Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one have no symptoms of sleep apenia but had to go through eval??

I don't think I have any symptoms of sleep apenia but my surgeon is requiring me to go to a sleep apenia doctor to be evaulated. I'm hoping that the doctor can just review my symptoms (or lack of) and not require that I go through the sleep study... mainly because it is expensive! So my question is.. and I know all patients are different and all doctors are different.... but has anyone just went through a counsult with the physician and not required to go through the actual study? Anyone gone through the study and NOT diagnosed with it?

Thanks!

Hi. My doctor doesn't require the sleep study, however, the anesthesiology doctors at the hospital require it for all bariatric patients. They don't want any suprises when putting patients to sleep. I didn't have any symptoms of sleep apnea, but still had to have the study done prior to surgery. It turned out that I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and that in turn helped me get approved for my surgery by the insurance company.

Kat

My Doc said that a man had lied about his sleep apnea. Lapband surgery went fine ,but the man passed away the next day. That was enough for me to say OK I'll get tested. I go tonight for the sleep study. My doctor coded it as fatigue related. My insurance will be paying for the sleep study, but I am paying for the surgery out of pocket.

Hi, the pre-testing center (AIGB) "required" a sleep study for me. However, I told them that I didn't want to do it. (sleeping in a strange room overnight hooked up to machines freaked me out a bit). All they said was "it can help you get approved for insurance" and I said I would risk it. So, they didn't make me do it.

Afterwards my Dr. asked if I had to do any weird tests and I told him the stress test, but I refused the sleep apnea test. He said "Good, you don't need that test, they just want your money!"

My surgeon requires all of his patients to undergo a sleep study. The reason being that when you go "under" if you have sleep apnea and stop breathing, then there may be trouble. If you are diagnosed with sleep apnea you must bring your CPAP with you to the hospital to wear during the surgery. Or at least that is what I understood him to say.

Although I seriously doubted that I have sleep apnea, I did the study and was found to have a mild case and did not need a CPAP. I did fine with the anesthesia.

My doc required a sleep study. I thought I probably had it since I am so fat, but no, no sleep apnea for me. I'm glad I had the study though, one less pre-surgery worry. Beth

My surgeon does not require a sleep study, but I had one 3 years earlier. My pcp suggested it because it turned out that a number of her overweight patients who experienced depression actually had sleep apnea, and felt better after a few weeks with the C-PAP.

I had the study and ended up having moderately severe sleep apnea (35 awakenings per hour). I used the C-Pap for 2 years and never felt the benefits that others seem to (increased energy. sense of well-being etc).

I hauled my C-Pap to the hospital when I was banded and told each person I encountered in pre-op, before anesthesia was administered, and post-op, but it was never even removed from the bag.

I'm sorry--I went off on a tangent there. My point actually was that most people are pleasantly surprised by how well they feel after treatment so it's worth it to check it out.

Someone in my family had a voice-activated tape recorder so I

placed it in my bed for a few nights to see if I sounded like I struggled to breathe. If you have access to one, it might be useful for you to see if you notice any irregularities.

I have sleep apnea and was told I MUST bring my machine with me so they can use it in the recovery room.

Well, it was with me all through surgery (under the bed they wheeled me around in), but it was NEVER set up until I did it!. When I woke up in recovery, my sleep apnea machine was STILL in the bag on top of the bed with me. A lot of good that did! Once I got in my "patient room, I had to actually set it up and use it. (I was afraid with the pain med, I'd stop breathing and not wake up!).

But, I must say, now that I dropped over 25 lbs - I'm not using it! I think my sleep apnea is gone or on it's way to be gone. DH says I breathe normally now!!! woohoooooooooooooooo!

Brenda

HI,

I suspected I had sleep apnea. I asked my surgeon to include an order for a study with all of the other pre-op tests. Turns out I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea.

I also saw a pulmonary doctor who read the results, and explained them to me. The Pulmonary doctor ordered a 2nd study (sleep titration).

This week I had the sleep titration study to find out the exact settings I need on my CPAP machine.

The pulmonary doctor (lung doctor) will determine based on the results of your study if you need a CPAP machine and explain your diagnosis.

I am relieved that there is answer as to why I have been feeling exhausted, irritable and gasping for air at night!

My surgery date is 10-24 and I am hoping that once I begin loose weight the sleep apnea will go away. A CPAP is not a pretty thing! However, I will tolerate it as long as I have to in order to have healthy sleep, and be safe.

I have been told by doctors and nurses that it is better to find out now if you have sleep apnea before surgery.

Good luck with everything!