Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the sipping ever end!!! and other reasons to compain.

I have been sipping Soup, juice, and Water and I am frustrated. It's bad enough I am extremely hungry, but now I cannot finish anything I start, not becuase I physically can't I just get annoyed and give up. I know I need to have at least 60 oz of water a day but how can anyone really do it when you are sipping all day long. My soup always gets cold before I am done, and instead of reheating I just save it for later. And between gas pain and hunger pangs I think my stomach is going to explode. I am feeling a little dizzy so I bought a liquid Multivitamin to put in my juice but guess what sip sip sip...frustration sets in....:). I need this nourishment, but for some reason my head is getting in the way. Is anyone else having this problem? And when does the sipping end?!?

This is truly bandster hell.

Dee Dee

I really think they just want you to drink slowly and not get a lot of air which could be miserable.

I was banded on 09-28-07 and have been drinking a little faster just not gulping and I seem to be doing fine.

Good luck.

My water bottle is with me all day and sitting by the bed at night. The sipping/slow drinking will go on, according to my dr.

I have one of those cup warmers that you set cups on for keeping Soup warm. They work good. I think it came from Walmart. I manage about 120 oz of liquid per day and that takes care of most hunger. 12 days till my first fill....Dave

Boo Boo Kitty,

What a beautiful picture. Wow You are an inspiration to all of us that are struggling with this band at times. Thank you!!!!!

This is truly bandster hell.
Wait until your esophagus has been trying to unstick something for four hours, and then tell me that cold Soup is truly bandster hell. :heh:

When were you banded? I had much the same questions when I was fresh out, and then I ralized that the instructions I had been given were really for RnY patients. Of course follow your surgeon's orders, etc. - but if you aren't restricted, I'd think you could go a little faster than sip. Try small drinks and see how you feel. Unless you're extremely restricted, already have food in the pouch, etc. watery liquids tend to go right through, like a funnel.

Just my experience - I sipped for a handful of days. I actually did the math at one point and if I had followed my surgeon's instructions, it would have been physically impossible to get in the amount of plain Water & Protein they were telling me to get in. Even if I had stayed up 24hrs, I couldn't have done it. So I called, and that's when I found out about the RnY guidelines, and was told "as tolerated" for everything except food - they wanted me to be very stringent about following the food rules. The nurse (good lady) actually giggled - oh hon, you're one of the only ones who has paid any attention to that.

After the first handful, I started taking normal drinks, but would hold it in my mouth and swallow it in a few swallows. Larger than a sip, not quite a full swallow. I would see how it felt. I'd say within a month I was drinking normal. TO date I still don't gulp the way I used to, but I can drink in a normal way.

You were banded 8/28 are are still at the sipping stages?? It seems to me you'd be on the soft food stage and drinking regularly (just not gulping).

You stated in your original post that it's not because you "can't". So, perhaps you should contact your surgeons office for some clarification. I just know that after the first two weeks, my surgeon said I should be able to increase my drinking and by four weeks, I should be back to normal with liquids (without gulping of course).

You were banded 8/28 are are still at the sipping stages?? It seems to me you'd be on the soft food stage and drinking regularly (just not gulping).

You stated in your original post that it's not because you "can't". So, perhaps you should contact your surgeons office for some clarification. I just know that after the first two weeks, my surgeon said I should be able to increase my drinking and by four weeks, I should be back to normal with liquids (without gulping of course).

I was banded on 8/23 and have been on solids for about 2 weeks-ish. I did follow the liquid diet as suggested by my doc but moved reasonably quickly through the "full liquid" and then onto the mushies. Is it possible that sweetspots doc is just very conservative? Sipping through life is the pits! I too can take a full drink and swallow bits of it at a time. It just feels good to have the Fluid all over my mouth. I will say that small bites and the chew chew chew chew chewing takes a concerted effort!

weight.png

I was banded on 8/27 and I was able to move on from the sipping stage after about a week. I drink the same as I always did at this point. I just try not to "gulp" because I think that contributes to a lot of air going down. I have been burping A LOT as it is. (it's a joke in my house at this point). I try to get between 80-100ozs of liquid per day.

I transitioned to solid foods this week. Are you still on a liquid diet? Not even mushies?

Dave – the mug warmer is an AWESOME idea! Could you put a little saucer plate on there? Since I just started solids I am taking it very slow with my meals and noticed most times things get cold before I can finish.

Hi Dee Dee,

Sorry you're having trouble. I was banded on 9-20-07 and i am about to go to the "mushies" stage. Are you still on liquids? I am to the point where i can drink almost normal with the exeption of gulping. Hope things get better. Let us know how you're doing.

Pamela

Banded 9-20-07

Oops I was banded 9/28 not 8/28. Fat fingers.

That makes sense to me now! Hang in there .....it gets better.

Oops I was banded 9/28 not 8/28. Fat fingers.

OOOOOOHHHH! That DOES make a difference!!! Yeah, the sipping does end...you don't have long to go now. Hang in there...you'll make it! :)