Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded??? Check in here

Well, to tired to type much at the moment, but it's over, kids. Crossin' my finger the next couple of days won't be so bad. I can't believe it's over!

I posted earlier with my post-op day 5 concerns...now on day 8 and let me tell you...I feel fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By day 6 I turned a major corner. I am more empowered than ever. I started a new thread I was so happy! I want to tell all you bandsters what amazing, strong, courageous, wonderful risk takers we are! It takes very strong character to select major lifestyle changes. I made the best decision for my life. Do the program. Do what you are suppose to do. It works if we work it...so work it!! Keep in touch, ask for help, share your stories. We are not alone. We are bold, beautiful people who have been blessed with an amazing tool. We made a decision based on our DESIRE to change. We seek help because we are strong, not weak. This is our time...it is our turn...it is new now. Do not ever settle again for surviving through each day....but LIVE each day. Live life today.

I wish your enthusiasm was more contagious- at day 11 I am hungry, and axiously awaiting starting real food this weekend- but I agree with you, to get this far, we must be pretty great people!

I was banded on 10/9/2007 by Dr. R. Marvin in Houston. I have occasional gas pains but for the most part, I'm doing fine. I don't have any complaints or concerns. I'm a little hugry, but I"m able to handle the cravings with Ice and Popcicles.

Surgery today with very little pain, but am keeping on the pain meds to keep it in check. Pre op diet went well since I lost 10 pounds and dr said my liver looked good. I was hungry when I woke up, contrary to everything I had heard and don't know if SF pops, Jello and broth is going to cut it for much longer.

Way to go all my other band-mates and looking forward to a new me!

Sue

I posted earlier with my post-op day 5 concerns...now on day 8 and let me tell you...I feel fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By day 6 I turned a major corner. I am more empowered than ever. I started a new thread I was so happy! I want to tell all you bandsters what amazing, strong, courageous, wonderful risk takers we are! It takes very strong character to select major lifestyle changes. I made the best decision for my life. Do the program. Do what you are suppose to do. It works if we work it...so work it!! Keep in touch, ask for help, share your stories. We are not alone. We are bold, beautiful people who have been blessed with an amazing tool. We made a decision based on our DESIRE to change. We seek help because we are strong, not weak. This is our time...it is our turn...it is new now. Do not ever settle again for surviving through each day....but LIVE each day. Live life today.

I totally understand where you are coming from! Hey I might be hungry, but I have real hope that I never had before. It is our time...this is our moment. We totally deserve it! I am with you 100%!!!

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Hello to all! Well, I was successfully banded this morning! Yay! For all those who long for details (as I did), here is my story...

Went in at 6 am and was taken back almost immediately. The nurse had me change, asked me a bunch of standard questions, and had me pee in a cup (preg test). I was surprisingly calm through all this - I had predicted a MAJOR panic attack, but I was cool. Then the nurse tried (unsuccessfully) to start the IV, and said the anesthesiologist would do it later.

Next, with husband, mom, and sister in tow, we went down to another room at about 7:30 where I met my anesthesiologist - crazy, funny British guy who had us all cracking up....and.....I was still not nervous, can you believe it? He finally (after 3 failed attempts) got my IV started (my wrists and forearms are sore!). Just about then I felt my stomach start to flutter, and the nerves kicked in. However, before it could get too bad, they had me give the the family a hug and kiss, and he injected the "happy juice" as they call it. Within about 10 seconds I was super giddy and trying not to giggle as they wheeled me to the OR. After that I vaguely remember seeing several people hovering around me in the OR - and I thought "All these people, just for me?" Then someone put the oxygen mask over my face and ........

10:00 am and nurse Tom is saying hello to me. The first thing I asked him was how my surgery went (in my head: "Am I banded??!") He said all went smoothly and then asked me about my pain levels. I was SUPER groggy but wiggled around a little and decided I was a little uncomfortable. He gave me something in the IV and, oh man, within seconds I felt awesome! Then he also gave me some liquid Lortab which actually tasted good since I was so thirsty and had had nothing to drink for several hours. Still pretty out of it when my surgeon stopped by briefly. He said all went well, the liver looked good. He quickly left as he had other cases waiting in line, but I was happily reassured that I was fine. Oh, and I had no nausea at ALL! I was so worried about that. After about 15 more minutes, he wheeled me into recovery where my sweet family met me.

