Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Powder Suggestions

Good Morning,

I am preparing for post-op and am a little lost about how to choose Protein powder/drinks. Do you have a favorite? I tend to shop a lot on Amazon. Thanks!!!

Premier Protein drinks and Isopure unflavored Protein Powder are my current favorites. I also drink Isopure Protein Water. It has a bit of an aftertaste, but you get used to it.

I used the premier drinks too. I bought an unflavored powder and mixed in my broths.

I like some of the Quest specialty flavors that come in one time packets - salted caramel and chocolate brownie. For everyday use, we use Optimum Gold Standard which we get a costco (comes in a bag at Costco and not a tub). We get the vanilla. https://www.optimumnutrition.com/en_US/products/gold-standard-whey#kHZcK8w2eiIlTfXE.97

I hate the smell and taste of most Protein powders... However I did find one, unflavored, that I am now using daily! It's genpro, 30g of protein in 1 tablespoon! I purchased mine off of Amazon.

I like some of the Quest specialty flavors that come in one time packets - salted caramel and chocolate brownie. For everyday use, we use Optimum Gold Standard which we get a costco (comes in a bag at Costco and not a tub). We get the vanilla. https://www.optimumnutrition.com/en_US/products/gold-standard-whey#kHZcK8w2eiIlTfXE.97

Their salted caramel comes in a tub size! And you can get it on Amazon!

My other favorite is Syntrax matrix Peanut Butter cookie. Their mint cookie one is pretty dang good too.

I hate the smell and taste of most Protein powders... However I did find one, unflavored, that I am now using daily! It's genpro, 30g of protein in 1 tablespoon! I purchased mine off of Amazon.

I'm not convinced by the science behind this stuff. Do some research before you rely too heavily on it.

8 hours ago, jess9395 said:

I'm not convinced by the science behind this stuff. Do some research before you rely too heavily on it.

As well you should not be convinced. It's snake oil.

Oh great, my nutritionist actually recommended it and I've been using it for a while now. What is wrong with it and is there a better option for unflavored Protein powder?

Well I wasn't gonna SAY it, but I'm glad you did!

Oh great, my nutritionist actually recommended it and I've been using it for a while now. What is wrong with it and is there a better option for unflavored Protein powder?

Quest makes an unflavored I use. There's also one by Unjury.< br>

4 hours ago, RHmama said:

OK, this is going to be a bit long winded, but you asked! I am literally going to copy/paste my past post because I don't feel like typing a book.

I find the best way to prepare GENEPRO is to make sure the lid is on tightly and then chuck it in the trash. The makers of that stuff are about as shady as they come. They say their magical process reduces the size of Protein molecules! In their own words:

This process allows for immediate absorption/uptake into the system which bypasses the intestinal digestive system by 94% (compare this to whey isolate that has an absorption rate of only 31% - making GENEPRO more than three times more effective than any other Protein on the market).

They are saying their 10g of special protein is equivalent to 30g whey.

I believe this says it best about Genepro:

I'm going to use the figure given here for the mean density of proteins:

http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?gr2035
1.22 g/cm3 is the mean density of Proteins they get; the range though is no higher than 1.57 g/cm3.
Let us assume for the sake of argument that this product is pure protein, and instead of being a powder it's a perfectly packed solid material (i.e. no air between powder particles).
We know 1 tablespoon=14.79 cm3.
Therefore, 1 tablespoon of protein should have 18.04 g of protein (in a perfect situation where there's nothing else in the mix, which is basically impossible).
To give some comparison, the density of Water is 1 g/cm3, and let's just say for ease that 1 tablespoon=15 g/cm3. For a tablespoon of that protein to contain 30 g of protein, it should feel twice as heavy as tablespoon of Water.
To be 30 grams of protein, the density would need to be at least 2.03 g/cm3. Pure aluminium is somewhat close for reference, at 2.70 g/cm3.

Long story short, they are selling lies. Most likely they are selling BCAA's and calling it protein. Do yourself a favor and buy a reputable protein brand. Gold Standard is good brand. There are so many manufacturers that lie on their labels, you almost have to look them up and see how many lawsuits they have against them before you buy!

If their process was true, every other maker out there would be following suit because it is such a cutthroat business. The fact that most retail chains refuse to carry it is evidence of the company's reputation.

The only reason I reply (yet again) to this type of post is to protect new patients from wasting money on snakeoil. I need to bookmark my reply to this ridiculous garbage product. It comes up so often it's a PITA to search for it. The manufacturers even admit that there is really only 10 grams of protein, but it is magically fast with absorption and is the equivalent to eating 30 grams of protein. It's a whey based product. It is most definitely not 30 grams of bio-available protein. The calories are just not there either.

This stuff does not contribute to satiety, meaning you will still be hungry. At best it leaves protein markers in the blood stream, more likely though your body will start to break down your own muscle tissue for the protein that it needs. It does not provide the building blocks the body needs for muscle tissue, nails and hair. So you are most likely will have issues with that.

Just stay away from this crap and ask your NUT if they are just espousing what a marketing rep told or did some actual leg work and investigated it. I'll wager they did not.

Oh, and on the subject of unflavored powder. They are just that, unflavored. That does not mean they have no flavor, it merely means that they do not mask the natural flavor of the powder. I tried unflavored in the beginning, but it only worked for me with very strong Soups like curries or Tomato.

Edited by BigViffer

Long story short, they are selling lies. Most likely they are selling BCAA's and calling it Protein. Do yourself a favor and buy a reputable protein brand. Gold Standard is good brand. There are so many manufacturers that lie on their labels, you almost have to look them up and see how many lawsuits they have against them before you buy!
If their process was true, every other maker out there would be following suit because it is such a cutthroat business. The fact that most retail chains refuse to carry it is evidence of the company's reputation.
The only reason I reply (yet again) to this type of post is to protect new patients from wasting money on snakeoil. I need to bookmark my reply to this ridiculous garbage product. It comes up so often it's a PITA to search for it. The manufacturers even admit that there is really only 10 grams of protein, but it is magically fast with absorption and is the equivalent to eating 30 grams of protein. It's a whey based product. It is most definitely not 30 grams of bio-available protein. The calories are just not there either.
This stuff does not contribute to satiety, meaning you will still be hungry. At best it leaves protein markers in the blood stream, more likely though your body will start to break down your own muscle tissue for the protein that it needs. It does not provide the building blocks the body needs for muscle tissue, nails and hair. So you are most likely will have issues with that.
Just stay away from this crap and ask your NUT if they are just espousing what a marketing rep told or did some actual leg work and investigated it. I'll wager they did not.
Oh, and on the subject of unflavored powder. They are just that, unflavored. That does not mean they have no flavor, it merely means that they do not mask the natural flavor of the powder. I tried unflavored in the beginning, but it only worked for me with very strong Soups like curries or Tomato.

Thank you for your detailed response! I guess I'll look for another powder! Sorry I didn't search through the forum -- sometimes when I do that I'll get dozens of posts that don't answer my question. I don't like a lot of meat so I'm trying to find a powder I can mix with my mashed cauliflower or other puréed veggies when I hit the purée stage in a couple of days.