Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor overfilled me and refused to help me

SAR:

Trouble getting fills? You would think this would have been settled in advance, so many fills until you have to pay?

I went to Tijuana, I can get fills for as long as the Dr. is in business. I call a couple days in advance, and he will see me.

it ONLY takes 5-10 minutes.

Hope everything turns out OK, I am sure you can find a Dr. that cares. I guess paying for the band out of pocket, does'nt seem all that bad after all. I was upset that Kaiser Perm. would not cover the band. All in all, I am happy with the whole thing, the staff in Tijuana, Dr. Gonzalez are great. They really seem to care about each person, and their goals. Then again I live close to Mexico, 1 1/2 hour drive.

I am considering Dr. Gonzalez. Any positive or negative things you want to say? And/or is there a thread about him? I am very new to this forum. THanks,

Simego:

I have nothing negitive to say about Dr. Gonzalez. Everyone was so attentive to my needs. Very good experience. I called his office today, and let him know I would like to go get a fill on Monday 29th. No problem come on in at 1:30 pm. We are looking forward to seeing you and your progress. This will be my 3rd fill. You are making a good choise. After our first fill, he asked if we would like to go somewhere in the States to get a fill, if so he would arrange that for us, but we are willing to drive the 1 1/2 hours to Mexico. It is a nice day for my DH to be together. And it is free. Where are you from?

Simego:

I have nothing negitive to say about Dr. Gonzalez. Everyone was so attentive to my needs. Very good experience. I called his office today, and let him know I would like to go get a fill on Monday 29th. No problem come on in at 1:30 pm. We are looking forward to seeing you and your progress. This will be my 3rd fill. You are making a good choise. After our first fill, he asked if we would like to go somewhere in the States to get a fill, if so he would arrange that for us, but we are willing to drive the 1 1/2 hours to Mexico. It is a nice day for my DH to be together. And it is free. Where are you from?

Thanks so much for your reply! I live in Los Angeles, near UCLA. After everything I've read, Tijuana seems like a really good choice. It seems down to Dr. Ortiz or Dr. Gonzalez. Then I was reading so much about fills, and Dr. Ortiz doesn't do his own fills and it seems like some people feel that for after care they're not that terrific, so I was concerned about that. Because it seems like fills and adjusting and everything is a big deal. I am self-pay, and "only" have 50 pounds or so to lose. I like that Dr. Gonzalez was willing to help you find a local doctor b/c that too seems like a problem for people. Did you get the Inamed band? Thanks,

I'm so sorry sar to hear about your situation. What I don't get is that since ins. cos. knows about the lap band and know that fills will be necessary then why won't they pay for all of it.

that sounds like a bunch of crap to me. umph!!!!

My guess is his office staff did not ever give him the message. I have been using Dr. Maese for all my pre-op tests and all my aftercare and he has been very attentive and helpful in all ways for the past 2 years. There are several different 'departments' you can call at his main number....ask to speak to his nurse, not just leave a message with one of the office girls.

(for those of you who are curious about why a cardiologist is doing fills.......he is a cardiologist specializing in bariatric patients and is one of the most experienced and knowlegable doctors in Dallas in the area of weight loss surgeries and bariatric patient care. )

I have recently had a fill but then - within 4 days - got the flu. :sick It was BRUTAL and I couldn't even hold down much Water or maybe some flat sprite. Now my fever has broken and I am starting to feel better, but the fill seems to tight? Has anyone ever had this issue? Is it just swelling or should I just spend the money and get some unfilled? Please let me know if you have been here too.....I am still so worn out that I am having a hard time getting better. :faint:

I have been SEARCHING for a fill doctor too... but, here in California, for the past two months. Every doctor I found had their own issues that I was not too impressed with. So, I returned yesterday to Mexico for my fill ~ and glad I did!

Try Fill Centers USA Fill Centers USA - Weight Loss Surgery - Bariatric Surgery - Gastric Bypass Surgery - Lap Band Surgery Information and Support ~ They may be able to help you. I don't care what anybody says, every single fill needs to be done under flouroscopy, NO MATTER WHAT! That is total F*7#!ing BS that you could have DIED from dehydration... that's so WRONG! Big deal, the ER can give you an IV. So... while you're lying there, who's trying to get ahold of a real doctor for you so you can release some of this saline?

I am so sorry you went through that. I hope you are better now. Good Luck!

