Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was originally sleeved on March 3, 2016, but I've been having some issues. I saw my surgeon recently for my one year appointment, and he said that the only way to fix my problems is to revise me from a VSG to an RNY. I'm a little freaked out honestly! I avoided that surgery to begin with because it scared me, now it looks like if I want to lead a normal life I need to do this. Of course I started reading stuff online, and I'm even more freaked out now! People talking about all the issues they've had, even talking about having reversals because things were so bad! Could anyone that's had a VSG to RNY please post your experience...either on here, or message me. I couldn't find a thread about this revision...just the band to RNY. Hoping someone out there has some info for me.

Thanks!!

I can't speak from direct experience since I haven't had that revision done (yet) though such a procedure is on the table as there are differing opinions on my particular issues. A second (and even third) opinion is a good thing to get when considering a revision, particularly when it is due to some complications.

One of the dynamics that exists in the bariatric world is that most surgeons have more experience doing bypasses than sleeves, so there is some natural inclination for many of them to revert to their comfort zone and go bypass when things get complicated. Most are sufficiently competent making sleeves these days (more so than 5-6 years ago when it was just starting to get routine insurance approval,) but the lingering question is how good is any particular surgeon at correcting problematic sleeves. Is a recommendation for a revision really the best solution for a particular problem, or is it merely the most convenient for the surgeon? Certainly, there are situations where a bypass is the correct solution and the trick here is to find whether or not that is your particular case.

A second opinion from a surgeon who is deeply experienced with the sleeve would be a good start. I often use the DS as a starting point in establishing VSG experience as the DS is based upon the VSG and has been performed for some 30 years now, so those longer tenured DS surgeons tend to have a lot more specific sleeve experience than the average bariatric surgeon. (and there are a few who broke off from the DS world early on to specialize in the sleeve.) Further, a good number of them get involved in some of the more complex revisions (like RNY to DS) so are more capable than average in correcting sleeve problems. I have been rather impressed with readings and conversations that I've had over the years that as a group, while they may prefer the DS as their primary offered procedure, they have no problem recommending a bypass when it is the appropriate solution to a patient's problems.

While DS docs tend to be fairly few and far between, there are several good consult prospects in the bay area. They are well worth seeking out for that second opinion. We can PM if you want to discuss further details.

Good luck in getting this resolved.