The nurse had me sit up a little, which didn't feel so great on the larger incision and made me feel the gas a little bit more, but I did whatever they asked because I was ready to go home so bad! Then, I requested to get up and walk - it's like you innately know that being up and moving will help you feel better. It felt weird to be upright, and I couldn't straighten all the way up, plus for some reason I was taking these tiny little old lady steps - it was pretty funny actually. But we ended up walking a long way and the nurse was really surprised that I was doing so well. Anyway, to wrap this up: they made me pee, gave me my post op instructions, mom helped me get dressed, and I was out the door by noon!

Since then I have had some mild to moderate incision pain, and just occasional gas pain. I take the Lortab pretty much exactly when it's recommended - trust me, this helps ALOT! Good stuff. If I sit too long, I feel stiff when I get up, but I have been walking alot and this helps. I am able to sip Water, diluted apple juice, and broth with no problems at all, but I am taking it super slow so as not to have ANY issues. My throat has gotten pretty sore over the last few hours, so I suck on sugar free lozenges and that helps some.

All in all, I think I have been very lucky and have had a very smooth experience....of course, tomorrow may be another day and I may post a whiny post on here, but hopefully things will only improve. Sorry for such a long post, but I know these kind of posts helped ease my mind before my surgery, so I just hope I can ease someone else's. It really was a piece of cake! (sorry for the food reference).

Good luck to the rest of you October folk!!!! Here's to new, improved, healthier, happier lives!

Jenne :clap2:

YOu sound fantastic- good for you and congrats! My Doctor requires an overnight stay and then sends you for an x-ray in the morning to make sure the band is where it is supposed to be- I didn;t mind, everyone was very nice and the pain meds helped

I must say that it is VERY comforting to read the post-op stories of all the now-familiar names of you that have been banded. It sure is interesting how different it goes for everyone. Some go home within hours of surgery, some stay overnight at the hospital (someone stayed 2 nights) and some are on IV's and oxygen overnight (me) and others don't need that. For everyone it seems that the surgery was a breeze, and the post-op recovery very variable. I suppose it depends on your age, your condition (hernia repair or not, general health, comorbidities, etc.) and so the journey is very individual. But we are certainly NOT ALONE! It is such a comfort to have all the familiar new friends here sharing the road.

Today I was really hungry for the first time. Tomorrow I can move on to soft scrambled eggs so I am hoping that will help with the hunger pains! I discovered I really like Cream of Wheat, I don't know that I'd ever had it before this! And a sf pudding is soooo good! So far everything I have eaten has gone down really easily. Too easily maybe. I am worried that since I don't have restriction I will just be eating everything! My doctor doesn't do fills for 3 months post-op so I just hope I can keep with a moderate diet until then.

Congratulations to you all! I am thrilled you are all feeling so positive, and not experiencing many issues.

I have 10 days to go, and I don't know how I'm going to get everything done in time!!

I really appreciate you all taking the time of diarising your time, it helps so much :cool:

Still terrified, but I think, it might be a little in the same line as when I gave up smoking, you know? Its like what do I do NOW?? How do I cope when I don't have this crutch? I guess that is the biggie for us all or we wouldn't eat too much.

Enjoy your weekend Bandsters!

Good morning Tens - Today is the day after (dr considers this day 1) and I'm pretty sore in the incision spots. Still no gas pains (no, I'm not complaining!) but other than that I'm not too hungry...nothing that a SF Jello couldn't fix. Taking my liquid pain meds regularly, which is probably helping. Like Jenne, if I sit for awhile I'm a bit stiff, but that's it.

I'm glad to hear that shermy had a turning point on day 5 because that's when I plan to go back to work. My DH is having his surgery on Monday (haven't gotten him on this site yet) but I think I'll have to take an extra day off to stay with him based on how I feel today.

Good luck to the rest of the Tenacious Tens!

Sue

I got banded yesterday. I can say it was worse than both of my C-sections. I got really sick from the anesthesia. I didn't sleep last night. I'm hoping every day will get better, but I'm pretty miserable at the moment. I know this will be worth it eventually. I'm trying to drink a lot, but I'm just SO hungry. My growling stomach and the gas pains along with the incision pains are making for a fun day. Anyway, hopefully the hardest part is over!:omg::sick

I was banded on Oct 2....took pain meds the day of surgery and that is it. My body feels fantastic and you can hardly see the scars...excepte the port area one...it's still scabbed over. I have been back to work a week now.I have a very physical job...but i've not been lifting.

My only two complaints is the fatigue I have since the surgery...I know this will just take time to build up the ole' endurance again. And secondly........the dreaded liquid diet I've been on. It's been so difficult and I've cheated 3 times now and had reg. food like chili, sausage and egg....all went down fine but i'm back on liquids again.

Yesterday was my day. i am sore, but not too bad.