Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any vegetarians/vegan RNYers out there?

Hello all!

I was wondering if there are any vegetarian or vegan peeps out there who had the bypass?

I have a few questions for you. Were you vegan/vegetarian before surgery or did you switch your diet after the surgery?

I noticed any time I eat any type of animal Protein it sits very heavy in my pouch and it causes some pain... Not to mention that it does not matter how much I cook it, it always taste raw to me and it's quite disgusting. I don't have any problems with plant based protein though.

So, I guess my next question is.... Is it possible to meet the protein requirements on a plant based diet? What does a typical day look like for you, food wise? What are your plant based Proteins of choice?

Yes mrsroyale there’s a lot of us out here. In BariaticPal, I recommend you go to the forum, Gastric Bypass Surgery Support Groups, General Weight Loss Surgery Forums, Vegetarian or Vegan Eating. Good luck in your journey.

I've been a vegetarian for 18 years, and more recently a part-time vegan. My surgery is scheduled for Aug 9. I won't be eating any meat and will rely mostly on dairy and soy for Protein. Hopefully once I'm back on solid food I can get rid of most of the dairy and get in more plant protein. But I'm just going to take it day by day.

Thank you both for your responses! I have checked the forum that @catdaddy suggested and I will be joining soon. I sent an email to my nutritionist today and I will call tomorrow to make an appointment so I can get some guidance.

@smooshycheeks since you are a seasoned vegetarian, what are your preferred sources of Protein? The ones that have the most protein?

Thank you both for your responses! I have checked the forum that [mention=216665]catdaddy[/mention] suggested and I will be joining soon. I sent an email to my nutritionist today and I will call tomorrow to make an appointment so I can get some guidance.
[mention=322987]smooshycheeks[/mention] since you are a seasoned vegetarian, what are your preferred sources of Protein? The ones that have the most protein?

Can you let me know what forum was suggested? I'd love to check it out.

I forgot to mention eggs! I will be eating those for protein. So soy, dairy, eggs, legumes, Beans, nuts. Not sure how long after surgery I'll have to wait to add legumes, beans, and nuts. Maybe in puréed form, so hummus and nut butter.

I also have Crohn's Disease and gastroparesis, which means many times I can't handle the high Fiber plant protein sources. As much as I'd like to get rid of dairy and eggs I still need them.

Also remember that vegetarian/vegan doesn't automatically mean healthy. Pop Tarts, Oreos, and lots of other crap foods are vegan!

@smooshycheeks Yup, look at the first response to my post. Catdaddy mentioned how to get to the forum there :)