Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self pay so moving fast

Had my first appointment with Dr. Collier yesterday and today I set the date for November 1. Still have to go get lab work and final approval from my primary doctor (hope she goes for it with me). I guess I will go out and buy a Magic Bullet soon. I hope I'm not moving too fast but was afraid I would change my mind. I am excited but nervous too! What I'm afraid of most is not chewing enough. Hope to meet other November people here.:)

Hi Mom, I just posted another reply in a different thread...I too am a self pay and I had my appointment yesterday and am scheduled for nov 7. Now things are moving sooo fast my head is spinnng. I have the nutrition class on Monday and physc on Wednesday and wow I am second guessing myself so badly ... I really want this and I just need to get over the anxiety..My doctors office called and they are going to order all the testing labs so that my insurance will cover it...Rock On...

I believe because I am 48 that I feel it must be a waste of our money...any encourging words or stories will help...

Congratulations to you both

I am also a self pay. I was banded 3 weeks after my first consult. The three weeks went my so slowly, I wished I had been banded the same day as the consult !! I was really ready.

Anyway, I was banded on August 15th and I have already lost 29 pounds. You r gonna LOVE the band

Hello all...

I'm scheduled for November 12! It looks like we have a trend of self-payers in November. I go in for some breath test on Monday, and on November 6th I have an EKG, chest xray and blood work, plus one more visit with the dr and a separate one with the nurse. They just like to chat one last time to see if the patient has any issues. It's all included in the cost. That's all very comforting! My dr. is Dr Turnquest, in Houston. So far I love him!

Glad to see I'm not the only nervous one. I really think I'm doing the right thing but that doesn't soothe the nerves. Big question in my head is...can I change my life that quickly? Can I get my behind off the couch and into a gym? I didn't before. What will make me now? Can I take small enough bites? Stop eating when I'm full? I guess the first time the food comes back in the wrong direction I might be cured of that problem. :) Huh...I guess that's more than one question in my head...

Glad to have you all on this journey with me! ;)

Susan

Houston, Tx

Hi Goldie, Susan & Michee,

So glad to hear from all of you. I don’t feel so all alone. I have been having a hard time slowing down on the food since I set the date. I feel like I have to do it now because I won’t be able to soon. I know that’s wrong, I need to get my body ready for this.

Wow Michee—you are doing great! I hope I do as well as you.

Goldie, you are only a week later than I for the band. I don’t believe 48 should be considered a bad age to do this. It is not a waste of money! I am 54 and know I want to live with a greater quality of life than I have been for the past 10 years.

Susan, where do you live in Houston? I use to live in Friendswood and now I am north of Conroe in Willis.

Later gang,

Bobbi

I went to the seminar last night, have a meeting with the doctor and financial person on 10/12, and the ball rolling ASAP. I will also be self-pay. I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders now that I've made the big decision. I'm happy!! :clap2:

Hi, everyone! I'm a self-pay and getting my surgery on Nov 2. Very excited, nervous, not sure what the heck I'm getting myself into. But I swear to God I'm going to keep gaining weight if I don't do something drastic. It's either this or wire my jaws shut - I am not kidding. My sister-in-law got hers done last year and she looks like a movie star now - gorgeous! So it's helpful knowing someone 'on the inside'. I'm also nervous about not chewing my food enough and having it get caught. But s-i-l says do it a few times and you'll learn fast! It is not the best feeling in the world.

Does anyone else feel really nervous in terms of the surgery itself. Does anyone feel (and this is very dramatic) like they might die? I'm just so worried. Okay, that sounds very stupid, but there it is - my main worry, dying on the operating table.

Since I was self-pay, they booked me in so quick (like I see a few others here as well) and it does seem like my head is spinning a bit too (can't remember who said that). Can't quite get used to the idea that this is really happening.

Anyway, I'm so glad that there's this board and that we can all follow each other's progress and encourage each other since we're all doing this at the same time.

