Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing encouragement... band to by-pass and no loss in a month

Had conversion from band to bypass on 12/9, had to go back in for lower intestinal constriction surgery on 12/14 and spent 3 more nights in the hospital. When I got out of the hospital, I weighed 180 (25 pounds lost on milk diet and during hospitalization of a total f 7 nights). One month later I weigh about 179. I do get about 80-90 grams of Protein, drink plenty Water, exercise, light weigh-lifting at gym,and I am eating regular food now, which I carefully measure. Calorie intake of 800-900 per day. Tracking everything.

So...never get sick, never feel nauseous, never feel like I have hit capacity, even with just plain 2-3 oz. chicken or tuna. I read somewhere that my pouch will be bigger than normal because it is a conversion. I hold myself to about a 1/2 cup + a very small amount of soft vegetables per meal. I typically am not hungry, but I have no problem eating and am diligent about getting Protein in. Also, all Vitamins.

BUT I feel like the surgery didn't work because I am not having a "full" feeling, not feeling nauseous like others report, and can consume at least a 1/2 cup or better with no problems. I know others may think I am crazy to complain about no symptoms, but it makes me worried that I will not lose weight, even though I feel like I am doing everything right, and it has been about a month now with no loss.

Has anyone out there gone through the same level of "stall"? Any similar experiences where loss does finally come?

Had conversion from band to bypass on 12/9, had to go back in for lower intestinal constriction surgery on 12/14 and spent 3 more nights in the hospital. When I got out of the hospital, I weighed 180 (25 pounds lost on milk diet and during hospitalization of a total f 7 nights). One month later I weigh about 179. I do get about 80-90 grams of Protein, drink plenty Water, exercise, light weigh-lifting at gym,and I am eating regular food now, which I carefully measure. Calorie intake of 800-900 per day. Tracking everything.

I too had revision from band to bypass and am having slow weight loss. Last two months lost 4 lbs each month.....slow but steady and the bottom line is, at least there is loss.....I have been dieting my whole life and it seems either I'm up or down so better to go down. Loss also shows up in other ways, like in my clothes. Hang in there, what else can we do?

So...never get sick, never feel nauseous, never feel like I have hit capacity, even with just plain 2-3 oz. chicken or tuna. I read somewhere that my pouch will be bigger than normal because it is a conversion. I hold myself to about a 1/2 cup + a very small amount of soft vegetables per meal. I typically am not hungry, but I have no problem eating and am diligent about getting Protein in. Also, all Vitamins.

BUT I feel like the surgery didn't work because I am not having a "full" feeling, not feeling nauseous like others report, and can consume at least a 1/2 cup or better with no problems. I know others may think I am crazy to complain about no symptoms, but it makes me worried that I will not lose weight, even though I feel like I am doing everything right, and it has been about a month now with no loss.

Has anyone out there gone through the same level of "stall"? Any similar experiences where loss does finally come?

waaay too early to be worrying. You will lose if you are sticking to your plan. I never got sick or nauseous either. You just had a variety of surgeries and are probably retaining Water with swelling and your body trying to heal. Also you are starting from a pretty low BMI from the start according to your stats. My goal is 10 lbs from your starting weight. I'm only expecting weight loss to be in the 1-3 lb a month rate when i'm down that low.

I find my limit with meat is about 3 oz. with things like sashimi I can do 4. for total quantity i can eat 3/4-1 cup of food at a meal. If you are close to that it sounds pretty normal.

you will lose just be patient, it isn't a race, but a marathon.

Also, don't ignore your pre-op weight loss. it counts, it is weight loss. if you've had a big fast drop, it is normal to slow or plateau afterward

Edited by Travelher

Well, THANK YOU, Travelher! This actually helps alot. I don't feel alone and everything you said makes total sense! congrats on your weight loss and progress!

Gail

It took almost a year of adjusting the amount of Fluid into my Lap Band. At 1 point of getting almost maximum tighting, I got it too full that I would vomit almost anytime I would eat. So of course I had to get a 1/2 cc removed at a time until I could comfortably not get sick eating. Don't think being able to eat over a 1/2 c. is a bad thing. You want to have a normality to living. Just follow your bariatric diet correctly & u'll be fine. There is no magic pill or surgery to get or keep the weight off. Will power & determination is the only way u'll be successful. Just don't give up on yourself & never give up trying to be the person u want to become!

Sent from my VK700 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Salee

I too am needing encouragement :(. I had my revision surgery on June 6th, 2016. I lost 30lbs over the next 2 months. Then I "fell off the wagon" so to speak. I have gained back 8lbs. It seems I have no "full" switch after a few bites. I have days where it feels like I'm starving and could eat a whole buffet by myself. I had more control with my band (I would throw up if I ate too much). I lost 60 lbs with my band. I had to get my revision because of Gastric Reflux. So far I'm not impressed with the Bypass at all. I feel it has done nothing for me. My husband has even made the same comment :(

I watch "My 600lb Life" and think good grief! Look at those people - they can loose an unfathomable amount of weight and you cant even get rid of 50lbs. :angry: I'm sooo disappointed in myself, angry at myself, and embarassed to be seen because people know I have had surgery and think I should be skinny by now. I feel like a failure. I realize the surgery is only a tool - the rest of the work has to come from me. I dont know how to get "back on the wagon". I'm afraid I have stretched out my stomach beyond fixing. I have asked my surgeon for a "buddy" or "mentor" but it seems like here in "small town" Colorado no-one wants anyone else to know they have had surgery. After failure - I guess I can understand why. :(

Any help, advise, suggestions, lectures..... or whatever is necessary I would greatly appreciate. I'm tired of crying and feeling like such a failure.

