Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Transformation Journey

Hello, I had my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy on March 20, 2017. My surgeon was Dr. William Arnold. My starting weight was 314 lbs, day of surgery I was 300 lbs, and today I am 258 lbs. All together I have lost 56 lbs total (42 lbs since my surgery on March 20th). Its been almost 3 months and I have had lots of changes. I sleep better, walk differently (my gait is now different), less foot and hip discomfort, blood pressure is much much better. My Hair loss isn't really any different than it was prior to surgery. I have noticed I have an intolerance to dairy products since surgery - lots of bloating, cramping, gas and diarrhea after any type of dairy consumption. I tend to get cold more often - I actually carry a light coat with me most places which is very odd for me because I have always been a hot person. My energy levels have continued to increase over the past few weeks. My relationship with food is much different now. I do get hungry and I do eat, but I could just as well go without. Many foods just don't sound good. As a matter of fact, most foods just don't sound good. I eat because I need to eat. I have become very selective of what I eat. Certain foods that I loved before don't settle well with me now and other foods that I didn't care for as much before are things that settle best with me. I have dropped a couple of sizes and people have really begun to notice. I have received lots of very nice compliments. I do exercise several 3 - 5 times a week - (walking, elliptical, Zumba, treadmill, stairs, resistance training, weight training). I would say the biggest challenge is learning to eat again and staying hydrated - finding the right foods that settle with me and not drinking and eating at the same time. Even though I can pretty much eat everything - food just isn't something I am as excited about as before. Perhaps this is something that will pass, however, I am actually very happy that food is not the center of my life anymore. I am very happy that I had the surgery and have absolutely no regrets. I embrace my transformation journey.

Aloha Desi,

I couldn't have said it better! I had my surgery on April 11, 2017 and I started at 312 preop, surgery weight of 302 and currently at 274. I am losing very slowly and am still learning new things about this journey everyday. Finding the balance between macros, calories, etc. all the while reminding myself to eat. Some days, it almost seems easier to go without food but my bariatric team advised against that bad habit as it is not helping me lose. Some days I can go up to a 1000 calories or more and sometimes I am stuck at 500-800. I never know how my day will go or where I will be stuck without appropriate food so I have taken to carrying a "snack" bag at all times consisting of Protein Bars and other Protein rich foods. I also used to sweat a lot here in humid Hawaii but as you mentioned, am now cold all the time. I also visit thr gym 3 times a week and think that has helped with my loss as I seemed to be losing even slower prior to that. I have to admit I for some reason am always thinking of leaks and although I show no signs of it I always have it on my mind since they tell us "you never really know" if it is happening due to subtle signs. Anyway, congratulations on your current success and may we continue down this path to our goals. Take care and God bless you. Aloha, Flo

Sent from my SM-N920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Aloha Flo Lola4rmKona, I lost a lot in the first three weeks after surgery and then I didn't lose anything for 2 - 3 weeks. I increased my physical activity and then started loosing again. I also carry Protein Snacks with me. Some days I have 500 our 600 calories and other days I have 800 calories at the most. I can't seem to eat any more than that. I completely agree with you, some days food goes down easier than others. Thank you for your support.

Hi lexnique,

Slow and steady works for me :)