Michee - I noticed your surgeon was from Canada. Where are you from? I'm originally from Sask - just moved this year to Arkansas.

Goldie - Do you mean 48 as in years old and you feel that's too old? If so, are you crazy, girl? Didn't you know the 40's are the new 30's? Look at Oprah. How old is she - in her 50's or something - and she looks so awesome. You are going to be beginning a whole new life and you'll probably feel like you're in your 30's when all the weight comes off.

Glad to have found this board and all of you to chat with.

Can someone tell me how to do the ticker tape thingy? Keep in mind all I know how to do on the computer is type - not very computer savvy.

Linda

I'm not a self-pay but am also having my surgery on November 5th. I'm excited about it too. All except of course, the part where the food may get stuck, eating too fast, not chewing enough - and yes Linda, dying on the operating table. I have my DH, my daughter, who is pregnant for a little girl, due in December and my 9 year old grandson. I wouldn't want to leave them by no means. That is part of this procedure I really try not to think about - "the risks". I just want to go into it with confidence that everything will work out just as it is supposed to.

This site is a wonderful place to come share our concerns and to ask questions, look for recipes - find new friends. :-) I'm grateful that you are all here.

Hi everyone, I'm a self-payer, too. But that didn't speed things up for me one bit. I've been having medical testing and labs done since early March. Of course, in July, they discovered I had a Vitamin D deficiency, and that brought things to a stone-cold stop until I could resolve that situation. But, it helped me really get my head around the surgery and prepare mentally for it.

And, Lindata, I have to disagree, I've heard it from many sources (including the dishy Donny Deutsch on CNBC) that 50, not 40, is the new 30, so 40 must be the new 20. :) It's all good.

My surgery date is 11/2/07.

Hi mom,

It is nice to see someone using the same Dr as I am.

My first visit was on Tuesday and I am going to have the procedure done on Nov 8th. I am excited and nervous all at the same time. I look forward to talking to you more. I am hoping to make friends in the area with the lap band so we can help each other out.

Good Luck!

Hi Sherry,

Great! Where is the doctor going to do it? Conroe or Journey Lite?

I am on my pre-op diet this week. I went by his office yesterday to buy some more Protein drink. I now have chocolate and strawberry.

I would love to talk to you some day. Good luck to you!

Bobbi

Lindseyann - good, then I've got about 16 more years of being in my 30's. I'm glad I like it in my 30's! haha

I am not self pay but am having surgery Nov 9th. I am nervous about alot of things, dying is one of them. But I know that if I don't do this I will die from the weight.

I am nervous about the pre-op testing tomorrow. I hate upper GI's have had one before and it was awful. So I am stressed about that. I was wondering if anyone has had their testing yet and if they had to get the Upper GI and how was it? Be Honest please...LOL

I am anxious to get on with it, I have been waiting on the process since May, my surgeon and insurance require you go through an accrediated program and so I had to go to classes and psych eval and nutrition class and they make you wait and pretty much do a class a month.

I know it is a for life decsison and they want you to be sure you know what you are getting yourself into. I began working out at a new health club my DH and I joined then end of August. I have been walking in the pool 5 2 6 nights a week. Then WHAM I developed a rash all over my body. After two weeks of prednisone my Primary care doc thought it was due to the Chlorine in the pool, because it was going away and then I got back in the Water and it got worse. I had begun Water Aerobics class twice a week. I am so bummed because he banned me from the pool til after my surgery:)

I am glad that I am working up until the day of, because it helps to occupy my mind.

I am 45 been married for nearly 28 years and have 2 grandsons one is 4 and one just turned a year old. I want to be alive and watch them grow up and be able to play with them without getting winded, I want them to actually have a lap to sit on...LOL I want to feel alive again, because I haven't for a very long time.

I don't think you are ever to old for this surgery, it can take years off your death....by losing the excess weight........in turn adding years to our lives.....:).

I am glad that I found this place and plan on spending my recoop time here on line. I hate daytime TV...LOL

Kristin:clap2: