Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any actual long term slow losers out there?

On 3/23/2017 at 0:35 PM, klette0147 said:

I was sleeved August 16 and have lost 55 lbs (37 lbs of which post surgery). I'm female aged 60 and have started exercising, mainly swimming and cardio/strength at gym, in the last 6 weeks. I still have severe lower back pain. I've found it hard to quit alcohol but have certainly cut back. So long as scales keep heading South, even slowly, I'll persevere x

I am right there where you are too! I know people say they can't drink beer, but I can. Sometimes with all my stress, at night I simply want to get that sensation of "exhaling" for just a bit, ya know? I mix my brand of beer with raw milk, it cuts the sting and well, I like it that way. Had it that way in London long long ago. So it basically ends up tasting like a milkshake to me. But before you know it, you've ingested 100 carbs! =( I am SO carb sensitive. I used to be able to lose and have a beer or two at night, but recently that is not the case. So I have begun skipping it altogether. I am going out of my mind. I dislike wine, I can not drink the hard stuff, and I don't like the sweet drinks either. I just like my beer.

I feel like I've given up SO much, lost my gallbladder, and really ... I have no vices. I'm going a little batty. :P I don't find exercising "relaxing" yet. But how I wish I could evolve to that point like so many others have!

On 5/17/2017 at 10:49 PM, LACRACRA2 said:

My wls was 7/6/16. I lost the most during the six month pre op stage. Started at 269. Day of surgery weighed 232 and today 189. It's been MONTHS since I have lost anything. I blame no one but me. I have ate all the wrong things and not exercised. I still can't eat much but when I eat sometimes I don't eat what I should. I still drink all my Water. I am thankful I haven't gained, but what a failure I feel for not doing all I can do to get this weight off and I am coming up on the one year Anniversary soon. How do I get the motivation back? I am still considered obese on my bmi. I have been taking off my blood pressure meds and sleep apnea machine. I really just want to get down to 165. That's not probably where I should be according to my chart, but I think for my age (46) and height 5'4 that is a good realistic number for me. Any suggestions to get motivated?

I just think we all have to make a "Restart Date" and do it, and check in!!

I also continue to monitor this thread, to see others' stories about this challenging weight loss lifestyle! :)

In fact, over the long weekend, I made the decision to start a medically-supervised weight loss program so that I can get back on track. While I totally "know" what I'm supposed to do to continue to lose weight, it seems my motivation is outweighed by my desire for delicious carbs! So, I'm going to go back on a lower calorie, more regimented plan with structure. Hoping this gets me back on track and working toward my goal! It will be painful (I hate the "food" on those plans and they tend to be super expensive), but I need a push in the right direction.

2 hours ago, Shells_Almost_There said:

I also continue to monitor this thread, to see others' stories about this challenging weight loss lifestyle! :)

In fact, over the long weekend, I made the decision to start a medically-supervised weight loss program so that I can get back on track. While I totally "know" what I'm supposed to do to continue to lose weight, it seems my motivation is outweighed by my desire for delicious carbs! So, I'm going to go back on a lower calorie, more regimented plan with structure. Hoping this gets me back on track and working toward my goal! It will be painful (I hate the "food" on those plans and they tend to be super expensive), but I need a push in the right direction.

I think that's wonderful!

I recently joined some more groups to learn more about nutrition. And honestly, I haven't been keeping a detailed journal of what I put in my mouth. I haven't been calculating things, nor exercising like I should be. Apparently, I need to be eating way more Protein, only 20 carbs per day (healthy, not sugar) and a bit more fat in my protein. I can not have an occasional treat, like a beer, because those carbs just "POOF" me like a balloon for days. I am so sensitive to them its insane. Now especially since I am used to eating so much less. >.> It's a pickle. I'll be doing this forever.

Wow - this thread has become a party! Good work y'all :D!

I feel you all on health problems and surgeries - the hysterectomy kicked my ass. I was so wildly anemic going into it that what little weight I lost was all muscle. My diet also got crazy due to extreme bloating and nausea. So I'm pushing 9 months out from the sleeve and trying to find a new double post-op normal.

I've only lost about 8 - 12 lbs in the last three months and it's mostly just bounced around 208 +/- 3 lbs. I'm trying to convince myself I'm rebuilding muscle, but it's hard. I'm also *way* more hungry now that I can 1) eat real food 2) have really increased my activity level and 3) obviously have way more room in my stomach. (The rainiest Seattle winter on record isn't helping, either.)

On the good side, my honey took me to Vegas for my birthday and I've lost enough weight to be able to walk around, play in the pool, sit at normal dinner tables, and buckle my airplane seatbelt. So that was awesome. Of course I also discovered I can put away a half bottle of champagne over the course of a dinner, though thanks to my sister's awesome ordering skills, I feasted on shrimp skewers (hold the grits); steak and eggs (hold the fried potatoes); and "can I get just a plain grilled chicken breast with a side of sliced avocado?" I also drank a couple of skinny margaritas (good tequila, fresh lime juice, and just a hint of agave) and vodka with soda Water and a twist of lime. Having said that, I need to keep the careful meat based ordering and save the drinking for rare occasions.

For the time being, I need to start tracking again and hitting my macros. I also need to keep focusing on gut health - good fats, cultured foods, low sugar, Fiber, Probiotics. And as always, I need to take my Vitamins, get some sun every day, and try to get my cortisol and hormone levels under control.

So the honeymoon's over, but the sleeve's still there; it's time to regroup and get back on the wagon. How about a challenge to track at least 4 days a week? And to keep trying a new activity a week till you can find at least two outdoor things you like? We just got *folding* kayaks and are try out this summer. So far it's been pretty fun.

Good luck everyone! Oh - and if you need a laugh, here we are trying to kayak with our cats.

fallingin.MP4

I am definitely a long term slow loser. I am almost a year and a half out of surgery and my weight has definitely stalled longer than I'd care to admit. However, I will say I'm glad to not be pre-diabetic or on blood pressure medicine anymore. Every time I go to the doctor my blood pressure actually reads low. So it's a blessing.

Stay strong everyone!

On 6/8/2017 at 2:36 AM, drac2you said:

I'm still stuck, despite seeing the NUT. So disappointed with myself. Have an appt with the bariatric doc's office today, but I'm at a total loss, unless I go back on the pre-surgery diet.

from drac2you via BariatricPal App

Are you still eating 800 calories a day? How long have you been eating that level of calories?

Do you track all of your food? Do you weigh all of your food? How much Protein are you consuming daily?

I just wanted to chime in here. I don't come around much anymore. There's probably an old buried thread I started years ago about slow loss success stories somewhere around here.

I'm 7 years out next month. I lost about six pounds a month. I had months where I lost just two pounds. I had six week stalls followed by nine pounds off, then I'd bounce back up a few pounds. It took me 17 months to lose 107 pounds. I got pregnant six months later (on purpose) and in the year after I had my daughter, I lost that weight and went below my initial goal weight by another 17 pounds, bringing me to my final weight of 118 pounds today. I've been steady for 2.5 years.

Slow loss is frustrating but it's still loss. At times. Let's not lie - the stalls are agonizing. My body loved every bit of the weight and didn't want to give any up. I tried every trick in the book. The only thing that worked was being consistent. My body eventually gave in. I needed less calories than most people, I needed to eat some carbs, but I mostly needed to just keep plugging away.

The good thing is that I can promise you there is no expiration date on your sleeve. So it doesn't matter if you lose in a year or three. Just lose it. And live a better life for it.

You guys get the struggle. I never liked the whining bit, because it was always harder for me.

Good luck to you.

Cheri