Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So much protein

So I saw my nutritionist for the first meeting pre op. She said I eat very healthy for a vegan/vegetarian but she wants me to do a Protein Bar and shake every day to get me to 80grams a day before surgery so I can get used to it. Only issue I'm having is now I don't feel hungry ever and I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat to get the Protein in. Is it really necessary for me to be eating so much?

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

In my experience I was glad to be put on the pre-op diet for a week before, or 2, I forget. I used the Protein shakes as a Meal Replacement, so you would be getting the same Protein, just some of it coming from a shake. It is helpful, because for a week to a month the shakes will be your meals. It is good to get used to them and how to fix them to your taste.

Good Luck!

I can't stand bars. I do a chia seed pudding with chocolate premier Protein. It is 3tbs chia seeds one chocolate Premier Protein and 2 tablespoons of low fat sugar free pudding mix . Combine, stir and refrigerate. It makes 2 servings and each has 21 grams of protein...so if you had 2 - day you are getting 42 grams in.

It can be made without the pudding mix because the chia seeds firm up and a vegan Protein powder and almond milk could work.

Edited by Travelher

Post surgery, yes you will need that much. Especially as your body heals and adjusts. It seems like a crazy amount though.

In my opinion, it also helps to shift the focus of eating. A person starts to focus on getting good lean Protein in first. Thinking about food more as needed fuel instead of comfort.

Usually it takes a little while after surgery to get up to that many grams a day.

Low sugar yogurt is good. It isn't vegan but it a good way to get in Protein. The Chia seed pudding sounds good. Thanks @@Travelher I'll have to try that in a little bit.

If you do tofu/tempeh, that isn't a bad source either.

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and genpro (sp) have a tasteless/ unflavored Protein Powder. I've ordered it but it hasn't gotten here yet. Many people love it. It can be added to Soups or and liquid the Unjury has 30 grams protein per serving.

With the bars, try lots of different ones and different brands. The first time I tried one post surgery was horrible! Didn't try another one for months. Different bars and flavors sit differently for me. I was excited to try this no cow bar brand but the ones I tried sat so horribly. I just couldn't eat anymore. I like many of the Quest bars and a couple of the pure Protein Bars. There are tons of recipes to make your own Snacks with the unflavored protein powder too.

Good luck and I hope you find what works for you.

If you come across any brands you like feel free to share. It takes me a while to try/incorporate something new but I'm always looking.

All the best

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Pazza

Post surgery, yes you will need that much. Especially as your body heals and adjusts. It seems like a crazy amount though. In my opinion, it also helps to shift the focus of eating. A person starts to focus on getting good lean Protein in first. Thinking about food more as needed fuel instead of comfort. Usually it takes a little while after surgery to get up to that many grams a day.Low sugar yogurt is good. It isn't vegan but it a good way to get in protein. The Chia seed pudding sounds good. Thanks @@Travelher I'll have to try that in a little bit.If you do tofu/tempeh, that isn't a bad source either.Unjury and genpro (sp) have a tasteless/ unflavored protein powder. I've ordered it but it hasn't gotten here yet. Many people love it. It can be added to Soups or and liquid the Unjury has 30 grams protein per serving.With the bars, try lots of different ones and different brands. The first time I tried one post surgery was horrible! Didn't try another one for months. Different bars and flavors sit differently for me. I was excited to try this no cow bar brand but the ones I tried sat so horribly. I just couldn't eat anymore. I like many of the Quest bars and a couple of the pure Protein Bars. There are tons of recipes to make your own Snacks with the unflavored protein powder too.Good luck and I hope you find what works for you. If you come across any brands you like feel free to share. It takes me a while to try/incorporate something new but I'm always looking.All the best Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Caramel flavour premier with overnight oats is amazeballs too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's getting easier. I just have to think before deciding what to eat. I've got two more months of group sessions till they set a date. The doc said April.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App