Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks from surgery, fear and doubts!

I have researched wls for 2 years. I have spent hundreds of hours reading forums, talking to health care professionals and people who have had wls. I finally decided to get the sleeve and have gone through all my appointments: sleep, pulmonary, cardiology, psych, nutrition, biometrics. I am about to start my preop diet and now I am losing confidence!!

I have about 80 pounds to lose and I have been unsuccessful for 12 years now! But there is this voice in my head saying that maybe if I try hard enough one more time, I can do it myself. Even though I have failed countless times in the past. I have been super excited and confident about my decision up until now. Now I'm afraid: of recovery, of missing eating big salads, of losing my hair, of malnutrition, of pain!

Any advice, my sage veterans?!!!

Having Gastric Bypass surgery last October was the best thing I have ever done for myself. For years I swore I would never have WLS. But High Blood Pressure, borderline Type II diabetes, and bad knees to the point where I couldn't stand for more than 10 minutes, etc finally pushed me over the edge. I was looking at having to have 2 knee replacements and I figured 1 operation was better than two and if I still need the knee replacements at least the recovery would be 100% easier if I weighed less.

I never felt full prior to surgery, now as long as I eat my Protein first, I have that full feeling that keeps me from eating too much. At this point I can eat pretty much anything - even salad but I do avoid sugary Desserts and fried foods so I don't have any dumping episodes. I can tell you that the fact I can walk 45 minutes without having to sit down and be in pain far outweighs the sadness I may feel occasionally about not being able to eat that chocolate mousse or fried chicken wing. I have so much more energy and my blood pressure medicine has been cut in half and no more borderline diabetes.

I only wish I had done it years ago before the arthritis took hold in my knees, back and neck.

You've gone thru your medical workup & doc had said you're good to go. Yay! When you get super nervous, try to think of all cool things about your new body. You'll be healthier. Less joint pain if you have it now, sleep better, more active & not shopping for plus size clothes is pretty good too. Is there anything you've wanted to do right now that you've not done due to your weight? Horseback riding? Tropical vacation? Hang gliding? Zip lining? When you get nervous, maybe try to visualize that? Even taking a walk at a faster pace without being out of breath is nice to think about. My doc says he's more concerned about people who are not even a little nervous before surgery.

I'm 8 weeks post surgery and have NO regrets. Wish I had done this 20 years ago! Hang in there- it is normal to be anxious and nervous! The time will go fast and the results so worth all your anxiety! Good Luck to you, brave decision-maker!

I'm 8 weeks post surgery and have NO regrets. Wish I had done this 20 years ago! Hang in there- it is normal to be anxious and nervous! The time will go fast and the results so worth all your anxiety! Good Luck to you, brave decision-maker!

Thanks for sharing, my paperwork went to the insurance company last Friday and I've been having alot of anxiety ever since I finished my last nut appointment. I'm really happy to hear that there are no regrets.

I was nervous before surgery too. But I did my research and selected a great surgeon and I followed all pre-op dietary recommendations to the "tee."

Regarding whether to have surgery or not? The percentage of people that regain weight after dieting is 95% so the chance of you finally losing and maintaining weight loss on your own is very slim.

recovery was easy

I had almost no pain

I didn't lose any hair (although most people lose *some* - a majority just heavy shedding and they're the only ones who notice)

when I now see things like giant restaurant meals (even entree salads), all I can think is, "how the hell could anyone eat that much?"

you'll do fine and afterward you'll be really glad you did it

recovery was easy
I had almost no pain
I didn't lose any hair (although most people lose *some* - a majority just heavy shedding and they're the only ones who notice)
when I now see things like giant restaurant meals (even entree salads), all I can think is, "how the hell could anyone eat that much?"
you'll do fine and afterward you'll be really glad you did it

Awesome! Thanks for the encouragement.

I feel the same way. I'm waiting on insurance approval but since my initial visit with surgeon, NUT, psych... I've lost 15 pounds in about 24 days. Which I'm really happy with. And I think maybe I should try one more time on my own... But how many times have I done that?!?!

I I know how you feel. But I need permanent help. A permanent tool.