Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 5 weeks out of surgery, I'm down 38 lbs and happy (I'm a slow loser who stalls). But I'm wondering, how do people overeat? I see some people even vomit. How is that possible? Honestly, I have no appetite and I can't hold much food. A 4 oz cup of Greek yogurt has to be eaten in 2 sittings, because about halfway through, I am incredibly full, to the point I feel sick. It springs up from nowhere! My Proteins fill me up quickly, I can only eat 2 oz portions of everything if that much. Even a taste of rice, while I'm cooking for my BF, makes me feel like I've had a full meal. Even trying to stay hydrated is such a chore, because I feel incredibly full after a certain amount of liquid, sipped slowly. I can't imagine overeating. Am I supposed to feel more hungry?

And that's another thing - I'm supposedly not eating enough? Because I don't feel hungry, sometimes during the day, I will get a pain in my stomach and realize, it is completely empty. And I didn't feel hungry, it just occurred to me that my stomach aches because it is empty and it's been hours since I have eaten. Does anyone else feel this? My nutritionist suggested small meals and maybe even a timer for eating (I do one for drinking Water and Crystal light now, so I won't forget). It's the primary reason for my stall - my body is hanging on to everything I'm eating because I'm not eating enough. How did you handle this?

I'd love some advice.

At 5 weeks you are still swollen and healing so it seems like you will never be able to eat much. As you heal and time progresses, that changes.

You really shouldn't be eating rice this early with your sleeve, you are not healed.

Do you track your food? you would know if you are eating enough if you are tracking your food. Do you drink Protein Shakes? It is pretty hard to get enough calories in the first 3 months without Protein shakes.

I'm not really eating rice. Just tasting it when I cook. I've only actually eaten it once, when I reached 4 weeks. The doctor told me to Celebrate the return to real food. I had 4 pieces of sushi spread out over hours. (Doctor approved, I lived... but I won't do it again. It was terrible.)

I do track my food, but I know I'm not eating enough. I haven't been drinking enough Protein Shakes because they made me gag, the smell of the Protein shakes just set me off. This week, I started back. I'm going to go back on my liquid fast for a couple of days to get back in the swing of the shakes, and then try it all over again.

I just have to remind myself to eat. Or drink. And not get an empty stomach that aches.

If you say you aren't eating enough but you don't tell us how much is not enough, how can anyone help you or offer you any advice?

(No need to sound so snippy.) I said I eat 2 ounces of Greek yogurt in the morning, I have chicken breast for lunch, about 2 ounces, and turkey or chicken for dinner, again the same amount. Before I work out, I have about 2 ounces (maybe) of watermelon, recommended by my trainer, and I will finish the 4 oz yogurt cup before I go to bed at night, if I feel like my stomach is empty, which is often. I often switch the chicken or turkey breast for tuna, or salmon and sometimes, I eat oatmeal instead of yogurt to get some Fiber. The yogurt and oatmeal, both recommended by my nutritionist to ensure I don't get constipated again. I drink Water all day, mostly Crystal Light but occasionally plain water. I drink Propel during my workout and finish a bottle of it in about 1.5 hours. I just started back drinking Premier Protein shakes, I can finish 1 - 1.5 a day.

My initial question was more about the empty stomach feeling and how people cope with it, how they ensure they are eating, what habits they have developed to make sure they would eat.

I actually broke my scales, so I am estimating the 1-2 ounces. I do love refried Beans. I replace my meat with that sometimes, just for a change!!

(No need to sound so snippy.) I said I eat 2 ounces of Greek yogurt in the morning, I have chicken breast for lunch, about 2 ounces, and turkey or chicken for dinner, again the same amount. Before I work out, I have about 2 ounces (maybe) of watermelon, recommended by my trainer, and I will finish the 4 oz yogurt cup before I go to bed at night, if I feel like my stomach is empty, which is often. I often switch the chicken or turkey breast for tuna, or salmon and sometimes, I eat oatmeal instead of yogurt to get some fiber. The yogurt and oatmeal, both recommended by my nutritionist to ensure I don't get constipated again. I drink Water all day, mostly Crystal Light but occasionally plain water. I drink Propel during my workout and finish a bottle of it in about 1.5 hours. I just started back drinking Premier Protein shakes, I can finish 1 - 1.5 a day.
My initial question was more about the empty stomach feeling and how people cope with it, how they ensure they are eating, what habits they have developed to make sure they would eat.

You're eating enough. You're doing about what I do exactly. The empty feeling in your stomach is normal. If you eat Protein in meat form or drink a premiere shake for Breakfast it will go away or lessen. It takes me over an hour to get a shake down as I have the same gag propensity just smelling it BUT, we need the protein.

Drink liquid and don't worry how soon after you eat. Wait an hour to drink after each meal. Don't return to just liquids, just do the shake in the morning and eat normal the rest of the day. Enjoy meat and normal foods as well.

The issue with rice and Pasta is that it expands in your tummy so will cause added discomfort. You're healed at 5-6 weeks from the surgery so it's not an issue to eat pasta but it still expands, hence discomfort.

Your stomach is NOT healed at 5-6 weeks. It takes a full 6 months to actually be completely healed, but the scarring process is well underway at 8-9 weeks. Leaks are still possible until about 9 weeks postop, so you really have to be extra careful for the entire first 2 months.

1. Fluids: It sounds like you're probably getting in your 64oz. Good.

2. Protein: 4oz greek yogurt has about 12g Protein? 4oz meat has around 26g protein. So you're only getting in about 38g protein for the day. That is nowhere near enough.

I'd recommend drinking something with protein. A Protein Shake, or 4 cups of regular milk, or 3 cups of fairlife milk, or 4 cups of Bone Broth, or a bottle of Lifeway protein kefir, etc. The drinks count toward your fluid goals (except maybe the extra-concentrated protein shakes).

Instead of filling up valuable real estate with oatmeal and watermelon, take fiber supplements with your drinks.

By time you are 8 weeks postop, you will find you can eat more, and can move away from drinking your calories. Early on, it's necessary, unless you can get in 6 small meals that each have 12g of protein. (Which is almost impossible at 5 weeks postop, but you might set as a goal for the next few weeks).

I returned to the liquid diet yesterday, mostly. I had a Protein Shake in the morning and in the evening, with 40 ounces of Water in between. I also had 2 ounces of chicken breast. I actually gained weight today, lol. It is just to jump start my metabolism, which is low (I've had a hysterectomy).

The oatmeal was for the Constipation and the doctor insisted I NOT use a fiber supplement for that week. Once it cleared, he said I could use a supplement, and I've ordered some. The watermelon is for working out, it gives you energy and helps jump start your workouts. I only do that 3 days a week and recommended by my personal trainer.

I think I'm now on the right path, thanks to everyone's advice. Now that the Protein Shakes no longer make me gag and I'm drinking more water, I feel like I will work my way out of this long stall and get back to losing weight.

1 hour ago, MarinaGirl said:

I would also recommend adding Protein powder to your Protein Shakes to get even more Protein in while you're healing post-op.

Now THAT I cannot do. I'm barely tolerating the Premier Protein shakes. Adding the powder, which, in my opinion, is nasty, I would just not drink it.