Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had my sleeve done 2 days ago. As much as I love plain Water all day, I need something else as well. Anyone have a suggestion of what tastes good? Also, are little sips of carbonated drinks every once in awhile bad? I have self-control, so I don't see myself drinking the whole can.

I like Powerade Zero (specifically fruit punch and grape). I have about 32 oz of it per day, and the rest of my Fluid consumption is Water. I also liked Decaf iced tea in the days immediately post-op, but I don't have it much anymore.

I am almost 9 months post-op and I still haven't brought back carbonated drinks. I may be able to tolerate them now, but I don't know. To be honest, I was as big a diet coke addict pre-op as I am a (now recovering) food addict, so I'll never bring soda back because it was so hard to leave it behind in the first place.

I like diet green tea. It is zero calories and I find it refreshing. Water has been different for me since surgery. I used to love it and now not so much. I also drink Vitamin water lemonade flavor and coffee.

I drink a lot of iced herbal teas. I actually also just really like a glass of milk sometimes!

I stay away from carbonated drinks because I don't trust myself to have just a little, and I know my Pepsi habit is part of what got me to needing surgery in the first place.

I would like to respond about the carbination. Everyone's recovery might be different. However I would recommend now having carbination yet. I know that air in the stomach right now isn't good for it because it expands it.

I know ppl who had bypass a while ago who will drink soda and another one who admits it bothers them when they drink it.

I think it takes time and then you can try it and see what works for you. I will want to have a beer in the future. I am 5 weeks post op. When I can have alcohol according to my surgeon I will have non carbinated for a while. Then when I am ready I will try carbination again and see how I tolerate it.

Essentiall the idea is that medically we will be able to eat and drink anything and everything again, but in smaller amounts.

In the meanwhile... You could make some sort of uncafinated tea and make it iced if you want. Starbucks/Tazo Passion tea is non cafinated and has great flavors. I also love the Water flavorers- mio or whatever you can find. There's different flavors. I like the fruit punch and iced tea.

Also protien waters taste good. Atkins has a water with 20g per bottle! My surgeon said it can't count as water because I was not getting enough water. But it's something you can drink and helps with your Protein goals.

Hope this helps a bit

-Joe M.

Herbal teas, diet cranberry juice.

I thought no carbonation was for the rest of your life

By reading these boards and all the questions people ask. Its like they didnt get the information like i did. No straws ever no soda ever its a lifelong commitment.

Hi jillk101, I received the same information - no soda, no carbonation. My surgeon is ok with straws. I understand it to be a lifelong commitment as well.

I'm waiting on my 6 week mark when doctor said I can have a low carb monster lol.

I like the diet cranberry drinks. They have pomegranate, grape, cherry and some other flavors. I have a 30 oz tumbler that I put half of the juice and half Water with ice. It's great since water itself is tough to get down for me. I used to love water and it's just not the same. I wouldn't go near soda if I was you. They say it stretches your stomach which defeats the purpose of the surgery. I watched this one person's video and she drank soda and now she is able to eat so much more and she has to be super careful now so she doesn't gain all of the weight back. Plus I think soda makes you not feel as good... or at least that's how it made me feel. Best of luck on your journey!

I drink a lot of Iced Tea, especially this time of year and Fairlife Milk as well. I drank a lot of Crystal light in the weeks after surgery but I cannot stomach artificial sweetners to well so I stick with Tea, Water and Milk.

As for Carbonation my doctor said once I was cleared for a regular diet I could see if I could tolerate carbonation. I don't drink soda but I have had seltzer a couple times and it was fine for me. I let it flatten out a bit.

I am 19 days post op and have been drinking Crystal Light (peach tea) which is my favorite, Propel (Berry)and G2 (Raspberry Lemonade). Good luck with your recovery.

Mines in writing from my surgeon.....no pop or straws....EVER.

i just feel like if we do what they say, we will be successful. I'm still struggling to get the Water in, but working on it. I've gotten a lot of good ideas from these boards, and am thankful to have found them.

I prefer my Water plain and cold, but realize that doesn't work for everyone. DH can;t stand plain water and uses the infuser drops like Mio. This helps with his water intake. I also avoid soda. This early in the game don't drink soda. Wait it out to create better habits.

I wasn't a big drinker of it before but a cold Mt. Dew or Root Beer was always enjoyable. I crave them fro time to time but avoid them. I have had a few sips of Root Beer or Dr. Pepper since surgery and almost every time it has left me feeling sick or in pain due to the carbonation. The only time that it didn't was when I had a few sips of a flat Root Beer. But again, I don't want to waste my calories on soda. I do waste a few once a week on part of a light beer. That I can tolerate, it just fills me up fast. Hence, the "part" of a beer.