Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Panic attacks after gastric sleeve

I will be happy and cheerful one minute but then I was in absolute hysterics when I woke up at 7.30 this morning I'm 7 days post OP. I'm just worried about the unknown I don't want complications I just want it to heal properly I'm really stressing out here.

Sent from my A1601 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm in the same boat. I'm 6 days post op and so panicked of a complication. I think my legs are a little crampy from walking more but I keep thinking it's blood clots and send myself in a panic.

Do you use instagram? Could I add you we could chat we have this in common

It is completely normal to have mood changes during the early stages of recovery. Every body is different and I believe how we handle the changes has to do with our nature as well. Not a bad thing, just reality. After surgery your hormones are sent into a tailspin. Lots of stuff going on inside that causes your exact symptoms. Your doctor should have talked to you about the good and the bad of these hormone changes.

The good is that when our bodies are sent into this tailspin it needs time to adjust. During that adjustment period it is important to stay very close to your eating plan and Water intake. Your body is creating new set points, new places where it is content. We want that set point to be thinner, healthier and happier. So work hard to lose, relax and just feel good about all these changes.

The bad is after surgery we are very good at getting our Protein, drinking our water and doing light exercise. All of these things release toxins and stored hormones from our fat, like estrogen. So if you find yourself crying at the drop of a hat, thinking about strangling your significant other, or locking yours or someone elses children in the closet, be happy, your burning fat:-) and all is as it should be.

Everyone is a bit scared after surgery of the possibilities for complication. Feel free to call your surgeon's office every time you are unsure and someone there should be able to assure you that all is well or call you in if there are really issues. Don't be shy, that's why they are there.

Also, prepare for feelings of regret, remorse, and anger at what you've done to yourself. I have described this phase as a really bad break up with our greatest love...the abuse of food. You will mourn not being able to eat like you did before. Be assured that all those feelings pass and when you are a couple months out and a few pounds down you feel so good and you will be happy that love is over. Life is different and oh, so, much better.

Take care

It is completely normal to have mood changes during the early stages of recovery. Every body is different and I believe how we handle the changes has to do with our nature as well. Not a bad thing, just reality. After surgery your hormones are sent into a tailspin. Lots of stuff going on inside that causes your exact symptoms. Your doctor should have talked to you about the good and the bad of these hormone changes.
The good is that when our bodies are sent into this tailspin it needs time to adjust. During that adjustment period it is important to stay very close to your eating plan and Water intake. Your body is creating new set points, new places where it is content. We want that set point to be thinner, healthier and happier. So work hard to lose, relax and just feel good about all these changes.
The bad is after surgery we are very good at getting our Protein, drinking our water and doing light exercise. All of these things release toxins and stored hormones from our fat, like estrogen. So if you find yourself crying at the drop of a hat, thinking about strangling your significant other, or locking yours or someone elses children in the closet, be happy, your burning fat:-) and all is as it should be.
Everyone is a bit scared after surgery of the possibilities for complication. Feel free to call your surgeon's office every time you are unsure and someone there should be able to assure you that all is well or call you in if there are really issues. Don't be shy, that's why they are there.
Also, prepare for feelings of regret, remorse, and anger at what you've done to yourself. I have described this phase as a really bad break up with our greatest love...the abuse of food. You will mourn not being able to eat like you did before. Be assured that all those feelings pass and when you are a couple months out and a few pounds down you feel so good and you will be happy that love is over. Life is different and oh, so, much better.
Take care

Thanks so much for the reply I'm very much happy when I'm with my family (partner, brother and mother) but I find when I'm alone I'm in hysterics haha but then I'm happy I know it's just a phase I'll get through it and my mum reminds me why I did this because I had problems and needed to fix it so I made the right decision for myself and for my future with kids to come and a wedding. I do miss the food but I know I'll be okay without it and I'll be able to enjoy new foods and explore different recipes I should be excited and I am very much so. I just have to get past this *bump* and I'll be okay :)

Hang in there! It can be an emotional time. Hormones are off the charts. I dreamed so hardcore about nachos after my surgery I thought I had eaten them (I've never really eaten nachos), I cried. My hubby had to prove to me that I hadn't eaten them, it was just so real. Then I laughed so hard about being upset about nachos I hadn't eaten, followed by hysterical tears about why I found it so funny.

Good news is that it all evened out. I don't laugh or cry about nachos anymore...lol