Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here Goes! (1.5.05)

Well, I have to admit I've been lurking amongst you all for the past couple of weeks. After deciding that I just might consider going ahead with this, I thought:

1. my vacation dates would not coincide with available surgery dates

2. there could not possibly be open dates on such short notice

3. open plane seats during holiday travel would be hard to find

4. holiday plane fares on such short notice would be exorbitant

5. funding couldn't work out so quickly

6. my family would think I was crazy

To my amazement, everything has worked out; it all unfolded so quickly I've hardly had time to reflect on the decision. I've found a lot of information, comfort, confidence, and wisdom throughout this board, though, and would like to express my gratitude to all of you as I continue on the process, without looking back.

Heading out the door to begin this adventure; I'll update as the adventure unfolds.

Congratulations to you and welcome to this board.

I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery. You have made the best decsion for yourself...it truly is a life changing experience.

I'm one step closer already. Doctor is Ortiz, goal is about 100#, and I'd heard of the band a year or so ago, but intently researched only the last several weeks. I can honestly say that I would never have made this decision without the www. Thanks for your support; I'll check back in again when I can.

Please let us know how your doing. I haven't been banded yet and I am very interested in hearing about others and their experiences...

Northerner, I think you made the best decision ever and I know I am too!!!

Keep us posted.

Good luck with your surgery!! Please don't stop here with your research. This is a lifelong, life-changing decision. We want you to be fully aware of both the ups and the downs. Believe me, there are both.

You've chosen a great Dr., but do you have local aftercare in the event of emergencies or routine follow-up?

Thanks for the reminders of follow-up and aftercare; I'm finding myself so focussing on the operation and decision that these repeated reminders are particularly useful and meaningful. Schedules and travel windows are one priority; but security and peace of mind are even more important. Thanks for reminding me of this as I prepare myself mentally for this experience. Honestly, thank you: my family and I find assurance in your words!

Hi Northerner,

Its very nice to meet you and welcome to the forum!!! Good luck on your upcoming surgery! We cannot emphasize enough how important it is to find a local aftercare doctor in your area. Please do not wait till after your surgery to do this. You will regret it if you do. Best wishes to you! Teresa

On a couple rather serious notes:

1. Is aftercare/followup/fill the patient's responsibility, or should I await recommendations from the Dr? What I've read on the board is unclear, and seems to go both ways. I've been somewhat awaiting the Dr's recommendations, naively believing that is the best choice. Can I please get some feedback on this? As I get closer, these concerns are becoming very real for me, particularly because the Mexican Dr and I reside far, far away from eachother...

2. I'm also finding myself stressing on going under, thinking what if I don't come back. I don't have much experience under anesthesia, just twice that I can recall in my lifetime, and the closer and closer I get, the more fear I sense (my own and my family members'). More information, so that I feel knowledgeable going in, might help. Anyone?

Thanks again for everything. Time's ticking! Happy New Years All!

Hi Northerner -- How far north are you? All of the banded people here went through anesthesia, and we're all here to tell about it. You might want to check with Dr. Ortiz for details of his anesthesiology procedure. I've had a couple of other surgeries in addition to the band, and while it's not exactly fun going under, I had no complications, ever.

From your first post it looks as if your surgery date is Jan. 5. Is that true? If so, congratulations!

Surgery date: Jan 5, originally, and now Jan 6. I'll be sure to have plenty of questions ready for them tomorrow. Thanks for your reassurance, Zoe. I feel like I'm doing a whole other New Year countdown right now, this one with some real resolutions!