Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been going through the whole process of getting the pre reqs done for a gastric sleeve, and I've completed everything I need to complete except the hardest part; losing the weight my surgeon has required do to the surgery. It's so frustrating! I've had some setbacks and actually gained a ridiculous amount of weight! He won't do it and won't submit for authorization to my insurance until I get down to 311. I was right around 330 when he gave me that goal, I got down to about 316 (but I didn't have the other requirements finished up) then I tried to do it on my own thinking I may be able to lose the weight without surgery. I was scared. I wasn't ready. I didn't see him for about 9 months meanwhile I ballooned up to 370! I've been back to see him and get back on track but he still won't clear me for surgery until I get all the way down to 311 which seems impossible at this point. I go up, I go down, each time going higher. What advice do you guys have for dropping that pre surgery weight quickly? I fear I'll give up and just get worse. At this point if I don't make that change and keep going up I will literally kill myself with food. What can I do to get and stay motivated? How do you handle sugar and carb cravings that seem to be so intense all you can think about is a darn cookie lol.. I am starting talk therapy next week to see if that will help me reach my goals. As of today I got back on track with lean meats and veggies and really trying to cut out the carbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It sounds like you are staking too much of your future success on having the sleeve to be honest. It doesn't stop you from choosing the cookie over lean Protein. It sounds like gaining 54 pounds in 9 months gave him concern that you aren't prepared to tackle your mental food issues. The sleeve won't do that for you.

It's wonderful that you are starting talk therapy. That was absolutely my suggestion when I was reading. I think it will help a lot. Along with that, practice eating the things you are going to need to eat forever to keep the weight off. Lean Protein and veggies, little carbs are you mention.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by clc9

Trust the process. The rules your surgeon has for a reason. Use the tools you have to get to the 311. You can do anything if you are truly committed. This delay has purpose.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

That's a fair assessment. I realize I have a problem with food, I mean that's what got me where I am today but I really want to be successful. I want to be healthy and live a long life. It's difficult controlling those cravings and staying motivated. I'm hoping the therapy helps me figure out what it is that's driving me to eat whatever I want whenever I want, and why I give up and derail so bad when the weight loss slows. What has helped you guys in those areas? What motivates you?

I take 6 medications daily. They cause dry mouth, diarrhea, liver problems and cost money. My knees hurt standing and walking. I have sleep apnea, hbp, Diabetes and high cholesterol. Motivation to improve my health is not a problem. Looking forward to losing these diagnoses. The weight loss is just an added bonus!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

I cringe when people say that you can lose the weight if you are truly committed. While the OP doesn't state it, it's just a cringe-worthy thing to someone like me who literally tried everything for 5 years to lose weight but because of a hormonal imbalance, it took me 3-4 months to lose 25lbs and then I couldn't keep it off. Some conditions make it nearly impossible to lose weight even if you're doing everything right. The sleeve was a tool that further aided me because it forces me to eat the healthy things first, and by that time, I'm full. I've lost my taste for most unhealthy things, thankfully. There are still a few that I've got a weak spot for, but now I severely limit my intake on them, and they're few and far between.

Motivation? Got on Instagram, there are many people with WLS accounts (myself included) where you can see the progress and struggles of their journey. I tend to share a lot of my food, sometimes my choice in exercise. I did this because when I was starting out, following those accounts helped me. And even now, when I'm feeling glum or like I'm not doing enough, or like I'm missing... something, they really do inspire and help me out. Everyone is different though. You've got to find things that give you that drive of motivation, and then remind yourself of it daily.

The thing that helped me most lose pre-op weight was tracking my calories. I got myfitnesspal.com and wrote down everything. Then, slowly, I began to adjust my calories downward.

It's a lot of weight to lose, but you can do it....also, I've never tried it, but maybe you should talk to your doctor about phentermine.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Here are some recommendations:

1. Give up all carbonated beverages and caffeine from your diet. I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit prior to surgery and dropped 20 pounds on that change alone. But be prepared that if you remove caffeine from you diet that you may suffer from caffeine withdrawal. This lasted about a week for me with severe headaches and body aches. So if you make this change be prepared for a little suffering. Remember you have to do this for the surgery anyways, so why not make this change now. You definitely do not want to compound your recovery from weight loss surgery with caffeine withdrawal pain.

2. After surgery you will need to rely on Protein supplements (Protein shakes and Protein bars). So I would recommend you purchase good Protein Bars (low on sugar and high on protein) and consume these as Snacks. Quest make a good Protein Bar with a lot of variety.

3. Get off the sugar. Transition over to artificial sweeteners (such as Splenda or sugar alcohols) or natural no calorie sweeteners (such as stevia). There are many products on grocery store shelves that have "No Sugar Added" label. So have hot cocoa but the No Sugar Added cocoa mix. Adkins makes a number of products that will take the edge off your sweet tooth. Read the labels, if it has more than 5 grams of sugar on the label, you may want to avoid these products and foods.

4. Walk 30 minutes each and every day.

5. Eat meals high in protein and low in carbs. Limit your complex carbs (such as bread and pasta) to one meal per day.

I've been going through the whole process of getting the pre reqs done for a gastric sleeve, and I've completed everything I need to complete except the hardest part; losing the weight my surgeon has required do to the surgery. It's so frustrating! I've had some setbacks and actually gained a ridiculous amount of weight! He won't do it and won't submit for authorization to my insurance until I get down to 311. I was right around 330 when he gave me that goal, I got down to about 316 (but I didn't have the other requirements finished up) then I tried to do it on my own thinking I may be able to lose the weight without surgery. I was scared. I wasn't ready. I didn't see him for about 9 months meanwhile I ballooned up to 370! I've been back to see him and get back on track but he still won't clear me for surgery until I get all the way down to 311 which seems impossible at this point. I go up, I go down, each time going higher. What advice do you guys have for dropping that pre surgery weight quickly? I fear I'll give up and just get worse. At this point if I don't make that change and keep going up I will literally kill myself with food. What can I do to get and stay motivated? How do you handle sugar and carb cravings that seem to be so intense all you can think about is a darn cookie lol.. I am starting talk therapy next week to see if that will help me reach my goals. As of today I got back on track with lean meats and veggies and really trying to cut out the carbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) thanks!

My surgeon sent me to his bariatrician pre op. She put me on a low carb diet and phentermine. Low carb took care of the cravings for carbs and the phentermine helped with energy and head hunger. Low carb was also a great way to adjust to post surgery eating. I was able to lose 35 lbs in three months.

My fitness pal helped alot, i put myself on a 1300 calorie diet with 120 grams of carbs. It's all monitored by my nutritionist. Seeing a nutritionist and a therapist helps put things into perspective for me. I have set backs but I get back on the wagon and workout like crazy. I hit my plateaus but I try to confuse my body so that I keep losing. Don't give up

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App