Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does proper restriction feel like???

Hello all, I had my third fill last week on Thurs. and am wondering if I'm too tight or just right? It took me two hours to finish one packet of oatmeal. I have to crush my pills or they get stuck and I have to sip my liquids or I will have a knot in my stomach. I haven't even tried to eat real food since I think it would be painful. On the other hand, I am not hungry and I am not able to consume more food than I should. The first two days I had to throw up after taking my night time pills, but since I started crushing the pills and taking them earlier (before it's time to lay down) I haven't had a problem with vomiting. So what is normal in this situation? What does an average person eat when properly restricted? If I am too tight, will it hurt me to stay at this level for as long as I can to induce extra weight loss? Thanks,

wow, we are or were the same starting weight and almost the same current, having the same goal!!!:)

but like you i am wondering the same thing. i had my 3rd fill in July and suffered no feelings of tightness, vomitting etc but i would like to know what a "satisfied" feeling is. i would always feel a good restriction for the 1st day or 2 but then not so much. i find now that i feel a strong restriction around that time of the month. other than that, i feel like i eat waaaaaaaay too much. not alot for a normal person but alot to be banded and filled 3x!!

Its impossible to answer.

See, I would call that WAY too tight. I'd absolutely hate that.

But proper restriction is where you're losing too, so if that's what it takes, I dunno...maybe that's proper restriction for you?

I can eat say, half a sandwich for lunch. I can eat meat and 3 veg for dinner and I can eat a good Breakfast. So I call that proper restriction. I can do that comfortably. I can also slip in a variety of Snacks, crap food or get down a McDonalds cheeseburger if I so choose. So somebody else would be screaming "I'm not tight enough".

Personally, I think Healthwise its better to be a bit looser to eat more variety, allow a more normal lifestyle and just rely on a little self control if that allows you to eat a bit too much or foods you really dont want to be eating.

Its impossible to answer.

See, I would call that WAY too tight. I'd absolutely hate that.

But proper restriction is where you're losing too, so if that's what it takes, I dunno...maybe that's proper restriction for you?

I can eat say, half a sandwich for lunch. I can eat meat and 3 veg for dinner and I can eat a good Breakfast. So I call that proper restriction. I can do that comfortably. I can also slip in a variety of Snacks, crap food or get down a McDonalds cheeseburger if I so choose. So somebody else would be screaming "I'm not tight enough".

Personally, I think Healthwise its better to be a bit looser to eat more variety, allow a more normal lifestyle and just rely on a little self control if that allows you to eat a bit too much or foods you really dont want to be eating.

yeah...that makes sense...a lot of sense

thanks!!!

I also just had my third fill... the first week was VERY hard... I thought it might be too tight... however, now I can drink normal... but, eating is still a little tough. I have chicken salad (without the bread... just the chicken) I can eat a burger (no bun) but it kinda hurts... and I burp a LOT. I think it's good for me... The first week I had trouble sipping at all.

Annie I have the same problem with the burping. Does everyone do that? I can not swallow anything without an air bubble coming up.

Ultimately I think I am too tight since I have a semi-difficult time getting down liquid, but I am hoping it will jump start my weight loss if I can handle this for a week or two. I just hope I am not hurting myself in some way I'm not aware of yet.

Jachut....I thought bread was a no no. In fact, since day one of my band I have not been able to even handle bread without getting stuck. Have you lost all of your weight already? How long did it take you?

I would still love to hear from others what their "typical" food intack for the day is, so please respond. Thanks,

Lots and lots (probably most) bandsters cant eat bread, I'm just lucky I guess.

Its not a no no here in Australia - we just simply dont get told that Protein first thing, here we're just encouraged to eat a normal diet based around what we like and would normally eat (that's healthy!, lol). There's no focus on Protein, no shakes etc etc.

Of course people still choose to approach it that way and some people's bodies work much better on less carbs. But it is entirely possible to eat a normal amount of carbs and not be fat.

Yes, I've pretty much lost all my weight, I'd perhaps like to just lose a teeny bit more, a couple of kilograms. Its taken me nearly 2 years.

Lots and lots (probably most) bandsters cant eat bread, I'm just lucky I guess.

Its not a no no here in Australia - we just simply dont get told that Protein first thing, here we're just encouraged to eat a normal diet based around what we like and would normally eat (that's healthy!, lol). There's no focus on Protein, no shakes etc etc.

Of course people still choose to approach it that way and some people's bodies work much better on less carbs. But it is entirely possible to eat a normal amount of carbs and not be fat.

Yes, I've pretty much lost all my weight, I'd perhaps like to just lose a teeny bit more, a couple of kilograms. Its taken me nearly 2 years.

You are so like me..yeah I can eat bread too..not a huge amount..but I certainly have no trouble with a mcdonalds regular hamburger or half a sandwich. In fact Subway is where I'm at alot. I can't eat the whole thing but at least I know what I'm eating..its convenient and healthy.

I thought I was too tight and talked to my doctor. His response was basically there is no cookie cutter response to how tight is too tight. His goal is to help me lose weight. My fill is super tight, he looked at it on fluro, but it will help me to lose weight. He said he doesn't know, as I lose weight, how quickly I will lose it around my stomach. His goal is to do as few fills as possible. He left it up to me. Do you want to be able to eat more, or lose weight quicker. I chose the latter. But each doc is different to, so I would say it's really a good time to talk to your doctor about it and see what he/she thinks.

Ok, I have dealt with the tightness for a whole week and I lost 5 pounds. Although I love seeing numbers like that come off, I really know I am too tight now. I haven't been able to get down anything more than Soup. The good news is I'm not hungry.

I still would like to know though, How much and what kinds of things does a person with proper restriction eat. For instance, if you go to a restraunt do you order mashed potatoes or a chicken dinner? Do you just eat a piece of fruit for breakfast or pancakes? What is normal for people who still continue to lose the 1 to 2 pounds a week?

I know people who can't eat anything before 3:00. Personally, I would not want to be that tight.

I am way tighter than I have ever been in my almost 10 months of banding. I can't eat the variety of foods that I used to be able to eat. My last fill was my 4th, and tomorrow I have a dr.'s appt. I am considering having some taken out.

Every time food gets stuck you are supposed to go back to liquids for 24 hours. I have been on liquids this past month more than regular food.< /p>

Some people say that if you have heartburn regularly, you are too tight. It's really hard to judge what is too tight for you. I know some people have lost most of their weight by doing mainly Protein drinks.

I know I probably didn't answer your question. I am a slow loser, so I have to decide whether or not I want to eat , or I want to lose. I would say if you can't eat meat for dinner (remember you have to chew it until it's liquid) you are probably too tight.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone's had the problem I've had... I'm currently filled to 4cc and that was done back in April. Before I had that fill (I can't remember what I was at-3cc or so) I could still eat a Big Mac (I know it's horrible!) But a couple of months after my last fill eating even drinking became a problem. I am now struggling to keep even liquids down. But it's weird because somedays it's not bad and other days it is. I was just wondering if I'm over filled too? I developed a blood clot in my leg after surgery and ended up losing my job from it because I missed work so I can't afford to go and see my doctor!!! It really stinks!

It does sound like you need to have some taken out. Remember if you throw up, you are supposed to go back on liquids. I knew I need some out because every time I would try to go back on solids, I would end up throwing up.

I did have a little bit taken out today and I feel better.

It was my understanding that once you are at goal you are supposed to be able to eat what you want-in moderation! It just depends on the person I guess. bread is not specifically a no no after you are at goal, I don't think. I do know that bread will make loosing the weight much slower.