I too am needing encouragement :(. I had my revision surgery on June 6th, 2016. I lost 30lbs over the next 2 months. Then I "fell off the wagon" so to speak. I have gained back 8lbs. It seems I have no "full" switch after a few bites. I have days where it feels like I'm starving and could eat a whole buffet by myself. I had more control with my band (I would throw up if I ate too much). I lost 60 lbs with my band. I had to get my revision because of Gastric Reflux. So far I'm not impressed with the Bypass at all. I feel it has done nothing for me. My husband has even made the same comment :(

I watch "My 600lb Life" and think good grief! Look at those people - they can loose an unfathomable amount of weight and you cant even get rid of 50lbs. :angry: I'm sooo disappointed in myself, angry at myself, and embarassed to be seen because people know I have had surgery and think I should be skinny by now. I feel like a failure. I realize the surgery is only a tool - the rest of the work has to come from me. I dont know how to get "back on the wagon". I'm afraid I have stretched out my stomach beyond fixing. I have asked my surgeon for a "buddy" or "mentor" but it seems like here in "small town" Colorado no-one wants anyone else to know they have had surgery. After failure - I guess I can understand why. :(

Any help, advise, suggestions, lectures..... or whatever is necessary I would greatly appreciate. I'm tired of crying and feeling like such a failure.

My advice is to get back on the wagon by starting with the basics. Meal planning measuring and tracking. I measure and weigh everything! I portion things out and only eat my portion. When eating out do the same. order a to go box when you arrive and portion out your food and put the rest away...do not eat from a common plate (share appetizers) those things encourage you to over eat.

As a revision patient I know my pouch is double the size of a normal bypass pouch. so I'll always be able to eat more than other bypass patients. This is why I portion and measure. My meals generally consist of around one cup of food. 3oz of meat and 1/2 cup of vegetables. I make amazing Snacks using my premier Protein chia seeds and a couple of tbs of pudding mix.

anyone can eat around any surgery...people eat around the band by eating sliders. Food addicts will find a way if you let it.

Also, pay attention to your cravings...mine always happen around my period...so I can tell myself this week...there is an explanation for it, I don't give into it all the way (will have fruit chips instead of chocolate). but it helps me recognize this starving feeling is just going to last for a week and not the rest of my life and there is a reason. it helps me keep control and not feel victimized by it.

You can do this! don't make yourself a victim and take control. I can recommend a good Facebook group called "recipes for weight loss success". I follow the plan and it is working for me. lots of recipes on there to try to change things up and keep things interesting. you can add me on myfitnesspal as well. I'm travelher on there as well.

Join the New Years weight loss challenge to set goals and help stay accountable.

Edited by Travelher

Well, THANK YOU, Travelher! This actually helps alot. I don't feel alone and everything you said makes total sense! congrats on your weight loss and progress!

Gail

Looks like you've had a big drop in the last couple of weeks!!! Congratulations!

I too am needing encouragement [emoji20]. I had my revision surgery on June 6th, 2016. I lost 30lbs over the next 2 months. Then I "fell off the wagon" so to speak. I have gained back 8lbs. It seems I have no "full" switch after a few bites. I have days where it feels like I'm starving and could eat a whole buffet by myself. I had more control with my band (I would throw up if I ate too much). I lost 60 lbs with my band. I had to get my revision because of Gastric Reflux. So far I'm not impressed with the Bypass at all. I feel it has done nothing for me. My husband has even made the same comment [emoji20]
I watch "My 600lb Life" and think good grief! Look at those people - they can loose an unfathomable amount of weight and you cant even get rid of 50lbs. :angry: I'm sooo disappointed in myself, angry at myself, and embarassed to be seen because people know I have had surgery and think I should be skinny by now. I feel like a failure. I realize the surgery is only a tool - the rest of the work has to come from me. I dont know how to get "back on the wagon". I'm afraid I have stretched out my stomach beyond fixing. I have asked my surgeon for a "buddy" or "mentor" but it seems like here in "small town" Colorado no-one wants anyone else to know they have had surgery. After failure - I guess I can understand why. [emoji20]

I know this is an older post but I just wanted to comment anyway. I am feeling the exact same way. I am 6 days post op and down a whopping 1 pound. I am sobbing uncontrollably and thinking that I must be the biggest, fattest pig to have had two WLS's and am still unable to lose. Why did I do this? Money, time and pain all down the drain! I could've lost way more than this by using Slim Fast or something. I watch the show you mentioned also and I sit here feeling I've made a horrible mistake. They are doing so well and I'm losing nothing. I am SO FULL OF SHAME! This was my absolute biggest fear and it is coming true.

Months have passed since you posted here and I pray you are feeling better. I pray I feel better soon also.

Transitioning from lapband to bypass on June 12!
HW: 402, CW: 314, GW 185

I know this is an older post but I just wanted to comment anyway. I am feeling the exact same way. I am 6 days post op and down a whopping 1 pound. I am sobbing uncontrollably and thinking that I must be the biggest, fattest pig to have had two WLS's and am still unable to lose. Why did I do this? Money, time and pain all down the drain! I could've lost way more than this by using Slim Fast or something. I watch the show you mentioned also and I sit here feeling I've made a horrible mistake. They are doing so well and I'm losing nothing. I am SO FULL OF SHAME! This was my absolute biggest fear and it is coming true.

Months have passed since you posted here and I pray you are feeling better. I pray I feel better soon also.

Transitioning from lapband to bypass on June 12!
HW: 402, CW: 314, GW 185

I didn't have anything previously but had a sleeve on May 31. I was so bloated the first week and a half from the surgery. You'll need to let your body adjust a little after surgery there's allot of inflammation from surgery that causes your body to hold Water initially. That's probably why you haven't seen a big loss yet.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app