Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

i had my lap band removed in May 2016 - out of necessity rather than want. It took a couple of years but I lost 176lb /76kg - the problem being in the last year I think my band twisted and I couldn't eat much and became malnourished with damage done to my vagus nerve resulting in blackouts/convulsions and general ill health with my BMI hitting 18 at its lowest. I was skinny but with no energy and felt like I was slowly dying.

My surgeon at the time said I should get a bypass revision but I refused as I foolishly believed food was no longer an issue for me and I'd be able to keep the weight off easily.

I had a difficult surgery and was in a lot of pain afterwards and extremely weak.

Anyways, without boring you lot with my history- after a couple of set backs personal and physical I ended up putting on the weight rapidly and am back to square one. I can't believe I have done this to myself after all the work I had put in over the last few years to end up here again.

I went back to my surgeon and after his 'I told you so' got a massive quote €€€ as my insurance won't cover it as I don't have co morbidities...

so now I am looking at cheaper alternatives in Europe with Estonia on my list. I am going to look at Belgium too.

i am fearful though of malnourishment being an issue with bypass and conceiving in the future (I'm married 2 1/2 years and my Hubbie really wants a kid soon). Of course another obstacle will be my husband as I know he going to be against me going under the knife again and thanks I can do it on my own...

i don't even think I have posed a coherent question here- I guess I am venting my story

so guys, hopefully this wasn't too painful to read through but I know we are all here as a support network and I'm so glad to have found this forum.

oh, port pain! I still have it from time to time - it's nearly a year later- any of u in the same boat?

take care,

mc

Hey there! Sorry to hear about what you have went through, I just had my band removed + revision to the bypass 6 days ago and I am down 20 lbs. my band was NOTHING but trouble since day 1 and it spiraled me into depression for the three years I had to deal with it. Already my RNY has been good to me and I haven't even been able to go to the gym yet! I personally highly recommend the RNY because all of these wls are equally risky in their own way!
If you have any questions please ask although like I said I'm only 6 days out !
Good luck [emoji173]️

Sorry to hear about your problem as well...I had my band removed Oct 2016, and if you take time to read my profile, I had the same issue as both of you...when my doctor finally took it out, my band had pulled my esophagus down causing me to pass out, be nauseous, not able to eat, and damaged my vagus nerve as well...after talking to my doctor, who is also now my surgeon, we both agreed that the bypass would be the best alternative for me...with the sleeve, you can gain all the weight back, but with the bypass, it keeps you in check...besides i have acid reflux and the bypass eliminates that problem completely....best of luck to you and keep looking forward!:91_thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your problem as well...I had my band removed Oct 2016, and if you take time to read my profile, I had the same issue as both of you...when my doctor finally took it out, my band had pulled my esophagus down causing me to pass out, be nauseous, not able to eat, and damaged my vagus nerve as well...after talking to my doctor, who is also now my surgeon, we both agreed that the bypass would be the best alternative for me...with the sleeve, you can gain all the weight back, but with the bypass, it keeps you in check...besides i have acid reflux and the bypass eliminates that problem completely....best of luck to you and keep looking forward!:91_thumbsup:

That is terrible :( I am glad that you will soon have your bypass! By the way what part of AZ are you from? I lived in Gilbert the last 6 years but am temporarily in New York

1 minute ago, lf1227 said:

That is terrible :( I am glad that you will soon have your bypass! By the way what part of AZ are you from? I lived in Gilbert the last 6 years but am temporarily in New York

I live in Gilbert as well...well my hubby is currently stationed in CO, but our home is still in Gilbert...we're natives and miss home...I have family that lives in Hyde Park....Small world...;-)

Ahhh! That is awesome! Definitely keep in touch! [emoji173]️

2 hours ago, lf1227 said:

Ahhh! That is awesome! Definitely keep in touch! emoji173.png

Ditto hun! :777_revolving_hearts:

On 12/04/2017 at 11:16 PM, ItalianGirlAZ said:

Thanks guys for the replies! I was looking at mini bypass but some studies show greater malabsorption than bypass so now I'm leaning bypass again. I am having a hard time feeling alone in these decisions as I feel like I can't tell my family or friends- those that knew of my band were dead set against it. When I git it removed and was advised at the time by my surgeon to get bypass done 6 weeks later they were totally against it. I was afraid too as I had been so so ill and I really thought I had gotten over my food issues because eating was a chore.

i still haven't told anyone yet about my plans - not even my Hubbie , and I feel terrible ...I'm dreading the confrontation, but I just feel like I can't go on the cycle of yo yo dieting for the rest of my life. I beat that when I had the tool of the band.

On 4/14/2017 at 3:34 AM, Mizmarycate said:

Thanks guys for the replies! I was looking at mini bypass but some studies show greater malabsorption than bypass so now I'm leaning bypass again. I am having a hard time feeling alone in these decisions as I feel like I can't tell my family or friends- those that knew of my band were dead set against it. When I git it removed and was advised at the time by my surgeon to get bypass done 6 weeks later they were totally against it. I was afraid too as I had been so so ill and I really thought I had gotten over my food issues because eating was a chore.

i still haven't told anyone yet about my plans - not even my Hubbie , and I feel terrible ...I'm dreading the confrontation, but I just feel like I can't go on the cycle of yo yo dieting for the rest of my life. I beat that when I had the tool of the band.

I totally understand your frustrations and un-nerving thoughts that make you feel as if you're going round and round in circles and not being able to focus on whats best for YOU....been there, done that....the biggest thing you need to ask yourself is this...Am I really ready to dedicate myself to changing my eating habits, my lifestyle and overall thinking of how food is secondary in your life, not first...the only thing that should be first in your life is YOU...The bypass does not allow you to binge eat, slip up, or emotional eat...if you cant commit to changing your old ways and going forward with the new, you may need to revisit this option and decision at a later date....hopefully, as it was in my case, the band made me force those old habits to be gone, and now its going to be easy to stay true to the new ones I've developed going forward with the bypass...regardless of what you decide, we are all here for you, to support you, and totally understand what you're facing because we're all going through it with you, others who aren't in your shoes tend to criticize more and not really understand us, so its easier to presume whats best for us...its always easier to speak your mind for others when those people aren't walking in your shoes...be strong, step back, take a breath, and see what YOU feel is right for you...I am fortunate that my hubby & family love me unconditionally and stand by me 110%...I believe the same will be true for you...:91_thumbsup::780_sparkling_heart: