Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The scales will not move

The same weight... the EXACT same weight. The scales have not moved a single ounce. NOT ONE SINGLE OUNCE. Workouts, cardio, dieting... NOTHING. It is the most frustrating thing ever. Since halfway through week 3, NOT ONE SINGLE OUNCE. I want to take my scales and throw them out the window. If I didn't have to weigh myself daily for my nutritionist, I would!

It is so disheartening, especially when you hear people say they lose a pound a day, 4 pounds a week, 40 pounds since surgery, and I have lost 20 since surgery, and nothing in almost 3 weeks. I've heard everything about the stalls, how to jumpstart, what to do, and after trying everything... NOTHING.

Not even going back on my liquid diet helped. I actually gained a pound, lol, before it dropped back to that exact SAME WEIGHT.

I know it happens, I've heard every platitude. "It's a marathon, not a sprint." "Don't worry, it will come off." "Stalls happen, it will pass." Heard it all. At the end of the day, they help. But during the day, when you know you are doing everything, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING to lose weight, and you barely crack 600 calories, none of those wonderful words of wisdom help.

I'm just venting, a little blue and trying desperately to hang on to some kind of confidence and good thoughts. All that keeps going through my head is, "It would really suck if I did all this for 20 lbs." LOL

I know many go through this, and get past it, but no one preps you for it, for the depression that goes along with it.

You were about the same starting weight and height as I was when I started this journey. I, too, lose very slowly. On average, I lose 1-2 pounds a week and lost very little right after surgery. I am now 4 months out and only 25 lbs left to my goal! Here is what I have discovered: I DO NOT LOSE if my calories stay under 1000. I DO NOT LOSE if my Protein intake is not sufficient (between 60 -80 grams). As long as I make the concerted effort to stay over 1000 calories and maintain my protein, I will steadily lose. It was not as fast as I expected, but my doctor tells me that when you have more to lose it comes off faster. I noticed when you lose slow that it gives your body better ability to adjust. The other thing that has helped me is not comparing my weight loss to others, but instead take photos of myself every month so I can see the difference the weight loss has made for me. Don't lose faith!

1 hour ago, Kpw said:

You were about the same starting weight and height as I was when I started this journey. I, too, lose very slowly. On average, I lose 1-2 pounds a week and lost very little right after surgery. I am now 4 months out and only 25 lbs left to my goal! Here is what I have discovered: I DO NOT LOSE if my calories stay under 1000. I DO NOT LOSE if my Protein intake is not sufficient (between 60 -80 grams). As long as I make the concerted effort to stay over 1000 calories and maintain my Protein, I will steadily lose. It was not as fast as I expected, but my doctor tells me that when you have more to lose it comes off faster. I noticed when you lose slow that it gives your body better ability to adjust. The other thing that has helped me is not comparing my weight loss to others, but instead take photos of myself every month so I can see the difference the weight loss has made for me. Don't lose faith!

That's some great advice, thank you! I know that your body is going through a starvation mode and hanging on to every pound...I hear that from my trainer and nutritionist. I'm going to stop weighing myself daily, I was only doing it for a chart for my nutritionist and she let me off the hook. I'm continuing to work on my protein intake and definitely trying to hit 60 every day!

Question for you: Do you drink your protein mostly or eat it? Without a shake, there's no way I can hit 60. My Premier Protein shakes have 30g each and that's the only way I will be able to do it, although I try to have yogurt and chicken breast (rotisserie from Whole Foods) every day so I won't be pure liquid every day. I have heard that there is a difference between drinking it and eating it. Can you share your experience? Thank you for your words of encouragement. It is depressing, but I have to focus on what I am doing and stop lamenting on what I don't have. It's a struggle, but I'm getting past it.

Edited by DianeJarrett

I found myself in a similar spot as kpw. Once I got released to eat normal foods I was able to get my calories up to 1000 and the stall I had during puree and soft foods broke. I upped my Protein goal to 80.
I do continue to do a Premier Protein shake for Breakfast most days. It was a go to pre op as well.
I tend to do at least one tuna pouch which has 17g of protein.
To keep my calories up I switched from skim milk to 2%, from PB2 powder to real Peanut Butter, and from reduced fat cheese to regular cheese.
In my darkest moments of frustration at the scale I looked for inspiration from the people here and from my non scale victories [sizing my ring, fitting into smaller size clothing, buckling the backseat seatbelt].

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I guess I will try to eat more. 1000 calories seems hard to attain, but I will definitely give it a shot. Drinking my Premier Protein shake now, first of 2 today.

As always, thanks for the advice!!

Diane,

I am now 4 months out. In the beginning I had to get most of my Protein in shakes, I had 2 a day to get my required protein in at first. I would also add liquid (pasteurized) egg whites to my shakes to get more protein. Now I still have a Protein Shake every morning for breakfast. I also eat one Protein Bar a day. I know how hard it is to hit 1000 calories, but you will get there. I always eat protein first, followed by vegetables (rarely do I have room for fruit or carbs) and I have to eat 5 times a day. I eat mostly chicken, ground turkey, lobster (my secret treat), fish, egg whites and shrimp for protein. I don't tolerate beef and being lactose intolerant cheese products are out for me but I know others eat cheese sticks as a protein source. Other than the shake and the bar, I cook mostly whole foods and use olive oil for cooking. (I used Pam before, but I need the calories so I just use the oil.) Good luck and let me know how your doing.

Karen

5 minutes ago, Kpw said:

Diane,

I am now 4 months out. In the beginning I had to get most of my Protein in shakes, I had 2 a day to get my required Protein in at first. I would also add liquid (pasteurized) egg whites to my shakes to get more protein. Now I still have a Protein Shake every morning for Breakfast. I also eat one Protein Bar a day. I know how hard it is to hit 1000 calories, but you will get there. I always eat protein first, followed by vegetables (rarely do I have room for fruit or carbs) and I have to eat 5 times a day. I eat mostly chicken, ground turkey, lobster (my secret treat), fish, egg whites and shrimp for protein. I don't tolerate beef and being lactose intolerant cheese products are out for me but I know others eat cheese sticks as a protein source. Other than the shake and the bar, I cook mostly whole foods and use olive oil for cooking. (I used Pam before, but I need the calories so I just use the oil.) Good luck and let me know how your doing.

Karen

I'm on the two shakes a day, plus I do have chicken breast. I try to eat an egg every once in a while, and Greek yogurt gives me 11g of protein too. I think I'm finally hitting the 60-80g of protein daily, now that I can stomach the shakes again, and the Premier Protein shakes have 30g each, I may even top the protein requirements if I have yogurt and chicken in one day. I think the calories are my biggest issue. The two shakes, the chicken, the yogurt, that's only about 614 calories. My doctor wants me to stay in the 600-800 calorie limit, but even if he didn't, I'm not sure I could top it. The only way would be to go back to my regular coffee intake, which is a latte with whole milk and caramel, but those are empty calories and I hate to do that. I will think of something. I have a tuna fish and whole wheat cracker fetish, maybe I can try 1-2 whole wheat crackers or something that will boost my calorie intake.

This is so funny, me on the other end of this conundrum, trying to UP my calorie intake. How ironic is that?

Again, thanks for all your help!!