Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Open Ventral Hernia Surgery Tomorrow - At 6 months post sleeve

Hello friends,

Just wanted to share with you that tomorrow morning (6-6-17), I will be having an open hernia surgery.

I am currently about 6-1/2 months post gastric sleeve.

I have been in pain because of two incisional hernias for over two years. I hadn't been able to have the hernia surgery sooner because my weight was too high. Now that I've gone from 334 pounds to 228 pounds, my surgeon can safely do my surgery. I have mixed emotions. I am scared to go through the pain of the surgery/recovery. My surgeon will be cutting me below my breastbone, all the way down to my lower abdomen. He will be reconstructing my abdominal wall, repairing the hernias, and cutting out scar tissue and adhesions from my two previous open abdominal surgeries; the last one, in 2015, kept me in the hospital for 2 whole months. That is why I am scared about surgery tomorrow.

By chance, is there anyone reading this that has had more than 1 open abdominal surgery, and how was your pain and recovery afterwards?

So, the other emotion that I'm experiencing right now is excitement! Even though I am scared, I am excited because I have lost over 100 pounds. After I recover from this, I will no longer be confined to bed. I will be able to walk, to go out, to go grocery shopping, to be more active.... I will eventually be able to exercise, which is something I have not done at all since these abdominal surgeries (sleeve included). I will be able to drive again.... I will be able to go over to my parent's house and help them with things, including cooking... they are in their 70's. I just might be able to travel in early December by car, a 9-hour drive to Mississippi where my daughter lives.... to see my first grandbaby (due Dec 5th).

So this hernia surgery tomorrow might be the beginning to a new life. The sleeve surgery was a new beginning for me too.... it got me to where I am now, able to have a very much needed surgery. Without the sleeve surgery, I definitely wouldn't be on the road to a happier more fulfilled life.

p.s. My hernia surgery doctor was also my sleeve doctor.... he is awesome! I am in good hands.

Just wanted to share this. Helps me feel better talking about it. :)

Edited by mylighthouse

Wishing you the best for tomorrow!

2 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

Wishing you the best for tomorrow!

Thank you so much. :)

Hi Ya!! I have had multiable open surgeries on my stomach. My 1st surgery was a hernia repair at 6 YO. I then had one appendix taken out at 12 YO. I had a hernia repair (open) when I was 19Yo. Had a Gallbladder surgery at 24YO. Hystro at 35ish, back surgery at 40ish. (THAT one was HELL double time) 2 ovary Surgery's at around 35 and 1 at 38ish. I had my RNY at 57. I know I have led a exciting life. Right. LOL Like I said above my back surgery was totally the worst surgery ever!! Now you see that I was pretty young for a lot of them and my body has always been good to me. Most of them were not to bad. I was pretty yound when I had my hernia surgery and of course my body healed very fast. I have never had problems with any of them. (except the back) It really is a mind game just phyic yourself up and grin and bear it. I hope you have someone to help you some. Take your time and let yourself heal. Good Luck.

Prayers for a safe surgery and a quick recovery.

1 hour ago, Sherrie Scharbrough said:

Hi Ya!! I have had multiable open surgeries on my stomach. My 1st surgery was a hernia repair at 6 YO. I then had one appendix taken out at 12 YO. I had a hernia repair (open) when I was 19Yo. Had a Gallbladder surgery at 24YO. Hystro at 35ish, back surgery at 40ish. (THAT one was HELL double time) 2 ovary Surgery's at around 35 and 1 at 38ish. I had my RNY at 57. I know I have led a exciting life. Right. LOL Like I said above my back surgery was totally the worst surgery ever!! Now you see that I was pretty young for a lot of them and my body has always been good to me. Most of them were not to bad. I was pretty yound when I had my hernia surgery and of course my body healed very fast. I have never had problems with any of them. (except the back) It really is a mind game just phyic yourself up and grin and bear it. I hope you have someone to help you some. Take your time and let yourself heal. Good Luck.

Oh my goodness, you really have had a lot of surgeries! Glad to hear that you made it through them and that as far as most of them, that they didn't give you any problems (except for the back).

Yes, I have my husband to help me. He will probably take off work for 2 weeks if I need him to, and my parents live here in town and they can help me out too if I need it... so that's good.

Yes, I will take my time and let myself heal. I am good about following the doctor's instructions! Thank you. :)

1 hour ago, Apple1 said:

Prayers for a safe surgery and a quick recovery.

Thank you Sherrie :)

Good luck @mylighthouse!

Your 100 lb weight loss is impressive & inspiring, but your honesty & positive attitude are even more impressive & inspiring. It sounds like even though aspects of the surgery & recovery will be arduous, your quality of life & horizons will be so much better & broader! Wishing you all the best & a rapid & complete recovery.

29 minutes ago, MzCoffee said:

Good luck @mylighthouse!

Your 100 lb weight loss is impressive & inspiring, but your honesty & positive attitude are even more impressive & inspiring. It sounds like even though aspects of the surgery & recovery will be arduous, your quality of life & horizons will be so much better & broader! Wishing you all the best & a rapid & complete recovery.

Thank you very much. I definitely agree with you and I'm looking forward to what the future brings. Appreciate your kind words and the best to you too.