Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks to surgery - fear and doubt creeping in

I have researched wls for 2 years. I have spent hundreds of hours reading forums, talking to health care professionals and people who have had wls. I finally decided to get the sleeve and have gone through all my appointments: sleep, pulmonary, cardiology, psych, nutrition, biometrics. I am about to start my preop diet and now I am losing confidence!!

I have about 80 pounds to lose and I have been unsuccessful for 12 years now! But there is this voice in my head saying that maybe if I try hard enough one more time, I can do it myself. Even though I have failed countless times in the past. I have been super excited and confident about my decision up until now. Now I'm afraid: of recovery, of missing eating big salads, of losing my hair, of malnutrition, of pain!

Any advice, my sage veterans?!!!

I followed my diabetic husband through 15 years of weight loss seminars that seemed too invasive for him. Finally we met the most wonderful surgeon at a seminar, and learned of the sleeve. I had a low BMI, but my husband would not have done this surgery unless I led him to it. I really was scared to lose him due to diabetic problems. We had Rescue on speed dial. We were 67 years old, and this has been life changing. We would do it again in a heartbeat. I feel it has added life to our years!!!!!!! He has lost over 100 lbs and life is so much better,no Rescue calls, no more being unconscious during the night, we are both off one blood pressure med each. I am off Metformin. My husband was FAT his entire life, sadly. He was on Optifast twice at $5,000 a pop. He lost 100 lbs each time but gained it back immediately. I would say start living. Do it.

Most of us have lost substantial weight by ourselves without surgery in the past. However, the main problem is keeping off the weight. For me, the sleeve has offered a glimmer of hope for keeping the weight off long-term.

What is the point of losing 100 pounds on your own through diet and exercise when you always regain it in a year or two? I have no regrets about bariatric surgery. I prefer being normal-weight over the ability to wolf down a large meal or oversized salad.

Good luck to you.

I went through the denial and self reassuring for years. I even backed out of the procedure rny when my insurance would have covered it. Three years later, I was nearing prediabetes, high cholesterol & im only 25. I lost 40 pds on my own two years ago and gained it plus more back. I decided enough was enough, and opted for the vsg & paid for the procedure. I'm no vet but this procedure is life changing. You will learn to adjust to your new norm. As time goes on the restrictions lesson and you will eat a decent amount of food, but if you want to eat large portions you need to reconsider. Even if you only eat four small meals a day, why does that matter? You will not be hungry

I went through the denial and self reassuring for years. I even backed out of the procedure rny when my insurance would have covered it. Three years later, I was nearing prediabetes, high cholesterol & im only 25. I lost 40 pds on my own two years ago and gained it plus more back. I decided enough was enough, and opted for the vsg & paid for the procedure. I'm no vet but this procedure is life changing. You will learn to adjust to your new norm. As time goes on the restrictions lesson and you will eat a decent amount of food, but if you want to eat large portions you need to reconsider. Even if you only eat four small meals a day, why does that matter? You will not be hungry

Love this perspective - thank you! How long ago did you have the procedure?

Most of us have lost substantial weight by ourselves without surgery in the past. However, the main problem is keeping off the weight. For me, the sleeve has offered a glimmer of hope for keeping the weight off long-term.
What is the point of losing 100 pounds on your own through diet and exercise when you always regain it in a year or two? I have no regrets about bariatric surgery. I prefer being normal-weight over the ability to wolf down a large meal or oversized salad.< br> Good luck to you.

I long to be able to say I am normal weight! Thank you for your words- the long term is so important.

I followed my diabetic husband through 15 years of weight loss seminars that seemed too invasive for him. Finally we met the most wonderful surgeon at a seminar, and learned of the sleeve. I had a low BMI, but my husband would not have done this surgery unless I led him to it. I really was scared to lose him due to diabetic problems. We had Rescue on speed dial. We were 67 years old, and this has been life changing. We would do it again in a heartbeat. I feel it has added life to our years!!!!!!! He has lost over 100 lbs and life is so much better,no Rescue calls, no more being unconscious during the night, we are both off one blood pressure med each. I am off Metformin. My husband was FAT his entire life, sadly. He was on Optifast twice at $5,000 a pop. He lost 100 lbs each time but gained it back immediately. I would say start living. Do it.

What an amazing journey! I have heard many people say the only regret they have - is not doing it sooner. I'm currently 38 and i would
love to be at a healthy weight by the time I'm 40! I've been overweight my entire 30s.

1 hour ago, smsmith said:

Love this perspective - thank you! How long ago did you have the procedure?

I was sleeved 3/13/2017 :)

Thank you so much for your inspiring post. I needed it.

1 hour ago, smsmith said:

Sweet! How has recovery been? Especially the first week?

It's been great. The first week was hard but I managed to get through it.

It was hard feeling like I led him to it. I had asthma, HBP and diabetes. Those cormidibities led me at 230 lbs to qualify for the surgery. I went first, being strong. My husband would tell you today that it is the best thing that has ever happened to him in his life. It was SCARY but thank GOD it has changed our lives. You won't regret it.