Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self pay Lap-Banders- HELP!!!

I spent $12,900 and that covers a year of follow ups and fills. I honestly thought I would be saving all this money by not buying fast food and ordering so much when I went out to eat, but if anything I spend way more money on food. It's much more expensive to stock up the kitchen with healthy foods to cook than it is to grab a value meal at Mickey D's :) I'm not complaining though, I'm VERY happy with my band.

I have DEFINITELY saved alot of money since I have been banded. I was self pay, too... $7,700 in Mexico. It's been about a month and a half since surgery and I no longer have to take 3 medications I was taking before surgery. We all know how EXPENSIVE medications are. Also, our food bill has decreased greatly because I eat so little and my husband is cutting back his portion sizes, too. We actually eat pretty cheap now. What is the cost of one egg for Breakfast? 1/2 cup of refried Beans with 1/2 oz of cheese on top for lunch and a 3-4 oz chicken breast or piece of fish for dinner? ?? That's it except the Protein Powder which I buy at Walmart for about $12 and it lasts forever! I was already taking various Vitamins before surgery so no change there.

Overall I think I'm living considerably cheaper than before...and that's just the food end of it. Can't wait until I can buy 'regular' size clothes and not have to pay extra for 'plus' size!!!

:)

I wasn't on any medications due to be being MO.. But I can see how if you are, you might save some money :)

I am with Brandy, I spend more money on healthy food than I use to. And again, I don't care.. I want to lose weight!

I am going to be a self pay and I am going to dip into my 401K. If I don't do something now and my weight continues to get worse, I will not be able to enjoy my retirement. I am 34 and want to enjoy life, enjoy myself and feel good. Good luck! I am sure insurance will end up covering this in the future once they get their heads out of their butt!

I have saved a ton of money. Matter of fact just in fast food and soda my band ($7800) will pay for itself in 18 months.

I think a lot of it depends on where your money is going now. If you are buying a lot of crap food (chips, dip, fast food, candy, Cookies, etc.) then yes, you will save money.

I would eat twice daily pre band, once at Mickey Ds and once at Jack In The Box. I don't cook (still don't). In food I easily spend 25% of what I used to or less. I use Protein shakes for 1-2 meals daily (personal preference, not everyone does that) and that is $0.50/meal. Tuna... less than a dollar a can depending on brand and I eat 1/2 can per meal.

One problem you'll have is what was mentioned earlier in the thread. Your eyes will be bigger than your stomach. You'll order the same quantities at restaurants, you'll cook the same quantity of food you did preband. You'll fall into many old habits in the beginning. But that changes and the waste of food changes if you make it change.

I have really bizarre eating patterns and it's probably because I don't cook. I'll open cans and mix things but if it requires a skillet... I don't typically do it. I went on a tuna kick where I ate a Quizno's tuna salad daily. They are $6.00 and it would last me four meals (2 days, 3rd day I threw the rest out). Now I'm on an Oriental chicken salad kick. I get one salad and it lasts me an easy 2 days worth of food but I'm growing to dislike meat of any kind so I'm trying to find ways to change meat to tofu.

So I guess my point is that much depends on where your food dollars are going now. You WILL eat less food, what type of food you eat post band is up to you.

I spent $9950 for my band. I paid cash up front and fought with my medical insurance company by sending a gazzilion letters, calling all the time and appealing. They have finally agreed to cover the procedure and reimburse me for some of my expenses. YEA!

I have noticed that my expenses now are a little less, foodwise that is. My DH and I eat out quite a bit and now our tabs are half since we can share a meal, and grocery bills are less too since we can share things--like now we would only buy one steak for dinner instead of two like before.

As far as new clothes, I have dropped two sizes but I saved all my "skinny" clothes as I got fat and now have been pulling them out when they fit so I haven't had to spend anything there.

