Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are my co-workers so obsessed with food?

I have been back to work for 2 days now and my co-workers are killing me. ^_^ Not only do they sit and eat ALL DAY LONG...chips, dip, pizza, Snacks, etc, etc. but they can't be satisfied with just eating, they have to talk about it ALL DAY LONG too. Even the old me, although I did overeat, I did not sit and talk about food all the time. And I certainly think I would have more consideration for someone who had just had weight loss surgery and was starving on a liquid diet. Sorry, I just had to vent. :angry

LOL they are probably councious of their food because your not eatting. so they talk to make them selfs not feel bad about eatting so much.

One of my co-workers eats pancakes with Syrup every morning. Thank god the smell is almost enough to make me sick to my stomach it smells too sweet like anti-freeze

Hang in there,Mandi. One day soon, you will look at them & think "how can they eat like that."

I remember, just after surgery, when I was starving, & I yelled at my 5 year old niece for not cleaning her plate. I couldn't believe she had food & wasn't going to eat it, while I was going hungry.

Now, I watch my husband eat & say, " You just put more food in your mouth, in one bite, than I eat in a whole meal."

I can hardly stand to watch other people eat.

It will get easier...& you will get the last laugh.

Happy loosing:>)

It seems everytime I turn around someone is having a retirement/birthday/welcome to the company cake. If not that, then someone will go out and get Breakfast tacos. The smell is soooo good, I can't stand it! How do skinny people manage to sit and eat all day long? At 9am, they're talking about lunch!

ARGH...what's a bander to do?

I'm at home all day , with the fridge. My DH keeps it stocked with ice cream & pies. He always has cooking & chips here.

Even tho I don't work , I still have to face the demans evey day. I guess we just have to get tough. If we are tough enough to go through surgery, surely we can find the strength to just say "no way." Or, at least only eat a little. :>)

There's plenty of people around who are just plain lucky and can eat a lot without gaining. I accepted long ago that I just was not one of those people.

There's also plenty of thin people around who eat sensibly and dont label foods good/bad, partake in celebratory cakes and drinks etc but just dont overdo it. I'm one of those now! I dont fear food, but I can also look at people stuffing crap in their mouths all day long and think "well, you're lucky you stay thin but you're probably not healthy" There's a price to treating your body like that, some of us pay it in fat but nearly all of us pay for it with cardiovascular disease, diabetes etc at some point in time. Whether it kills us or not is something we find out down the track.

The way people eat in general though, the types of foods and the overeating, the amount of alcohol they consume (oh, the Aussie man and his beer!) is just plain disgusting when you really look at it. No wonder our kids are becoming obese at younger and younger ages, we are raising them in a culture of utter excess. Its very sad really.

And it takes a very strong person to break from it, so we can all give ourselves a big pat on the back!

Coming to terms with food is the only way out for me. I work in a cafeteria and have spent 20 years manageing different food service businesses.

It's a pain!

Jacqi speaks the truth.

I have been back to work for 2 days now and my co-workers are killing me. :) Not only do they sit and eat ALL DAY LONG...chips, dip, pizza, Snacks, etc, etc. but they can't be satisfied with just eating, they have to talk about it ALL DAY LONG too. Even the old me, although I did overeat, I did not sit and talk about food all the time. And I certainly think I would have more consideration for someone who had just had weight loss surgery and was starving on a liquid diet. Sorry, I just had to vent. :angry

Aha! Reason #27 why I am NOT going back to work before my two weeks liquid diet is finished.

It's funny how conscious I've become of how much people eat. Just tonight, DH and I went to Applebee's...we had grilled chicken salads. It took us forever to eat (we're both banded) and we noticed large people eating large portions and recalled how we used to eat like that...and more! Before, we'd think "how much food can I get for the least price?" It was almost a game! Now, we look at those ginormous portions and it makes us feel woooooozy to think about trying to tackle those plates.

One day, when those co-workers are pigging out...you'll be wondering HOW in the WORLD they can eat so much....because there's no way you can eat like that any more :car: It will be a good feeling...knowing you have control, thanks to you and your lil friend, the band! :)

One day, when those co-workers are pigging out...you'll be wondering HOW in the WORLD they can eat so much....because there's no way you can eat like that any more :woot: It will be a good feeling...knowing you have control, thanks to you and your lil friend, the band! ;)

Isn't that true? I was at a restaurant the other day with a friend and I saw the largest women I believe I have ever seen that could still walk. Honestly, I don't know how she did walk. They were sitting next to us and I was shocked at the amount of food two people can eat. They just kept at it.

I wanted SOOOOO bad to run over and tell them about the lap band. Not to be mean, just because I know it works. Obviously, I didn't do that and I wouldn't. But I sure wanted to. Both were extremely large people but especially the women. It made me feel so bad for her.

Even some normal size people, makes me wonder if they are filling up their left leg when they eat. I don't know where they put it anymore.

This post reminded me that people always assume that since I'm over-weight I must have food in my desk. I told them that fI don't have food in my desks. Why? I will eat it till it's gone. The skinny people always have a half bag of chips or crackers or whatever lerking in their desks. They eat, but not until it's all gone. I can't wait to be like that. I'm at the "waiting for approval" stage.

I just wanted to share ... I went for my first fill at 6 weeks post op 9/14/07 and was following the mushy diet even though I didn't have very much restriction (guess my stomach didn't swell much?) just because I need for this to work. Well while I am sitting there waiting to see my doctor a delivery guy comes in and brings in 5 pizzas, calzones and hot antipasto for the office staff. Plus they just left it sitting there for a few minutes before anyone brought it back. All 30 people in the waiting room who had just had WLS or were going to be having it soon turned and stared. The smell was intoxicating. I was pretty miffed, I couldn't believe that they would do something so insensitive in a room full of people with an obvious addiction to food. So even those who should know better are sometimes callous.

I just wanted to share ... I went for my first fill at 6 weeks post op 9/14/07 and was following the mushy diet even though I didn't have very much restriction (guess my stomach didn't swell much?) just because I need for this to work. Well while I am sitting there waiting to see my doctor a delivery guy comes in and brings in 5 pizzas, calzones and hot antipasto for the office staff. Plus they just left it sitting there for a few minutes before anyone brought it back. All 30 people in the waiting room who had just had WLS or were going to be having it soon turned and stared. The smell was intoxicating. I was pretty miffed, I couldn't believe that they would do something so insensitive in a room full of people with an obvious addiction to food. So even those who should know better are sometimes callous.

OMG, that is ridiculous. How inconsiderate could they be?

See, I don't really think that's inconsiderate. I mean, heck, skinny people have to eat, too. I doubt it would have mattered what was brought in, people would have been enticed by the smell. Is the office staff not supposed to eat just because they have patients that can't?

I understand getting irritated at people because they get to eat what you and I can't. And I really understand being shocked by the sheer amount that unbanded people can stuff their faces with. But I really don't think most people are intentionally being insensitive. They're just eating. I don't think they should have to eat unappetizing food or have it delivered by the back door, just to make us feel better.