Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Highs and Lows of being Post-Op

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this, so forgive me! I got Gastric Bypass one week ago on 4/24 and I'm feeling to put it nicely (like sh*t)! Everything is a struggle for me. I move and I feel like I'm going to tear something or hurt myself. Eating (liquids) and drinking (more liquids) is so frustrating and I'm over it! I've also already ended up in the hospital for severe dehydration and that was a mess! I'm usually the happiest person and this surgery has literally taken every ounce of happiness out of me. I've been going through all of this alone besides the support of my amazing boss and friends. I think the most challenging thing is really though dealing with myself mentally. I feel super all over the place emotionally and I have only told a handful of people that I got surgery (because the few people that matter who I told completely judged me negatively). I feel like in the 6 day span that I have spent in my apartment I have felt every emotion that there is to feel and I'm stressed by it. I'm going to my surgeon in a few days and I'm dreading it because the nasty patients always tell me "why are you getting surgery you don't need it". Little do people know I'm taking this incredibly draining journey to better myself and my health. It's not about me not weighing 300+lbs. I have a hate for myself and my weight that I want to do something about, so WLS was my solution. On a positive note I have lost 20 lbs. already! Woohoo! Is anyone else having a lot of emotions and whatnot after surgery?! I feel straight up alone right now and I feel very judged by people every time I tell someone I got WLS. Feel free to say hi I'm super friendly and stuck at home for another week! Also attached a picture! That's what I looked like a few weeks ago!

About me:

Name: Taylor

Procedure: Gastric Bypass 04/24/17

HW: 240

CW: 215

GW: 115

Unmarried single fur mother of three.

IMG_9019.JPG

Taylor it does get better but not overnight. It took me 6 months to get to a happy state when most of the problems seemed to melt away. Having the surgery was one of the best decisions that I ever made. I have put down my thoughts on the surgery in the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Hi Taylor and Welcome, Charles from Dallas. I'm not dealing with any emotional feelings right now post surgery. I had the sleeve last Tuesday 25th. It has been a struggle to get all my fluids in. I'm also ready to move on to the soft foods, but I've come to embrace this challenge because I can already see the outcome.

When it comes to fluids. There's some days I get close to 50oz and some days barely 30oz. I just make sure to have a bottle next to me all the time. Even when I wake up in the middle of the night, I sip. I do it all day.

Have you done much walking? I walk twice a day about a mile each time.

This is a good site for support and answers. I wish you the best and know that you will succeed.

HW 343
SW 334
CW 315

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Hang in there Taylor! Try not to worry about what others think!! It's YOUR business and YOUR decision.

Also, stop sharing your surgery experience with people. My surgery is scheduled for May 25th. Outside of husband, program manager, and best friend, I'm not telling nosey ass people jack $***. For all I care talk and judge until your heart is content. Once the weight starts coming off, I still will only share with a selected few. I absolutely will NOT tolerate some non factor/ negative person opinion!!

God bless and continue to be strong.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Hang in there Taylor! Try not to worry about what others think!! It's YOUR business and YOUR decision.

Also, stop sharing your surgery experience with people. My surgery is scheduled for May 25th. Outside of husband, program manager, and best friend, I'm not telling nosey ass people jack $***. For all I care talk and judge until your heart is content. Once the weight starts coming off, I still will only share with a selected few. I absolutely will NOT tolerate some non factor/ negative person opinion!!

God bless and continue to be strong.

Absolutely agree with black....keep ur head up n worry n do for you!!!!

Tried sending an attachment. It didn't work.

I felt the same after surgery & not to discourage you but I also felt like crap for a good 3 months. I didn't like anything, all food tasted terrible. I ended up at mayo ER once because I was so sick. One of team Bariactric surgeons sat with me for over an hour which was so helpful. He explained that my intestines were cut & swithched & my new stomach needs to get used to the introduction of new foods. Also said my taste buds would return. After all the tests, X'rays he determined I ate & drank too fast!! That has been an issue with me, slowing down!! Trust me I do it now although difficult. Also not drinking 1/2 before & after meals is also a challenge for me but getting better!!

