Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is hair loss a given?

I had my surgery in May and about a month ago it started falling out. I talked to the doctor, and he said it was pretty common, and they use that to indicate if there are any "big" problems. I have thin hair, and it's falling out about 3X's more than it used to. He told me it will take about 4 more months till I recover from it. (Rapid weight loss)

I too lost massive amounts of hair doing Atkins....which put to rest any thought that is was lack of Protein or fats...that is what I lived on on Atkins I think!!!

My Hair loss began as most do at about 4 months, very minor, progressing to an alarming point, that made my scalp visible! I hated putting it up in a ponytail, because it showed how scrawny my hair was!!!

I lost hair until about 11-12 months out from surgery, when it stopped. Just as suddenly as it began.

It was not breakage, you could actually see the hair bulb on the end of many strands.

I tried Bioten, in fact took it prior to surgery, and until I ran out, and the hair was cascading out of my head anyway, so said to heck with it!! I bought specialty shampoos, and other Vitamins....none of it seemed to make a difference.

I had lost all of my hair before due to chemo, so it has been said that I am predisposed to hair loss---that may be, I have no idea.

My hair is now growing back in with a vengeance!!! It has finally got to where some of it is actually reaching the ponytail holder, and I am down one less wrap!!! Mostly if I don't use a lot of product at this point, I look like a dandelion when it dries after the shower!!! Short curly hairs sticking up all over my head!!! I have an entire line of new bangs...about 2-3 inches long now....hair I am loving it!!!

I wish I had an answer and a cure for all of you, as I know first hand how traumatic it is. BUT it will quit, and grow back...then you will have a full head of hair AND a hot bod to go with it!!!

Hang in there---know I am sympathizing with you...

Kat

If I did lose hair, I never noticed it. My weight loss was very gradual though. I lost 50 or so pounds the first year... then another 45 in the next 6 months. Not super fast, but nice and steady.

I never followed a low-carb diet with my Band... just went for higher quality, high nutrient foods. So... instead of quantity, I chose quality. I ate carbs. I moved from faux light butter to real butter. Lots of organic fruit and veggies. I ate real mayo. Just very small quantities.

I've been taking Biotin from the beginning and it doesn't seem to help. I haven't been able to get it down since my last fill. They are

pretty big capsules. It kind of worries me that it might actually have been doing something, and now I can't take it.

I alos lost about 50% of my hair. It really freaked me out. But it has since all come back and I cant even tell I lost any now. I kept up on my Protein and Vitamins. I even spent a lot of money on Biotin. The only thing that helped was time.

How much time? MY dr. said 9 months but I am past that and it's not slowing down. When did you notice that it was starting to stop??

Did all of you lose some hair after getting the band? If so, how bad is it? I already have thin hair so I am not looking forward to losing any at all.

I would not want to see anyone loose hair. Look at this list to help you maintain your hair. Have a super weekend.

Healthy Hair Minerals

Calcium - Essential for healthy Hair growth. food sources: Dairy, tofu, fish, nuts, brewer's yeast, Beans, lentils and sesame seeds. Daily dose: Up to 1,500 mg. Warnings: Too much Calcium can inhibit the absorption of zinc and iron; An acid found in chocolate can inhibit calcium absorption.

Chromium - Helps prevent hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia, both of which can cause hair loss.. food sources: Brewer's yeast, liver, beef and whole wheat bread. Daily dose: Up to 120 mg. Warnings: People who are allergic to yeast should not take chromium supplements.

Copper - Helps prevent Hair loss as well as defects in hair color and structure. Food sources: Shellfish, liver, green vegetables, whole grains, eggs, chicken and Beans.

Iodine - Helps regulate thyroid hormones and prevents dry hair and hair loss. Food sources: Fish, seaweed, kelp, iodized salt, garlic. Daily dose: 150 mcg.

Iron - Prevents anemia and hair loss. Food sources: Liver, eggs, fish, chicken, whole grains, green vegetables and dried fruits. Daily dose: 15 mg. Warnings: Too much can lead to malfunctions of the liver and spleen.

Magnesium - Works with calcium to promote healthy hair growth. Food sources: Green vegetables, wheat germ, whole grains, nuts, soy beans, chickpeas and fish. Daily dose: 280 mg.

