

I knew my weight could cause so many problems. Cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc. I had to do this for me. For my kids who I want to see grow up. I was tired of being tired. I was tired of eating a whole row of Oreos, knowing it was bad for me, thinking how I am clogging my arteries but unable to stop.

I don't crave that stuff anymore. As for taste, mine hasn't changed.

Bariatric Eating has good shakes, Inspire. They are thin and mix pretty well. I had been using premier protien and they are good but I'm just tired of them and they seem so thick to me now.

Dont let others people's views get you down.

You are brave and amazing for taking this step. It's a tool. Not a fix. You have to embrace the journey. Good luck.

Hi Mel, welcome! Newbie and pre-surg here as well. I hope you will come to feel this is a safe place for your to share and receive support as well as give support! I am only telling my family about the WLS decision. Quite frankly they would be happy for any type of intervention that would potentially help improve my health and give me a better quality of life--cuz right now my QOL after cancer is fairly at the suckage level. I agree that this is a medical condition (and in your case, it's probably exacerbated by medications that make it very difficult to lose and easy to gain)--so why not have a medical intervention? Hugs and glad you're here with us!

(I lived in Amarillo for a couple of years during college! Panhandle people are true blue friends!)

I just had my surgery last Monday July 24, 2017. I weighed 305 for the last two years and before that the 295 at a steady. I just turned 57. I told everyone who asked about my surgery. I am not ashamed. I am proud that I made the decision to make a life changing move. One person asked me if I'm willing to eat less for the rest of my life after surgery why can't I eat less now and loose weight naturally. We my response was I lost 80 lbs in 2003 I weighed 165. With in 2 years gained weight on little by little. I would gain 50 loose 40 and diets were my normal. They are NOT working for me. I told her I want to Live, I want to move around like others, I don't want to buy an extra seat on an airplane so I'm not embarrassed, I want to see if I can get off my meds, I want to be able to take my dogs on their walks, I want to see if my back, joints and hip will feel better once the weight starts coming off, I want to be able to play with my Granddaughter, I want to be around for the long haul. She did not know what to say after that. I am expecting this to be life changing. I'm ready for the new me. Good luck with your journey

Thank you so much for the replies!

I know this is the right thing for me. The meds I have to take make it hard to lose weight. I also have a handful of people I know that have been through both the gastric bypass and the sleeve. I do not know yet which procedure i'll be having so it is so great to have this forum to know about options and just the mere amount of information is mind boggling! In a good way of course!

I want to be around for my nieces and nephew. BUT Mostly I want to be happy. I know that weight with or without it isn't the determining factor for happiness. I want to do something for me. After a life of mostly doing for others I am finally going to do something for myself. I've been on the back burner for long enough! Am I scared? You bet! I am so ready for this though. SO very ready.

Thanks again!

9 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

(I lived in Amarillo for a couple of years during college! Panhandle people are true blue friends!)

I am in Amarillo, born and raised :)

Big state, small world! :D Pleasedtameetcha! :230_hatched_chick: My sissy and BIL were driving through on the way to Colorado a coupleaweeks ago and they went to TEXAS, in the Canyon. Good times! Can't count on one hand how many times I took people to see that play!

I have seen in a few times as well. One of my cousins and her husband were involved with it while she went to school at WT

It is indeed a big state. Amarillo is getting to big for my liking, I like smaller town living myself but I am blessed to be here where I can get surgery through Texas Tech.

I hear ya on Tech. You should move to Lamesa! :)

First off, hello! My names Melody and I am from the Texas Panhandle region. I have been reading for a few weeks and hope this is the right place to post this. If not i'll happily delete and move to the right forum.
I've been to my first class but found out that my first appointment with the surgeon is in February. Long way off! Was hoping for sooner but i'll take this chance to learn as much as possible. Trying really hard to see it as a blessing! So far I am doing really well.

Here is some info on me:
I've been overweight my entire adult and teen life. I am now 36 and i'm morbidly obese. Why is that so hard to say? I also am Bi-polar and have severe social anxiety(which it makes it hard for me to post). I have the ok from my PCP and psych doctor. I have type 2 diabetes that has been controlled very well for five + years. My A1c is currently 6.2! I have struggled to lose any weight. I am eating what I should and exercising but the weight just doesn't budge. My PCP and me had a serious discussion and we both brought up WLS and talked it over. We both agreed to get the referral and set out on this long journey.

My questions are pretty mundane.

Do you feel like you have had to let certain friends behind? I am having an issue with my "friends" that are looking down on me for even scheduling the appointment. They think i'm lazy. Also have had friends that seem resentful that I can even get it done(lets face it...it can be turned down at any point so nothing is a guarantee.) I am struggling with this. Not enough to stop this journey. I am finally going to take care of me instead of others first all the time.

Did your taste change drastically? I want to try some of the Protein Shakes and such before my surgery to see if I like them. IS that good idea?

You are all so inspiring!

Hi Melody! I'm having my gastric sleeve surgery this Thursday August 3rd. And I want to point out your have a bi polar disorder diagnosis, you're not bi polar. I also have a bi polar disorder diagnosis too. We both may have a mental health condition but it doesn't define us. With that being said, my friends are supportive. My family is too except for my only sibling my older sister. She thinks it's an easy way out too. If your friends are not supporting your decision, shame on them. Misery loves company. They want to be so negative when we want to better our lives. Good luck to you my sister. Don't let ANYONE stand in your way.

Sent from my LG-H901 using BariatricPal mobile app

13 minutes ago, CoCo0273 said:

Hi Melody! I'm having my gastric sleeve surgery this Thursday August 3rd. And I want to point out your have a bi polar disorder diagnosis, you're not bi polar. I also have a bi polar disorder diagnosis too. We both may have a mental health condition but it doesn't define us. With that being said, my friends are supportive. My family is too except for my only sibling my older sister. She thinks it's an easy way out too. If your friends are not supporting your decision, shame on them. Misery loves company. They want to be so negative when we want to better our lives. Good luck to you my sister. Don't let ANYONE stand in your way.

You are so right on! I really couldn't agree more. It is part of the puzzle that is me. Most of my family is very supportive. Those that don't I don't have much to do with due to various reasons. My brother doesn't really know I have the appointment already but he is chilly to talk with anytime lol A man of few words. I think he supports me but sometimes it is hard to tell.

I am cheering for you! You got this! Wishing you all the success in the world!

You are so right on! I really couldn't agree more. It is part of the puzzle that is me. Most of my family is very supportive. Those that don't I don't have much to do with due to various reasons. My brother doesn't really know I have the appointment already but he is chilly to talk with anytime lol A man of few words. I think he supports me but sometimes it is hard to tell.

I am cheering for you! You got this! Wishing you all the success in the world!

Thanks so much! I have one day left. Tomorrow I will find out what time my surgery is for Thursday. Well you have all of us here to support you.