After 3 months it was like a switch went off, everything falling into place, much easier. I go to gym 3 times a week. I've lost 58lbs since Nov 28, 2017 & very happy with results. Not happy with excess skin on my arms but working on them! I'll wait a year before I decide what to do about the excess skin. Don't worry about what people say, only surround yourself with positive people. I've had several people tell me they didn't think I needed surgery I just shrug off & do not answer... hang in there your doing great!!

Taylor, more than anything honey, LOVE YOURSELF! If this was an issue before, clinically speaking, that self loathing is so probably worse and so very destructive. You look beautiful and regardless of what people say, you need to have the "I don't care" mentality! No one has had a lot to say (to my face) anything negative. But you know what? I don't care! You know why? Because I'm doing me for a change! It's been 2 weeks since surgery (4/18) and my weight loss has gone from 1 # a day to fighting to get 10 in the last 14 days. Hang in there. I think. I'm dealing with the stall! And yes, it's so frustrating! You've got a support system here and we're not going anywhere!

Hi Taylor my name is Jodi and I got mine April 17. I thought a lot of emotions because you can't live your life like you used to and it takes a lot to get used to it. I was sad for what I lost which isn't even really a good thing relationship with food wise I love hate kind of thing. I was sad I lost the ability to eat as much as other people. But after I lost 20 pounds I started to see the positives not the negatives

Hi Taylor my name is Jodi and I got mine April 17. I thought a lot of emotions because you can't live your life like you used to and it takes a lot to get used to it. I was sad for what I lost which isn't even really a good thing relationship with food wise I love hate kind of thing. I was sad I lost the ability to eat as much as other people. But after I lost 20 pounds I started to see the positives not the negatives

And there will always be negative's but you have to try and do the positives. Which outweighs the other I guess

Although I had a sleeve the ups & downs happen to many of us regardless of the type of surgery. I had complications starting on day 3 which kept me in the hospital for a week. It was great to finally get home, but after a few days of doing nothing but sitting around the house I started to become a real grump and depressed. The first two weeks can be hell. Your body has been through a lot, you can't eat (which obviously we all loved to do!), can't do much physically, and like you said you're often left alone in your thoughts which can get you down.

The first 2-3 weeks are no walk in the park but it does seriously get better. Bit by bit things started to improve, got more energy, was able to add more to my diet, and so on. It's tough being stuck at home so much so hopefully you can at least find a friend or two to come over and enjoy a movie or do something entertaining. I know it sounds lame but things will get better soon. In a few weeks you'll look back and thing that wasn't so bad after all. In the moment it may not seem like it, but it will pass. Best of luck to you!

Taylor this too will pass believe me! I don't believe I've ever even depressed BUT the 2nd month after surgery I was depressed.... I didn't eat I cried ver nothing & all I wanted to do was sleep. Finally at 3rd month I forced myself to get up & move & it was alight bulb went on, started feeling better the shadow lifted.. my surgeon told me it would pass & it did! Hang in there IT WILL GET BETTER I promise!

Taylor, more than anything honey, LOVE YOURSELF! If this was an issue before, clinically speaking, that self loathing is so probably worse and so very destructive. You look beautiful and regardless of what people say, you need to have the "I don't care" mentality! No one has had a lot to say (to my face) anything negative. But you know what? I don't care! You know why? Because I'm doing me for a change! It's been 2 weeks since surgery (4/18) and my weight loss has gone from 1 # a day to fighting to get 10 in the last 14 days. Hang in there. I think. I'm dealing with the stall! And yes, it's so frustrating! You've got a support system here and we're not going anywhere! [emoji7]

I really appreciate this![emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️ I'm here for you as well! xo