Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

...two more days!

Hey fellow July sleevers, I get to join this elite crew in two more days. I am getting sleeved Friday. I have been pretty excited and just ready to start this journey for a while, until yesterday. I am starting to freak out a bit - woke up in a panic last night and today have been crying at the drop of a hat. I hope it will pass quickly and next week, I can share an update that "I DID IT" and its all good! Hope you all are doing great!

14 minutes ago, Wasntme said:

I wish I could get it over with

Me too...the closer I get the more nervous - which is probably normal. The old me is looking for excuses, I am not giving any. Good luck Monday- I am sure we will both rock this...

Hey fellow July sleevers, I get to join this elite crew in two more days. I am getting sleeved Friday. I have been pretty excited and just ready to start this journey for a while, until yesterday. I am starting to freak out a bit - woke up in a panic last night and today have been crying at the drop of a hat. I hope it will pass quickly and next week, I can share an update that "I DID IT" and its all good! Hope you all are doing great!

I stayed pretty busy cleaning/preparing until close to the end, which helped to distract me. The night before, of course, I added all of that reflection to the anxiety about hearing the alarm, being on time, having everything ready, etc. I had lost 40lbs since starting the program (only 4 on the pre-op liquids) so I restarted the "maybe I can do this on my own" debate.

I finally realized that I already made my decision awhile ago. I only started investigating this option in February and was still on the fence when I started the program. I decided to try the nutritionist and attended the support group meeting and, at some point my thinking shifted and I decided I wanted to do it and actively started pursuing a surgery date/insurance approval, etc.

I acknowledged the concerns and anxiety and reminded myself that I had done all the research and weighed the pros and cons multiple times...and the outcome was always the same: go for it! And that decision was made during daylight using my rational brain. I told my anxious, chattering brain that I was going through with it no matter what and finally went to sleep.< br>
I will say that I was glad to have the first appointment so I didn't really have time to get anxious. I took one of my sleep helpers (clonazepam) at home at their recommendation and as soon as they put the IV in, gave me something "to help the transition to general anesthesia". I honestly don't remember much after the IV went in.

I'm now on day 9 post-op and feel like everything has always been this way. It's weird, actually, because other than a few cuts on my belly, I can't really tell that I'm different. Even in the hospital, I had this weird, irrational thought that they hadn't really done anything except make some cuts on my abdomen so I'd think they had done surgery...like the whole thing was one big placebo experience.

I can obviously tell by eating and drinking though. The whole experience is not a walk in the park. It's surgery. You will feel crappy, but everyone's experience is different as is everyone's definition of and tolerance for crappy. I knew what the possibilities were and felt I was as prepared as I could be so I handled it the best I could and things seemed to improve by leaps and bounds every day. I had no gas pains at all, but did struggle with a bit of nausea (that improved tremendously with room temperature Water vs. ice water). The rest is mostly inconvenience...peeing every 2 hours because of the IV, etc.

I'm 24 hours post op and I went through terrible last minute anxiety. Once at the hospital the admissions sister and then the anaesthetist really did ease my mind. It's natural - we have a tremendous amount of emotion invested in this. My past 30 hours have been a reminder of how amazing care professionals are.

When you come out one of the things you might feel, if you're like me, is an enormous sense of relief. The knots in my shoulders from the past two weeks have gone.

You know you'll be in good hands and you wouldn't be human if you weren't a well of confused feelings right now - but trust me, you're hours away from a completely different and very welcome feeling.

I was nervous as it got closer. I tried not to think about it. I actually bust into tears when they wheeled me into the OR and I was looking around at all the equipment and then they put med in my IV and had me slide over onto the table, I remember crying and apologizing sliding over onto the table and then waking up in recovery. I'm so happy I wee t through with it though. It's perfectly normal to be nervous about going through surgery. Say a prayer and put it in God's hands.

I will say a prayer for ya'll. I did mine on the 21st. Today is day 6. I think the worst part was the gas but each day gets better. I also woke up wondering if they really did anything because I just had some bandaid on my belly...lol
Take each day one at a time. Give it to God and when you wake up each morning start your day by saying, today will be better than yesterday. Because it will be. [emoji4]
We the July 2017 surgery group will all be here for the July 2018 surgery group and we will be saying to them. Hang on , it's ok, take it one day at a time. In the end its all worth it. How do I know that?
Because if any of you are like me uou have been reading forums, watching YouTube and watching others journeys. No its not easy, but we knew this going in. Buy they all say the same thing. It's worth it!
Say a prayer, give it God then come join me on the losers bench,,, it's great to be here!! Hugs to you all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

5 hours ago, sunmeadow said:

It's weird, actually, because other than a few cuts on my belly, I can't really tell that I'm different.

Thank you for your story and motivation. Its nice to know that you don't have to feel totally like an alien when this is all over. I worry that I will feel so different, which I am hoping to shed, since my excess weight always seems to make me feel so different too! I am glad you are doing well!

I just got the call that I have to be there at 530 AM tomorrow, I am thankful that I won't have to wait too long in the day. I asked if I could take a xanax when the nurse called, she laughed and said - you wouldn't be the first and won't be the last. Thanks for the advice!

3 hours ago, TheUnrealJohn said:

You know you'll be in good hands and you wouldn't be human if you weren't a well of confused feelings right now - but trust me, you're hours away from a completely different and very welcome feeling.

@TheUnrealJohn

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I am really having some last minute anxiety. I hope I am as lucky as you and have some caring people who will make me feel sane and normal tomorrow. Its nice to know that I have people here too that can help get me through the rough days too.

3 hours ago, hmills653 said:

I was nervous as it got closer. I tried not to think about it. I actually bust into tears when they wheeled me into the OR and I was looking around at all the equipment and then they put med in my IV and had me slide over onto the table, I remember crying and apologizing sliding over onto the table and then waking up in recovery. I'm so happy I wee t through with it though. It's perfectly normal to be nervous about going through surgery. Say a prayer and put it in God's hands.

@hmills653

Thank you for sharing that, it helps me not feel like I am totally insane - because I would be surprised if I don't do the same exact thing. I don't know if its all the lead up, the pre-op diet or just the fact that I am starving and exhausted but I am doubting myself and feeling weak. My cousin passed away this week, and we just got back from the wake and all I want to do is literally eat everything in the house. I am looking forward to the other side of surgery!

3 hours ago, K_aane said:

Take each day one at a time. Give it to God and when you wake up each morning start your day by saying, today will be better than yesterday. Because it will be.

This is so true and these words are so very needed today for me! Thank you thank you thank you! I hope you keep waking up feeling better and better....