Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am still taking anti depressants from post partum depression and have used Xanax when I have anxiety attacks in the last 6 months.

How does this work in to the psych portion? I don't want to be disqualified for something I know will go away with time.

I have my first consultation appointment next week and this has been heavy on my mind.

Be upfront and disclose the medications so they know what you are taking. My psych eval didn't have any concern with my previous use of anti-depressants and my statement that I expect that I will need them again at some point in my life.

The purpose of the pysch eval was to make sure I understand the significant of what I was doing and rule out any major issues that would make it impossible for me to adhere to the post-op instructions / lifestyle change.

My anxiety and depression were not a deal breaker.

I am still taking anti depressants from post partum depression and have used Xanax when I have anxiety attacks in the last 6 months.
How does this work in to the psych portion? I don't want to be disqualified for something I know will go away with time.
I have my first consultation appointment next week and this has been heavy on my mind.

I'm on meds too and it didn't do anything for my evaluation! I told the doctor everything and that was that!

I have anxiety and take medication for it. It wasn't an issue at all with my psych eval. I think they are more focused on making sure (1) you understand the decision you are making and (2) you are prepared to make the lifestyle changes necessary after surgery. Hope that helps! :)

Thank you!

I wouldn't lie because it's all documented in my health history and didn't want to get off on the wrong foot.

I guess i just wanted to make sure that I wasn't getting in to this and then would be let down because I have PPD.

I am glad to know the psych part is mostly about my life changing decision. I doubt many people go in to this type of surgery without thinking it totally through.

I didn't have a psych evaluation here in the UK and I wish they did. Because of hormonal changes my depression and moods have been all over the place. I'm constantly having to readjust my meds but hopefully this will balance out in the long run.