Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How the Lap-Band actually works, fills and refills

3 weeks after my fill it started to work. My PA said it sometimes had a delayed reaction which did not make sense to me but here I am and its working. I have a fill scheduled for Tues but am not sure I need it. So far I only have 2 ccs and was banded the 26th of Nov.07. We had such bad snow I could not get in before I did but I had been stalemated since the end of Dec. Now I am going down thank goodness. So everyone hang in there if you get a fill and not sure if it is working. I do not understand how come but will ask more questions when I go in. Good luck to all:welldoneclap:

It's nice to hear other feedbacks....I went to my doctor a few days ago and got 1 cc more added to my band...the nurse said not to expect to feel "full" but "satisfied" I responded by saying, isn't having the full sensation the same as being satisfied? I'm just hoping to feel the "sweet spot" after 8 months..I do feel a little restriction..exactly what does the sweet spot feel like? Do you feel full or satisfied after eating just a little bit or do you pb ? I chew well, eat Proteins first, avoid drinking during eating and wait before and after...but I still can consume a good amount of food..ummm,:thumbup: I just want to be on a roll losing weight, but I've just maintained the same weight for a few months..Thanks for your feedbacks, there are some terrific people on this thread..

I too would like to know what the "Sweet Spot" feels like. If I over eat I get that feeling of an air bubble that will not move. Also another weird thing is I kinda have to get up and walk around to figure out I am full. So I have to watch portions to make sure I stop at a cup to a cup and a half, other wise when I do get up it is too late. I agree this is a great spot, I have gotten alot of help here and to read other peoples issues is a help. Hang in there

The sweet spot feels like if you eat one more bite, you're almost to the point where you would feel like throwing up. You feel full, and you stay full for 3 hours on a small amount of food.

If I eat a lot of carbs, I feel hungry sooner. It's the digestion of carbs that causes the stomach to growl. Bandsters should be eating Protein first, then veggies and if there is any room left a small amount of fruit.< /p>

That is interesting that you feel full when you get up and walk after eating...and to feel "full" after eating only a cup and a half of food, that's where I want to be at. I guess I'm not at the "sweet spot" yet, I don't feel that airbubble sensation...but do you think you think by 8 months more weight should have been lost? Only 20 lbs. lost in all that time! It's great how much weight you oth have lost!!!!Thanks for the encouragement!!:smile2:

You said you are using the elliptical several days per week. Have you tried mixing up your exercise? I just talked to my trainer about these plateaus and he explained to me how important it is not to do the same exercise all the time. He said that our bodies get too used to what we are doing and you have to keep it guessing. I use the stair stepper, the elliptical and the treadmill. Some days I do 15 or 20 min on each one, and some days I do just one of them for a shorter amount of time but higher intensity, etc.

Do you have to pay for your fills? If you feel like you can still eat too much, keep going and getting more. I finally had to tell my dr. to be aggressive and that I was tired of not losing weight. That was when he gave me a bigger fill and now I am great.

Good advice you gave...I do mix up my excercise routine, eliptical,weight training and walk on beach, plus I'm active at work..hmmm

I don't have to pay for fills..so perhaps you're right,I'll get a more agressive fill next time....Denise, you have done so remarkable!!!!

Thanks. It's been very up and down this whole way. There were times I was completely freaking out because I wasn't loosing as fast as other people. This last 3 lbs came off this week after losing nothing since Dec.

I am sure I will go a few months before I drop again. That seems to be the way my body works.

I know you posted this back in September but I wanted to ask you a question because you are very expert. I have read from people on this web site that their doctors tell them that they might not feel restriction right away from a fill. It might take days or a few weeks to feel restriction. This doesn't make sense to me. If you are going to have restriction from a fill, you should feel it right away and the more you lose, the less restriction you will have and then it is time for another fill. I have only had one fill of 3cc in my 10cc band done 2 weeks ago and I really don't feel any restriction yet.

You're right. It doesn't make any sense. That has never been the case for me. I can tell the difference the next day after a fill. I have heard a lot of people say their fill takes awhile to take effect. I have no idea why.

I have a friend that was banded by my dr. the same day as me that I email with. She had a fill a couple of weeks ago, and had been complaining that it felt no different. Today she sent me an email that all of a sudden she can hardly eat at all. You're right. It's very strange.

I will be interested to hear what others say.

You're right. It doesn't make any sense. That has never been the case for me. I can tell the difference the next day after a fill. I have heard a lot of people say their fill takes awhile to take effect. I have no idea why.

I have a friend that was banded by my dr. the same day as me that I email with. She had a fill a couple of weeks ago, and had been complaining that it felt no different. Today she sent me an email that all of a sudden she can hardly eat at all. You're right. It's very strange.

I will be interested to hear what others say.

Hi! I'm new here. I got banded on January 18,2007. I started at 248. I am now 140. Is it normal that every time you get filled, you regurgitate? I usually stay in my room for 3-4 days because I don't feel well, My comfort is my bed and the toilet bowl! Or was my weight loss drastic?

I am one who has had questions about fills and a delayed reaction. About 3 weeks after my fill I think it started to work but I had another fill scheduled the next week and since I have 100 miles to drive I went ahead and got it. This time it work right off the bat. In fact he had me drink Water with the needle still in me and removed some before he quite. Now I have to be very careful. At least I have started to loose weight again. Only thing is I have had to heave it up once to get relief and I did not think I had eaten too much but I did, and today I ate a bit much and it hurt for about and hour afterwards. So I need to be careful but my feelings are that I wanted the band to loose weight and being careful about my amounts is what it is about. Lessons learned. Laniayala I have never had your problem and think you should tell your doctor but wow you have lost the weight. Good luck.

Hi Kathy,

I am from Rathdrum and I thought I would say HI...I got banded 02/07/08!!!! Getting my 1st fill next Friday!!! Im so excited cause I have no restriction at this point! Im ready to get this journey on the road!!! Good luck!!!!

Do you guys know how much on average a woman needs for an effective fill? I am 5'5'' and 212 right now. Ive had 2 fills but they were only .50 ccs each as the nurse who does them likes to be conservative. I can basically eat whatever I want so I am thinking 1 cc is way too little to have in there. I need to go for a fill. How much saline did you guys have in your band to reach the sweet spot?