Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irrational Fears (phobias and the like)

DerickM

They don't HAVE to make sense your just uneasy with certain things. Mine are:

Chainsaws, I can be around them and work right alongside them with no problem whatsoever BUT I am extremely nervous when I operate one. ;)

Spiders, I blame my upbringing! when the person that you trust most is holding you and runs away screaming bloody murder when she/he sees a spider it does tend to impress upon you. :tired

Bees. And I'm freaked about every other flying insect because of it, too.

Heights, to a certain extent. I can only tolerate heights if I am certain that I won't fall. I can't go up to the edge of a cliff if there is nothing to keep me from falling, but I can go if there's a wall that's at least waist height.

Frogs. I have no idea where this fear came from, but I'd rather poke my eyes out with a pencil than hold a frog. Ugh, even the thought of it makes me feel physically ill.

Mine's recent.. my DH has a joke that I have GAD (General Anxiety Disorder, funny commercial we heard on the radio).

I am terrified I'm going to die some flukey way. I really am so happy in life right now.. just bought our first house, 2 cars, married, dog, 3 cats, talking about kids in the next couple of years, great careers, now I'm banded and getting skinny.. my life just is 'picture perfect'--to me anyway. And I feel like I could lose it by something stupid. I watch too much Fox News I think.

We live near a railroad track and an airport. Everytime I hear planes going over, or the trains going by.. my heart pounds, I keep thinking something is going to crash into our house. It's an irrational fear, and I know it, and I scold myself everytime I freak out.. but can't help it. And they go by all day every day.

I'm afraid when we drive now, we're going to get into a wreck. I'm afraid someone is going to break in and mug us, shoot us in our sleep.. even though we live in an upper class neighborhood, and I've never been in this situation and it's silly for me to even worry about these things.

When I did my pre-op crazy exam, I talked to him about these irrational fears. They're very religious oriented at my surgeon's office, and he told me if I'm a Christian I shouldn't fear dying. I know what he means, but that doesn't really ease my fears.. I'm not READY. But I digress..

I'm terrified of the dark, I won't go outside at night by myself.

And lastly, I can't go to a store by myself. I do have bad anxiety attacks when I go to say Wal-Mart alone.

So.. that's me, I'm fighting my demons with fears lately!!

I think many of us are just fearful of the success we have and are afraid that we don't deserve a happy life. WE DO! Everyone should be happy but we have hidden ourselves away for so long that to be a part of the "other" world is just as fearful as being laughed at for our weight. Maybe you need to talk with others about it and then it will calm down. Please don't let the fear stop you from moving to your goal. We all have to go through the fears to get into our new "safe zones" in the thin world.

God bless.

;)

I'm deathly afraid of wasps. I don't know what it is about them, but I will run away screaming anytime I see one, even if it's a generous distance away from me.

Tornados also scare the crap out of me. I have nightmares about them all the time, but I've only actually witnessed one or two of them.

I have no true phobias (a debilitating fear that you literally cannot function through).

Things I strongly dislike include:

Large spiders. Tiny ones don't bother me, but anything bigger than say, a quarter, gives me big creeps.

Exposed heights - I'm fine in an airplane, helicopter, etc. - and will stare out the window all day, but I'm enclosed. If you put me on the edge of a cliff, that's a different story. I don't think I could do a hot air balloon. I like roller coasters (if they don't drop), but freak on the ferris wheel. (I will also get mild vertigo in these situations, sometimes a really long stairway is enough to do it).

I have a fear of being left behind... or abandoned by those around me.

If I allow it to happen, it can even lead to serious anxiety attacks. Generally, though I keep my wits about me and just feel ill.

Ironically enough... is a big reason I'd rather be by myself. The actual fear isn't of being alone... just of being left or abandoned. I don;t have that fear when there is no one around to leave me.

Mine is somewhat rational however... but obviously, still somewhat irrational.

-------------------

Also, a fear of deep Water... not seeing what is below me when i am in it. I imagine the most grotesque things lurking beneath me. Again, I can control it sometimes. But not always.

I have a fear of being left behind... or abandoned by those around me.

If I allow it to happen, it can even lead to serious anxiety attacks. Generally, though I keep my wits about me and just feel ill.

Ironically enough... is a big reason I'd rather be by myself. The actual fear isn't of being alone... just of being left or abandoned. I don;t have that fear when there is no one around to leave me.

Mine is somewhat rational however... but obviously, still somewhat irrational.

-------------------

Also, a fear of deep Water... not seeing what is below me when i am in it. I imagine the most grotesque things lurking beneath me. Again, I can control it sometimes. But not always.

and a fear of my music list apparently :)

Slugs. And Rainforests. The rainforest is beautiful, but you can't walk through it without getting slug slime on your shoes. And slug slime is nasty stuff. Totally creeps me out.

My 'normal' fears include spiders.. I hate hate hate them. I will scream like a little girl (oh wait, I am one) if I see it in the same room. I can't go near it, I think it'll jump on me.. and in my defense I HAVE SEEN SPIDERS JUMP AT ME! My DH gives me hell about that all the time. He has to drop whatever he is doing that very moment and remove said spider.. Otherwise it might crawl and hide and come back out at a later time :):(

And a general fear of any bugs. I don't like bugs.

I never thought it was neat to collect them in jars or anything like that. Bugs belong squished in tissues in the garbage. Squished by someone else, though.

Super high escalators, like DuPont Circle in D.C. That terrifies me. Doesn't matter if I am going up or down - I freak.....

mice:paranoid-I cannot sleep if I know one has gotten in the house. The sad thing is that I live in the country folks!

stinging insects-bees, wasps, etc.- this one is not as strong as the mice fear but is very real to me.

This is the biggie-------Speaking in public. I struggled through public speaking in college but the phobia wasn't full blown like it is now. I get physically ill at the prospect of it. I read once that more people fear public speaking than fear death. I must not be alone in this one!:cry

1. I have social anxiety disorder...

2. Fear of heights in open areas...(example: I tried doing a ropes course and it didn't go very well. I love roller coasters, ok w/planes. I just don't like not having anything over me.

3. Hypocondria (sickness and pain, not really death)

4. Rodents (unless they are in a cage or pets)

5. Snakes (unless they are in a cage or pets)

6. Black Ants (in large amounts make me break out in hives)