Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grrrr! I'm annoyed.

So I have only just begun my lapband journey. I have been extremely hesitant to tell anyone that I am considering a lapband because I fear the negative feed back I might get. Well, today I decided to confide in someone who I thought would be understanding and supportive. BOY WAS I WRONG! GRRRR!!! Just as I suspected, she was negative and relayed a horror story of someone she knows who had had a lapband years ago. She was like, you can lose weight on your own, you dont need it. WELL, I'm am so bummed. I told her, sure I can lose weight. I have done it many times before. I just cant keep it off. So she says, dont say you cant! SOOO, I guess I am just going to have to keep this to myself and not expect the support of any of my friends. Luckily my husband is supportive, I would just like to have more then 1 person on my team, ya know?

I know how you feel. I was banded on August 24th. I am the baby (44) of the family, and all of my brothers, sisters, and my mom were totally against it. They are all at normal weight, and can't understand why I can't just stop eating.

I went full steam ahead, and now they are all very supportive. My 82 year old mother is so funny! I've lost 22 pounds, and she is so proud of me.

I think they get it in their head that we won't be able to enjoy food anymore, and in my family that is comfort, fun, and what we do when we get together. My friends supported me, which was a blessing.

I wish you luck!!!

I Only Told The Girls I Work With For They Have To See Me Each Day And Would Of Known Anyway. My 2 Kids Are Very Supportive. I Went Home To A Family Reunion And No One Knew That I Had Lost Any Weight (98 Lbs) And They Were Surprised And Happy For Me. I Just Spoke With My Cousin Yesterday And She Said That I Had My Spark Back And I Looked So Happy. That Was A Great Thing To Hear For After Thinking About It, I Do Have My Twinkle Back. I Feel So Great And Feel Sexy For The First Time In Many Years.

In Two Weeks I Am Going To Calif To See All My Friends And They Too Do Not Know. I Am Down 120 Lbs Now And I Can't Wait Until I See Their Faces. Surprise! Maybe Your Friends Just Need To See That It Will Work And That You Do Not Have Any Problems With The Sx. People Are Funny, And They Don't Know What We Have Gone Through Unless They Are In The Same Boat!! Just Use Us As A Sounding Board And I Hope That Helps. Soon Your Friends Will Come Around. Maybe They Are Just Concerned And Don't Understand.

Diane

Maybe your friend is jealous? I HAD a friend who was the skinniest of my little group and loved it. She was a size 12 and loved getting all the attention when we went out. All the guys would come over to her. When any of us lost any weight she would get mad and constanly throw food in our faces or make negative comments. I don't know your friend, but that may be a possibility.

I hardly told anyone I was doing this. I had no idea how fast I would lose since I am older, and I didn't want anyone asking me if I was losing, and how much, etc.

It's just been lately that people are starting to say that I look like I have lost some weight. They ask me how I am doing it and I just say I started exercise classes in the pool, and I cut out sweets, and I am eating smaller portions. All of this is true.

I don't think it's anyone's business that I had surgery. I told my son and daughter, but not too many friends and no other family.

I went through the same thing! Everyone seems to think that the band is cheating. Well, it's not! It is still hard work, it is just like you said that the band will keep you from putting the weight back on. I got all kinds of negativity from friends and co-workers. I finally decided just to keep my mouth shut and get it done. Now that my co-workers/ friends are seeing my weightloss, they haven't said anything negative to me. How can they? The band WORKS! Having a band is great and I feel you should get yours and starting living your life!:clap2:

I didn't really tell anyone either. Just my family knew. I did tell one girl at work AFTER the surgery.

I knew from just being around people and hearing them talk crap about people who do wls, that most people wouldn't agree. Quite frankly, it's none of their business.

It's sad that someone who you thought was your friend was so unsupportive. I have had the same kind of interaction with people over other things before.

Screw her! You don't need a friend who is that unsupportive!!

Thankyou all for your thoughts on this. I have decided I will just try to keep it to myself. I'll come here and talk with all of you and maybe I will get involved with a support group. I do feel like I need some support through this whole thing. I am nervous about it and a bit scared. I keep thinking to myself, "this is the rest of my life!". I know I can do it though. Anyways... thanks again.