The downside is, I have a 8 hour drive to my band doctor and I am pretty sure I eat up any savings I have driving to my appointments but it was definately worth it for me and I wouldn't change a thing.

thank you all for your posts. it definately makes me feel better. as far as my current eating habits, i have not been eating hardly anything at all the last couple of weeks because of a new medicine, i guess this is kind of helping me prepare for the post op :). but NORMALLY, i am a fast food junkie. not too big on sweets, unless it is a little debbie snack, but i love soda's, i usually have sonic for Breakfast, md's/wendy's for lunch, and for dinner we are always really busy so drive thru or hamburger helper with 2 vegies seems to be the answer. my dh doesn't eat fast food a whole lot, but unfortunately after being with me he has begun, too. he also has begun drinking soday which he used to never do. i'm thankful that i'm getting this done now because it will tempt him less.

what kind of interest did you guys get on your financing? mine is 10% and it was going to range from 9.99% thru 25%. i considered a bank loan or a home equity line, but i work in mortgaging and the way the market is right now in our area, an equity loan would probably get me in trouble (we've only owned our home for 3 years).

it's funny this whole pre-banding stage. i went from being extremely excited to being a little nervous, to now it's like i'm trying to talk myself out of it. there are so many what if's..what if i need plastic surgery, what if the cost is actually too much, what if something goes wrong and we have to finance something else, what if it doesn't work, what if.....

but then i remember some of the other posts that i have read, and these are the things i look forward too:

1. lower cholesterol and blood pressure

2. less Migraines due to muscle tension brought on by weight

3. more energy to play with my 6 year old

4. confidence to be myself in public and not feel like people are criticizing me for being heavy

5. being able to go swimming without hiding in the Water the whole time

6. being able to sit on either side of the boat

7. feeling like i have the confidence to move up in my position at work instead of feeling like my weight will hinder me (with customers only)

8. not being able to "prop" lavern and shirley up on the table

9. more ease of exercising

10. feeling proud when i am introduced to someone new instead of embarrased

i could go on and on, but you guys already know all of this.

needless to say the benefits definately outweigh the risk of a little skin and the extra small risk of a severe complication.

i'm ready, i just pray that this whole thing does not affect my family in any way, financially or emotionally...unless of course the latter is for the better.

this is the best site that i have ever been apart of, i have literally been addicted to this site for several days.

thank you all so much.

thank you all for your posts. it definately makes me feel better. as far as my current eating habits, i have not been eating hardly anything at all the last couple of weeks because of a new medicine, i guess this is kind of helping me prepare for the post op :confused:. but NORMALLY, i am a fast food junkie. not too big on sweets, unless it is a little debbie snack, but i love soda's, i usually have sonic for breakfast, md's/wendy's for lunch, and for dinner we are always really busy so drive thru or hamburger helper with 2 vegies seems to be the answer. my dh doesn't eat fast food a whole lot, but unfortunately after being with me he has begun, too. he also has begun drinking soday which he used to never do. i'm thankful that i'm getting this done now because it will tempt him less.

what kind of interest did you guys get on your financing? mine is 10% and it was going to range from 9.99% thru 25%. i considered a bank loan or a home equity line, but i work in mortgaging and the way the market is right now in our area, an equity loan would probably get me in trouble (we've only owned our home for 3 years).

it's funny this whole pre-banding stage. i went from being extremely excited to being a little nervous, to now it's like i'm trying to talk myself out of it. there are so many what if's..what if i need plastic surgery, what if the cost is actually too much, what if something goes wrong and we have to finance something else, what if it doesn't work, what if.....

but then i remember some of the other posts that i have read, and these are the things i look forward too:

1. lower cholesterol and blood pressure

2. less Migraines due to muscle tension brought on by weight

3. more energy to play with my 6 year old

4. confidence to be myself in public and not feel like people are criticizing me for being heavy

5. being able to go swimming without hiding in the Water the whole time

6. being able to sit on either side of the boat

7. feeling like i have the confidence to move up in my position at work instead of feeling like my weight will hinder me (with customers only)

8. not being able to "prop" lavern and shirley up on the table

9. more ease of exercising

10. feeling proud when i am introduced to someone new instead of embarrased

i could go on and on, but you guys already know all of this.

needless to say the benefits definately outweigh the risk of a little skin and the extra small risk of a severe complication.

i'm ready, i just pray that this whole thing does not affect my family in any way, financially or emotionally...unless of course the latter is for the better.

this is the best site that i have ever been apart of, i have literally been addicted to this site for several days.

thank you all so much.

I just had to comment on a couple of things here....

You are a fast food junkie. In that case; YES! You will save money. You sound a lot like me. I paid for my surgery by writing a check so I don't know about the financing end of this but had I financed it I could probably pay the monthly payment with what I save in fast food and soda alone.

What if you get really honest with yourself and sit down and calculate a reasonable average of what you spend in fast food weekly (doing it monthly HURTS! HA!) and see if that won't help the cost of surgery. Food prepared at home is much much cheaper than fast food. You'll be drinking a great deal of Water vs. soda and that saves a great deal of money as well.

