Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An almost done deal

Hi. I'm Dozy and I'm being banded tomorrow.

As the last few days ticked away, I felt like I was going out of my mind. Do I have everything ready? Can I handle the recovery? etc.

Suddenly I Googled "lapband+fourms" and found you guys.

Over the last few days I've read many threads.

I truly appreciate the strength you've poured out to others, I feel that I have a place (better than my support group) that I can come to.

You know that saying, "misery loves company".

Well here, it's a different story. There are so many triumphs that I want to be in your company.

I'm 48 and a mom of one. I'm starting out at 350 pounds on the nose with a BMI 59. I chose Lapband because the Bipass terrified me.

My first goal is to take the weight off my knees and back so that I can walk and stand a bit longer and a bit better. I'm ready for the hard work.

Thanks again all for the many, many inspirations,:clap2:

Dozy

I am new here too! Just getting started with the process, no surgery date yet. Best of luck to you with your lap band surgery!

I wish you the best of luck. I know you are going to feel so much better. I am just starting the process so I have a ways to go before I can (hopefully) have the surgery.

Take care of yourself. I'm envying you getting banded tomorrow.:)

It's now day 4 post-op for me.

The surgery went well. The hospital stay went well. Event he total lack of pain went well.

Yep, all areas of the belly are fine.

The hardest part was on day 1 I was not allowed to drink anything and my throat felt horrible (from the breathing tube). So I sloshed cold sponge pops all day and night.

The hardest part on day 2 was the barium x-ray, but there were 5 really great people there who ran the test like clockwork. It was done in no time. Have you ever had a technician hold you hand? That was great and I needed it at the time.

(I had Jello & broth shortly after)

So the latter part of day 2 and I'm home. Still no pain, but hungry .... not for food, but for taste. The best came when my husband me cream of chicken (extra water). I didn't care about eating it, I just wanted to inhale the aroma.

But worst for me was that I was pre-menstrual. Since I've always been irregular I couldn't exactly predict when it would come. And even if I could predict it, I probably could not schedule my surgery around my cycle. So, 3 days in and I'm bleeding. NOW I KNOW why I feel so bad, am so bloated and have the munchies.

As I deal with that, so far, still no pain in the incision areas. The port area is comfortable. I take the pain meds only to sleep so that I can at least get more than 4 hours at a stretch.

I'm tracking my intake. After all this, if I sabotage myself by cheating, I am a lost case and should be whipped. So once my period is mostly over, I'll know my psyche better. I'm determined. I think my husband is more determined than me not to see me fail again. I think I'll have a mini Jello party when I reach 299.

I see my doc next Thursday. For now it's back to bed. I haven't finished my night's sleep yet.

Thank you all for the welcome.

:Banane10:

Sounds like it's going well! I'm scheduled for Friday 10/19. Very glad to hear about your lack of pain! I'm pretty well stocked but definitely have those same "do I have everything" thoughts.

Good luck to you!

Dozy-congrats on being banded! You are starting a brand new life. You will be amazed at how quickly your knees and back will better. Just a few pounds will make a big difference. Goodluck and welcome. There are some wonderful people here and you will make many friends.

Do I have everything? NO

Can I count on someone else to help me with what I forget? For me it, a great big yes. I clued into this board just a few days before my surgery. I'm afraid that a support group "once a month" meetings are just not enough. Plus they don't talk about individual problems and concerns.

Here, there's everything else.

Thank you both for your support.

Dixiegal, for me the only worry was NOT getting the surgery. I've been overweight too long and I really need this heavy handed tool.

MrsPruett, I'm sure hoping it get's easier. I have an intense craving for of all things "tuna fish".

But for now, I'm sipping on my Protein powder orange/vanilla shake.

Although I've taken this step, I don't really feel like it's that "brand new life" beginning. I think that will come when 50 pounds are shed (or at least when the needle drops maybe 20).

I think that "brand new life" will come post-cosmetic. And I've already started saving for it. We've already covered some of that in group. But that's so far in advance, and it's the aesthetics. I know you're right when you say "You will be amazed at how quickly your knees and back will better. Just a few pounds will make a big difference."

I'm patiently waiting for that difference.

Dozy-after about 30 pounds were gone, my knees and back felt better .Now that 50+ are gone , I look so much better and people are treating me different (better). It is really weird.

