Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days post op & vomiting

Hi all. I am new here & have not posted much. I need help. I am 10 days post gastric sleeve & can't seem to keep much down. I can keep Water & thin liquids down, but that's it. I should be on puree but can't unless it's super watered down.

I feel like I am getting maybe 150-200 calories a day in.

I feel weak & tired all the time. Protein Shakes are nearly impossible for me.

Anyone have this experience?

Any thoughts ? Tips ?

Thanks in advance

I'm sorry you're going through this. Im sure someone here has experienced this and can chime in. Have you been able to talk with your surgeon about it yet? I believe and have faith you'll get past this...hang in there hon. Blessings to you.

I would definitely talk to your surgeon about it so s/he can determine if it's a stricture or something else. Good luck getting to the bottom of this.

Yes, you need to talk to the surgeon.. but in the meantime can you tolerate milk? If you can, just drink that for a while. Skim milk is thinnest, but 2% might taste better. Do what you can tolerate. Lactaid is super sweet, but will be an option if lactose is a problem. Fairlife is not sweet and has no lactose and extra Protein. Experiment around.

Milk has protein, energy, Vitamins, etc. So you won't need the Protein Shakes if you can keep it down. Everyone is scared of the carbs in milk, but the first month is about healing, not weight loss, so don't worry about the carbs. (In plain milk...not saying go hog wild with added sugars).

You've got to get some nutrition on board, so hopefully this will help until your doc can do something else.

Drink up to 2 quarts of milk if you can. It counts as Fluid too.

Yes, you need to talk to the surgeon.. but in the meantime can you tolerate milk? If you can, just drink that for a while. Skim milk is thinnest, but 2% might taste better. Do what you can tolerate. Lactaid is super sweet, but will be an option if lactose is a problem. Fairlife is not sweet and has no lactose and extra Protein. Experiment around.
Milk has protein, energy, Vitamins, etc. So you won't need the Protein Shakes if you can keep it down. Everyone is scared of the carbs in milk, but the first month is about healing, not weight loss, so don't worry about the carbs. (In plain milk...not saying go hog wild with added sugars).
You've got to get some nutrition on board, so hopefully this will help until your doc can do something else.
Drink up to 2 quarts of milk if you can. It counts as Fluid too.

I will try fairlife milk. Thanks !!

How fast do you eat? I would get nauseated early in my recovery. I ended up pre-measuring two ounces at a time and sipped 1 every hour. I found those Jell-O shot containers in the plastic cup section at Walmart. It was the only way I could keep Protein down. That was the first week. By the end of the second week I could slowly sip 3-4 ounces at a time. If you are throwing up you may have inflamed your tummy. Be easy on it.

Oh, also, I couldn't drink a thick shake. I switched to the 32g protein muscle milk because it is thinner and the "protein" flavor was more mild.

I hope this helps. Take care.

How fast do you eat? I would get nauseated early in my recovery. I ended up pre-measuring two ounces at a time and sipped 1 every hour. I found those Jell-O shot containers in the plastic cup section at Walmart. It was the only way I could keep Protein down. That was the first week. By the end of the second week I could slowly sip 3-4 ounces at a time. If you are throwing up you may have inflamed your tummy. Be easy on it.

Oh, also, I couldn't drink a thick shake. I switched to the 32g protein muscle milk because it is thinner and the "protein" flavor was more mild.

I hope this helps. Take care.

Thanks! Sorry I am just now seeing this.
I'm at 3 weeks today & still struggle. If I'm lucky I get one Protein Shake in per day. That's about the extent of my nutrition. If I eat just a few bites of soft food, it hurts & I feel pressure in my chest

Honestly I am 2 months out and I vomit. My stomach restriction is severe. Also I can not eat any sort of gluten or I throw up. You are still early out so maybe take it even slower. Your stomach is trying to figure itself out. If you get nervous call your dr!

Honestly I am 2 months out and I vomit. My stomach restriction is severe. Also I can not eat any sort of gluten or I throw up. You are still early out so maybe take it even slower. Your stomach is trying to figure itself out. If you get nervous call your dr!

Turns out I had a stricture & was ballooned 3 days ago to open it up. So if it continues, get your surgeon to check you out

I would definitely talk to your surgeon about it so s/he can determine if it's a stricture or something else. Good luck getting to the bottom of this.

Yep! Was a stricture which got to the point of nearly anything going through. Was ballooned 3 days ago

What is it like to get ballooned? I am pre-op still but this one thing I am nervous about. Couldn't think of anything worse.. but never asked anyone what is actually involved?

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

They do an endoscopy & go through your stomach & inflate balloons to expand the narrowing.

What is it like to get ballooned? I am pre-op still but this one thing I am nervous about. Couldn't think of anything worse.. but never asked anyone what is actually involved?

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

Wasn't bad & has made a huge difference as far as being able to keep food down. Now I have to work extra hard not to over do it

My surgeon gave me liquid Zofran for the nausea and it helped a lot. I took it frequently at first. I was sleeved May 31 even when I started puree, I might only tolerate a few small bites. I had jarred peaches pureed once and that went down easier than trying Protein foods. Maybe your surgeon will call in a prescription for a nausea med to help you.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app