Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy Mothers Day from BariatricPal! - May 2017

Happy Mothers Day from BariatricPal!

Bariatric Pal - Your friend in Bariatrics
Store Forums Magazine Activity
Hey BariatricPal Members!

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there! It's a day for children to thank Mom for all the sleepless nights, hugs, homework help, and encouragement over the years. It's also a day for Mom to say thanks in return for all the memories and joy! This Mother's Day, why not honor Mom and the family by being even more dedicated to your weight loss surgery and health goals? This newsletter may help.
• Why Weight Loss Surgery, Why Now?
• Weight Loss Surgery Mother's Day Brunch Menu
• Your Mother's Day Gift List
Get inspired and motivated by the newsletter, then get ready for a family-filled Mother's Day to show your love and make more memories. Come visit BariatricPal Forums whenever you are ready for more ideas and encouragement in your weight loss surgery journey. Happy Mother's Day!

Sincerely,
Alex Brecher
Founder, BariatricPal

Why Weight Loss Surgery, Why Now?

There is a right time for every weight loss surgery patient. Something makes you decide to get the surgery, and something makes you decide that the time is NOW. Are you ready?
Health: It's a Family Thing
Mother's Day is about Mom, but it is also about family. Health is the same way. It is about you, but it is also about your family. If you have been putting off your weight loss surgery because you think it is selfish and takes focus away from your family, you might want to think again. A healthier you means a more energetic you, a more dependable you, and a you that will be around for your family for much longer.
Have You Tried Everything Else to Lose Weight?
There is no single diet that works for everyone, so it can take several tries. Maybe a different eating pattern will work for you, or some sessions with a nutritionist and a personal trainer can help you develop a lifestyle pattern that can help you lose weight and keep it off. On the other hand, if you have already tried everything else and are sure WLS is for you, ask yourself what you are waiting for.
Is the Time Right for You?
Of course you should not get WLS if you have doubts or are not ready. It makes perfect sense to explore other options. Maybe you can give yourself a deadline of a year and see how much progress you can make in that time before opting for WLS. Ask yourself, “If not now, then when??” It may be time to bite the bullet and call the surgeon if you know WLS is for you and you are simply waiting for it to happen.

Weight Loss Mother's Day Plan

What could be better than spending the day with your family, thanking Mom, and hugging your children? Losing weight while you do it can make it even better! Here are a few tips for losing weight this Mother's Day and using it as a springboard for getting motivated for more weight loss to come.
Record Your Memories
Take photos and videos of everything you do on this day. That will help you remember the good times, and it also can help you lose weight.
• The camera does not lie. Take a look at yourself and use it for motivation to finally get weight loss surgery, to stay on your WLS diet so you can hit goal weight, or to keep the weight off for good.
• Prove that you ate healthy. Use your camera as motivation to make few healthy dishes so you can be proud of your efforts when you look back at the photos.
• Consider the scenery. Do you feel more proud when all of your photos show everyone sitting round the table, or when some of the photos show the family on a walk, at the park, or playing active games such as "Follow the Leader?"
Embrace Brunch
No way should you skip that family meal. Just make sure it is one you can be proud of. Here are a few brunch ideas so you can be sure to stay low-carb, low-calorie, and high-protein, while you still get full flavor and satisfaction.
• Frittata made with cauliflower instead of potatoes to cut the carbs. Try goat cheese and kale, spinach and feta, or zucchini and mozzarella varieties.
• High-protein Peach Cobbler Muffins or Blueberry Muffins.
• Warm biscuits made with low-carb baking mix, spread with fat-free cream cheese and served with low-fat vegetarian sausage.
• Grilled shrimp on a bed of arugula with Low-Calorie Honey Mustard Dressing.
fruit platter with fat-free ricotta or cottage cheese.
Remember to follow your other WLS rules, such as eating slowly and chewing thoroughly. Use the pleasure of the good company to help you savor each bite and pause in between.
Make the Rest of the Day Great, Too
Build on the good work you did at brunch by keeping it up the rest of the day. Divide up the leftovers and send any unhealthy dishes home with your guests so that you are not tempted to eat them. Invite your family for a stroll, a nature walk, or a game of tag so you all stay active. It would even be a good time to sit down and have a candid talk about your health goals and how you can all work together to achieve them.

Healthy Living and Good Parenting: A Tough Act

So often, we are taught to put others first. Mothers know this better than most other people; they are often assumed to have no personal needs, and are made to feel that taking care of themselves means they are not taking care of their families. Taking time for yourself to eat right, exercise, and get enough sleep is almost stigmatized!

That is wrong. Gaining weight, developing arthritis and diabetes, and operating on low sleep do not do anyone any good. What does help is being on your “A” game, which means losing weight if you need to, staying fit, and sleeping enough. Still, even if you do not feel guilty about it, it is hard to squeeze in the time between cooking and cleaning, helping with homework, and chauffeuring the kids to activities.

Here are a few tips.
• Make it a priority. Write down your daily goals in your planner so you are committed to them.
• Have your kids help you, not hinder you. Play outside with younger ones, and walk outside while older ones have sports practice
• Use mealtimes as a challenge to come up with healthy, delicious food everyone will love and can eat. How proud will you feel when your kids see you eating only the good stuff, and how much prouder will you be when they choose it for themselves?
• Keep handy Snacks around, such as Protein Bars and Protein chips, so nobody needs to dive for the sugar and fat.
• Be just as disciplined about your bedtime as you are about theirs. Going to bed is way more important than watching an extra episode of that TV show. Instead, get your workout in while watching TV!

This Mother's Day, take pride in yourself and your family. Be thankful for what you have, and protect it and make it better by living your healthiest life. Happy Mother's Day!

Insure Nutrition
Stop paying for nutritional supplements! Check your insurance eligibility now!

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, please click *|unsubscribe|* or to unsubscribe from ALL BariatricPal E-Mail Click Here.