A hearty congtrats!!!

I was just on another thread where the loss is going very slow. The last thing I need is discouragement 4-days in. Or rather... was Lapband the right choice?

I can't second guess this, it's a done deal. I know that the losses are with me, in my hands.

I know that bypass is different. In group, I met a man who has lost 70 pounds in 10 weeks. I figured, If he could do 70 in 10, I can do 40 by Christmas. But I'm not sure it's realistic anymore.

I'm still too heavy to hit the gym or walk about. I'm only doing arm exercises and knee lifts. My cardio is from bending down to pick something up (or laundry).

I was hoping for a quickstart and then a regular moderate loss. I know that reaching my goal is about 2 years away, but that's just the goal. I need "get up and go" relief asap.

Thanks for the encouragement.

All the best Whisper!

I haven't posted much here (5 or 6), I'm really new. I'm participating in some of my experiences, but am reading a lot. I hope to have lots of encouragement to give when I have it go give.

The hardest thing for me has been to stop speaking DIS-couragement to myself. So I am making every effort not to speak or write IF or HOPE.

TIP that worked for me. Bring a house dress or thick nightgown to the hospital to change into. You'll enjoy it more and possibly feel like yourself faster 'cuz they're going to make you walk. Plus a pretty one gets compliments. Mine was floor level (purchased at Lane Bryant). Make sure it goes over easy, and a zipper in the front really helped. I just looked mine up and it's the trapeze dress here: Plus Size Wide-sweep trapeze lounger at Woman Within®

Dozy- I hope you are feeling better each day and believe me you did the right thing. It is better to take a positive step than to do nothing about your weight. You are right about the pretty housedress or robe.

Whisper-goodluck to you! Keep us posted on your recovery.

Hey Dozy! Well, I am planning to take loose yoga pants and a big t-shirt... I am a self pay (13,500) and I will be done on an outpatient basis.. so no night in the hospital for me.. that's and extra 12-1500!!

I plan on taking strolls arounf the pasture with the dogs the smae afternoon... of course I hope I am not being to optimistic... but I need to go back Monday.. so better go ahead and get started walking sooner than later!

Cheers!

Hi Whisper,

My doctor recommended to me at least a week off and that was in front of my husband. I think that's usually because most women/mom's have to do most everything at home for their family. The doc has no idea what demands the spouse places on his wife at home. Actually, I know plenty of families who can't function without the mom; and plenty of husbands who use their wives shamelessly.

So while the doctor was giving orders, the nurse was there too. She specifically mentioned: no laundry (excess bending), no lifting more than 15 pounds (I think that's the laundry basket). No vacuuming, unless is a lightweight vacuum (I'm OK there). AND NO driving until I see the doctor (which is this Thursday).

So basically, take it easy and concentrate on yourself. BECAUSE getting into a new way of eating can be difficult (as you may have read here, for many, there's intense hunger during the liquid stage).

My family is great. All I have to do is ask. My husband is creating all of my liquid concoctions for me and keeping tabs on what I eat so that I stay on track; and my son is doing extra house-cleaning and laundry.

My doctor called me yesterday to ask how I was doing. I was shocked. I've had other surgeries, including two more major than this one, and for the first time ever, the doctor (not the nurse or assistant) called to see how I was doing. AND this is the best recovery I have ever had, really, ever! Absolutely ZERO pain from start to now.

(Gas pains don't count because they happen with all surgeries, but that too, passes pun intended);)

I'm self-pay also, but same-day surgery was not an option. I had my surgery 8:30 am 10/11 and was discharged around 2 pm, 10/12. I enjoyed it, the care was great.

I'm not into walking yet, my left side of my body has been swollen for such a long time, that walking has been difficult. Left knee pain, plantar faciaitis (left heal and arch pain), lower back pain, swollen ankles, swollen instep, swollen knee.

You on the other hand, are 100 pounds less than me. So I'm confident that your bounce back should be quicker. Just carrying that much less weight, walking should not be a problem. I know that my dog will be happy when I start taking him to the park again.

BUT out of all of this for I have my first Good News: I cried this morning. I looked at my ankles and for the first time in a very long time, my left ankle was almost the same size as my right ankle and me left foot actually looked normal.

I truly wish the best for you, and the best recovery ever!

(I've got you in my Buddy List),

Stay in touch,