Manganese - Prevents slow hair growth. Food sources: Whole grain cereals, eggs, avocados, nuts, seeds, beans, peas, fish, meat and chicken. Daily dose: 3-9 mg.

Potassium - Regulates circulation and promotes healthy hair growth. Food sources: Avocados, bananas, lima beans, brown rice, dates, figs, dried fruit, garlic, nuts, potatoes, raisins, yams and yogurt. Daily dose: 3,500 mg.

Selenium - Keeps skin and scalp supple and elastic. Food souces: Brewer's yeast, meat, fish, grains, tuna and broccoli. Daily dose: 55 mcg. Warnings: An excess of Selenium can be toxic, leading to the loss of hair, nails and teeth.

Silica - Strengthens hair and prevents hair loss. Food sources: Seafood, rice, soybeans, green vegetables. Daily dose: 55 mcg. Warnings: An excess of Selenium can be toxic, leading to the loss of hair, nails and teeth.

Sulfur (methyl-sulfonyl-methane or MSM) - Sulfur is a main component to hair's structure. Food sources: Onions, garlic, eggs, asparagus, meat, fish and dairy products. Daily dose: 1-3 g.

Zinc - Zinc and Vitamin A work together; a deficiency in either can lead to dry hair and oily skin. Food sources: Spinach, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, whole grains, red meat and brewer's yeast. Daily dose: 12 mg. Warnings: Too much can interfere with Iron absorption.

Not me, but then I have very thick hair. IMO, lots of Protein is the prevention of major Hair loss. I've heard, (which may be mentioned in prev posts, didn't read them all), that any time you're put to sleep you lose a little hair.< /div>

Yup, it was mentioned but it always bears repeating, Nana.

I get 80-120gramd of Protein a day, still losing

I've been taking Biotin from the beginning and it doesn't seem to help. I haven't been able to get it down since my last fill. They are

pretty big capsules. It kind of worries me that it might actually have been doing something, and now I can't take it.

Dr. Curry's website has Biotin supps that you can order. Maybe they'll be easier to take? I've not looked at them.

sorry hair loss could represents Protein defiecncy. you should see your doc asap.

Prettyred: :welcomeB: to LBT!!!

I know you haven't been here long, but there are many many threads dedicated to this topic. In one of the other ones I mentioned that I have had all my three month labs done and eight vials of blood later I have NO deficiencies. Nothing even low normal. My Protein and prealbumin are great, all my B Vitamins are good D is good, all my lytes are great, hormones levels are excellent...

Some people just lose hair with weight loss. Lots lose it after anesthesia. It happens, I just want it to grow back! Which in my case won't help much since my red hair is past my waist. I'll have stubby fly-aways for ages...

I still don't know why this happened but when I cut my long hair to shoulder length, the Hair loss came to a dead stop. I don't know if the weight of my hair was contributing or what. But I do wish I would have done it a long time ago.

With that said nothing is really growing back in yet except for the 4 month old stuff that started to regrow the month I intentionally stopped losing weight. But the rest? Nothing yet. I suspect it will start in the next month or so since I won't be losing much anymore.

However, it's worth repeating. The one month I stopped losing weight my hair started to come back in. When I started losing again regrowth stopped.

I'm thrilled with my hair now, it's a lot more age appropriate, it looks sooo much better, it has more style, more color, more everything. Wish I would have done it ages ago.

I still don't know why this happened but when I cut my long hair to shoulder length, the Hair loss came to a dead stop. I don't know if the weight of my hair was contributing or what. But I do wish I would have done it a long time ago.

With that said nothing is really growing back in yet except for the 4 month old stuff that started to regrow the month I intentionally stopped losing weight. But the rest? Nothing yet. I suspect it will start in the next month or so since I won't be losing much anymore.

However, it's worth repeating. The one month I stopped losing weight my hair started to come back in. When I started losing again regrowth stopped.

I'm thrilled with my hair now, it's a lot more age appropriate, it looks sooo much better, it has more style, more color, more everything. Wish I would have done it ages ago.

You know, at almost 40 I should really cut my butt-length hair. But I just CAN'TTTTT

WAAAAAA

Anyone got cheese to go with my whine?

When I drop into the low 200's I will consider cutting it. Im just too heavy now, it's my security blanket.

And I'm sure I'd look loads better with it shorter, but I just can't do it.

Of course if I lose more and more, I'll be forced to because I do want to have enough left to donate once I do cut it.