HA! I have to laugh because you sound soooo much like me. Not big on sweets but a fast food junkie. I have done well with the band because it does not permit me to eat what got me fat. Carbs. bread carbs, fast food type carbs. They simply don't go down. It's hard at first. After surgery I would drive by a fast food place and consider buying a burger and chewing then spitting it out. Doesn't matter which one, Wendy's, Sonic, Mickey D's, Jack In The Box, any of them. Didn't matter. Then I got to the point that I would drive by those same places and be annoyed that the only thing I could get there was tea and I hate tea. Then I would drive down the street trying to find somewhere that had something I could eat. It was annoying and frustrating.

Amazingly, I have found places that have things I can eat. Quizno's salads. I actually crave them now and burgers... blah... who cares. Seeing people eat a greasy burger now is gross. I can't believe I used to live on that stuff. Did you know that you can order ANY Subway sandwich on the menu and they'll make it a salad instead? Who would'a known? :) So when I want to do the fast food routine I can but a single salad lasts me at least two meals. My fast food addiction is now a treat instead of my typical daily routine. That's not a bad thing.

Regarding being excited and then nervous about banding. That is exactly how you are supposed to feel. If you didn't feel nervous about a life changing (and expensive) event, you'd be weird. You sound like a responsible person to me trying to determine if banding is for you. But you need to understand, this is just the beginning of the roller coaster emotions. I'm serious, this is just the beginning. You'll even doubt if you made the right decision after you have surgery, if that is what you decide is best for you. You might not be sure you did the right thing until you start seeing the pounds drop. Then you'll deal with the loss of fast food... your favorite flavors gone to hell. :( The emotions will be high and so will the frustration. You'll stop and think... well what CAN I eat? There is nothing left!

This is where the new food comes into play. As you lose weight you burn fat. When you burn fat the burned fat turns into chemicals that mostly leave your body through urine, sweat, and saliva. This affects your taste. Foods you used to like become disgusting. Foods you previously thought were disgusting are amazingly pretty darn good. It's an entirely new way of eating.

Extra skin/cosmetic surgery... darl'en, you already have extra skin. It's just filled with fat today. Sure, you might need a Tummy Tuck down the road but I think you have to put it in perspective. You can hide 90% of your extra skin with clothing. Yet you can only hide about 10% of extra fat with clothing. So really cosmetic surgery shouldn't be an issue in your decision if banding is right for you.

In my particular case I can't imagine not having plastic surgery. My tummy tuck is scheduled for 12/3/07. I didn't work this hard to have a flabby stomach. Not everyone feels as I do. Many are very happy with the weight loss alone, it is individual.

You have to weigh everything, cost vs. benefit is one. But mostly you have to determine just how bad you want thin and healthy. If you want it badly enough, you'll do it. Some people just aren't ready for it yet and that's okay. You'll make a decision one way or another when you are ready.

wasabubblebut (love the name by the way) thank you for your detailed and encouraging post. it's nice to hear from someone that had similar eating habits. i have thought that we would save money on the money that i spend at ff alone. i eat a burger 3-4 times a week. although i tend to get the kid's meals, it is still the point.

i'm not turning back, the surgery is scheduled and it is all for the better.

my dh and i have talked about all the different things in our life that will be affected and we know that we have to be prepared to deal with it as a team. we want to have at least one more child. that is actually what prompted this so quickly. i have been wanting another child forever and he hasn't. suddenly he decided, what the hell..let's have more children. unfortunately, i had just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and my Migraines have become excruciating, so in addition to two types of pain medicine, bp medicine, chol. medicine, and bc, they added me on a sleeping pill and cymbalta for pain. I CAN'T HAVE A BABY ON THAT!! :) that was when i realized how much i had compromised my own life for my love of food and lack of care/respect for my own body. so i asked dh for a year to get my bod back in shape and then i realized it was only going to end up like my previous attacks..so we went this route to sum it up. i hate it that my kids will probably be 11 years apart, but hey...it's worth it in the long run.

hey! now i will hopefully prolong my life to still be active with the future child.

it is a huge step and i am scared, which like you said is normal, but i'm so ready that i almost want to just cry and the fact that one day i will be freed from this prison of self disgust and glutony. one day.......

thank you guys soooooooooo much. i cannot begin to tell you how much you have helped me the last couple of days.