Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was all set for the sleeve then they said with the GERD I should go bypass. I then talked to surgeons partner he thinks sleeve since I live about 2 hours from major medical facility? He asked if I had a hiatal hernia I told him I had EGD and they did not mention it?? I now have read signs and symptoms of GERD and hiatal hernia I have s/s of both ?? Help I need advice!! So nervous worried about everything.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What I was told is that bypass helps reduce GERD and sleeve can make it worse.

I initially asked for a gastric bypass. However, due to previous surgeries my Doc was concerned about scar tissue. Asked me if there was to much scar tissue would I settle for a sleeve? I told my Doc I was concern about my gerd getting worst do to a sleeve. He assured me that it would not because they've basically figured out why the sleeve was causing the gerd. So I awaken with the sleeve and no gerd. I'm happy I ended up with the sleeve. Statistic has it that the sleeve is the safest and least complicated than all other weight loss surgeries. That is probably why your surgeons friend said sleeve given your distance away.

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by savyourdvine1

If you've got GERD, get the byapss. Unless you're willing to live with the possibility of it getting worse.

I had it before surgery, but was pretty adamant about getting the sleeve. I was kept on liquids for 4 weeks longer than I should have been (6 weeks total), have had several endoscopy's, and am still on medication for it 2.5 years post op.

I could pursue a revision, but it is what it is and I'm just living with it. It's pretty well controlled with medication now. Otherwise I've been very happy with the sleeve. It's what you're willing to live with, I guess.

I've been wrestling with a similar dilemma. There was no medical reason compelling one surgery over another since I don't have diabetes or binge eat sweets. The doctor recommended sleeve because there are fewer potential complications. Also, he feels I have a higher than average risk for ulcers due to a previous ulcer.

Earlier this week I was panicking because I felt like my diet was deteriorating and maybe I needed dumping syndrome as a tool. I called and spoke to the dietician. She had me read my food diaries to her and told me she thought I was actually making reasonable decisions, and that I would do well with the sleeve.

I feel relieved. I think anxiety just increases as surgery approaches. Also, it's hard to make a decision because I don't have any experience of not feeling too much hunger for my body. So I don't know what life will be like if I don't feel that degree of hunger.

I can really empathize with your agonizing over which one, especially if two different docs are telling you two different things. My doc's reasoning was: bypass is better for diabetics, people with severe sweet cravings leading to binging, and people with serious GERD. Sleeve is the better option without those indicators, and for people with a history of ulcers. I really trust him a lot.

According to the internet:

A hiatal hernia occurs when part of your stomach pushes upward through your diaphragm. Your diaphragm normally has a small opening (hiatus) through which your food tube (esophagus) passes on its way to connect to your stomach. A hiatal hernias may cause acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux (GERD).

So after reading your post, it appears that you do not know if you have a hiatal hernia. I believe that many times when patients undergo bariatric surgery, they discover a hernia, sometimes it is a hiatal hernia. In many cases they correct the condition at the same time they perform bariatric surgery.

I had a RNY gastric bypass surgery because I had severe acid reflux (GERD). It is my understanding that sleeve surgery will only make this condition worse. Some posters on this site had sleeve surgery only to go through another round of surgery later because of GERD made their surgery intolerable.

I completely understand where you are at. I went into this process last June with the full belief I was ready for the sleeve. I was excited. I had done my research. I had several friends who had been sleeved. Then they did the endoscopy. My dr. flat out told me that he would not do a sleeve on me. He recommended RNY bypass. I was free to get another opinion. I had a hiatal hernia and gerd. On top of that, I had bile in my stomach which indicated a weak valve between my stomach and small intestine.

It took me a few weeks to wrap my head around a bypass. My BMI was only 35.5 so it just seemed so extreme. I discussed it with my dr. He told me it depended on what I felt was extreme. Yes, they create a new stomach pouch for you, but everything remains in your body or I can cut out 2/3 of my stomach and throw it away.

The bottom line is whether you trust your dr. If you don't, get another opinion.

I went with bypass because of GERD. I couldn't even imagine making it any worse than it was, so I definitely didn't want to risk it with the sleeve.