I told the dr (a cardiologist in Dallas) that I was hungry :hungry: and he gave me 4cc's. The next day I couldn't swallow 1/2 a cup of tea all day total. I called his office after hours and he wouldn't call me back. His after hours told me to call the ER and they told me they couldn't help me. They could hydrate me but couldn't do anything w/ the band. In 12 hours, I threw up about 50 times. I called the surgeon in the morning and they immediately called me back from the surgery room.:sick He emptied it completely and was real concerned that the dr didn't call me back after doing this to me. I gained 10 lbs after they removed all the Fluid in 1 week. The surgeon had told me to come see him for a fill after the swelling goes down and I am hydrated again. I went and they want to charge me 120.00 for a fill. I need a dr that can do this with my ins/co-pay. These dr's are very popular in Dallas. I need someone I can trust who won't put my health in jeopardy. My MD is shocked :omg:over what is going on. The surgeon says he is not suppose to do fills so I have no options. Other dr's won't take on other dr's patients. Any suggestions??? HELP.:help:

I used Maese also, I was in terrible pain and had a severe infection and needed help. I called him numerous times on a weekend, he NEVER returned my calls and because of his non concern of my well being I had to go to the hospital, his staff told me to go, that he would probably not return my call. $6500.00 for the hospital to tell me I was sick but not sick enough for them to help me. They said I needed to go back to Maese. I questioned him about the not returning my phone call and was told he "only got an hour and a half with his kids a week and I was not there to discuss this, to just discuss my problem that he did not have time to discuss his personal life" AVOID this Dr. he runs people through like cattle and does not seem to take any interest in everyones well being.

My guess is his office staff did not ever give him the message. I have been using Dr. Maese for all my pre-op tests and all my aftercare and he has been very attentive and helpful in all ways for the past 2 years. There are several different 'departments' you can call at his main number....ask to speak to his nurse, not just leave a message with one of the office girls.

(for those of you who are curious about why a cardiologist is doing fills.......he is a cardiologist specializing in bariatric patients and is one of the most experienced and knowlegable doctors in Dallas in the area of weight loss surgeries and bariatric patient care. )

As a nurse, even with an explanation as to why this doctor does fills, it still makes no sense whatsoever for a cardiologist to be doing fills. I think someone needs to make a car payment on his Lexus and this is a way to make a quick buck for him... It just does not seem appropriate that a cardiologist would do this. A surgeons office should do this, or, if another doctor is going to do it besides the surgeon, it would be more appropriate for a radiologist to do it under flouro, or even for an oncologist to do it, as they have far more experience with ports than a cardiologist does. All the cardiologists I work with wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole!!

Kim, Thank you for your reply. I know I am not the only one out there that has had bad experiences. I have found a new place for fills and so far they are wonderful. I have reported Dr. Maese to my insurance co and will be reporting him to the medical board. I am also considering a class act suit against him and stopping him from doing this to other people. The man is crazy and needs to be stopped in his tracks. His personal life is his business but you can't jeopardize peoples health and leave them. If he can't handle it, then he doesn't need to be a doctor. If you are interested in a class action suit let me know. We can talk off line.

SAR

Do you mean $85,000 for lap-band surgery? The surgeon who did my band charges $7,500. He did a great job and fills are free for life. Also someone on his team calls me after surgury and after fills to see how I am doing. If I have any questions or concerns, the MD on his team responses right back to me.

I was banded in Tiajuana MX and know I a more experienced surgeon than in the US.

I'm very sorry to read about your problems.

I am sorry to hear your problems. After reading the behavior of this Dr. Maese in this thread I was going to suggest you contact the medical board, etc. So good for you! Don't be a doormat or bow to the intimidation of some ass*ole doctor. I would also consider a malpractice lawsuit to stir the pot as well. Doctors constantly complain about the cost of malpractice insurance. His negligence is a perfect reason for him to make sure his premiums are paid up.

Personally, a lot of this doesn't sound medically ethical. If it was me, I would be on the phone finding out where I could file formal complaints against the doctor and the surgeon, not to mention the hospital that refused you. The medical board needs to be made aware of all this. Things won't change for the better, if they don't know it's happening. If you have a lawyer, I'd call them too. Your life was in jeapordy. A potential lawsuit gets things changed in record time.

I have recently had a fill but then - within 4 days - got the flu. :sick It was BRUTAL and I couldn't even hold down much Water or maybe some flat sprite. Now my fever has broken and I am starting to feel better, but the fill seems to tight? Has anyone ever had this issue? Is it just swelling or should I just spend the money and get some unfilled? Please let me know if you have been here too.....I am still so worn out that I am having a hard time getting better. :faint:

I would go on just liquids for a week. Warm liquids and warm Water should help a lot. If you cannot hold down warm liquids, then you may be too tight or you stomach is so swollen that You'd need an unfill so you don't dehydrate. Hope things clear up for you.

I would go on just liquids for a week. Warm liquids and warm Water should help a lot. If you cannot hold down warm liquids, then you may be too tight or you stomach is so swollen that You'd need an unfill so you don't dehydrate. Hope things clear up for you.

I am new to all this, but can you call your doctor? I was under the impression that multiple episodes of vomiting could lead to band slippage, so if you seem worse after the vomiting maybe you should let your doctor know? I work with sick kids and my doctor told me that if I got a bad bug and was doing lots of vomiting she would temporarily take out my fill to reduce the risk of slippage.

Jen