Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do I do when I reach my goal?

Ok so aside from jumping up and down, what do I do when I reach my goal weight? My body isn't gong to know that is my goal and automatically stop losing weight. I am 22 pounds from goal (was sleeved aug. 25,2016) and the closer I've gotten to my goal, the more lax I have gotten on my very strict diet. Still no sugar at all and very few carbs but just let up a little. However, the weight loss hasn't slowed down. In fact, I usually have a 2 week stall each month but I haven't stalled this month or last. How will I keep myself from getting too thin? What are some changes you've made after reaching your goal weight?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So, shortly after reaching my goal weight I started training for a half marathon. It was initially pretty tricky figuring out how to get enough calories in to stop losing. I had to start tracking my food again as well as my exercise. I got a fitbit with a heart rate monitor in it so I could get a very accurate idea of how many calories I was burning each day. I started looking for calorie-dense foods and added them to my diet. Like cheese and nuts. I also added more Snacks into my schedule. NOT GRAZING. Actually scheduled snacks. I added a second afternoon snack and an after-diner snack. So I was eating seven times a day instead of five. That helped and I was able to get in enough calories to maintain my weight through all of my training.

I'd work with a nutritionist to adjust your diet. You need to increase your calories however our bodies are in starvation mode and I was told that for the first 2-3 years post loss our metabolism is still afraid of starvation so it's still slow. You need to increase your healthy calories. I think JamieLogical had great suggestions too. Once we reach goal that's when we have to be even more careful not to let ourselves backslide.

I added in more fat to my diet, not more carbs or sugary foods. So, have a couple of slices of avocado with dinner, have almond butter instead of PB2 with my yogurt, eat full fat yogurt instead of nonfat, add some shredded cheese to my usual lunch salad of chopped chicken breast and green veggies -- things that I could do without eating significantly bigger meals or eating more carbs or sugar.

To the extent that I do eat some higher carb foods, I focus on whole grains and things that I am not going to start to "graze" on. So, no to crackers or Cookies or anything like that. Instead, I occasionally have hot oat bran Cereal (100% oat bran, no sugar or sweeteners of any kind) for Breakfast. I like it, and it is good for me, but it isn't like I'm going to make a giant pot of oat bran mush and eat it all day long.

@@gustavio

Your dietician will give you your instructions for maintenance.

You will be instructed to add healthy carbohydrates back into your diet in a limited amount. It will slow or stop your weight loss. Once you add them back you crave them. Healthy carbs are plant based, sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa and whole wheat. . Carbs are a slippery slope.

Evaluate how much time you invest in your workouts. If you are on the low end of the spectrum you will need to keep a basic bariatric maintenance diet plan. If you are in the moderate category you may need to increase calories and Protein goals. The high fitness level ( Bariathletes) Calories, Protein, and carbs are increased while training. Imagine getting in 2000+ calories with a tiny stomach. It's an all day project.

If/when you gain weight, you go back to your weight loss bariatric diet (little to no carbohydrates) Increase your workouts.

The work never ends after goal.

Am not near goal but when I had a consultation with my surgeon I shared what my goal was ease that is what I remember feeling good at. He feels I can lose more and said when I reach my goal I will want to reevaluate it. In my head I don't see it, but he is confident I can lose 15 lbs more.

So, you may just keep that in mind

Am not near goal but when I had a consultation with my surgeon I shared what my goal was ease that is what I remember feeling good at. He feels I can lose more and said when I reach my goal I will want to reevaluate it. In my head I don't see it, but he is confident I can lose 15 lbs more.

So, you may just keep that in mind

I never thought I'd reevaluate my goal either but i did. I always said I'd be happy to just be under 200 pounds but my dr said he thought I'd be good at 170. So when I went below the 170 and reached 150 I reset my goal for 140.

I wanted to lose a bit more past goal because of the "bounce" that naturally seems to happen a couple of years out, so I just kept doing what I was doing until my body just stopped losing 7 pounds past my goal of 150. I'm glad I did that, too, because I am constantly fighting 5 pounds, and being 5 pounds over my goal of 150 would piss me off, lol. Instead, I have wiggle room now. If I get close to the 150 mark, I adjust accordingly to get back down to my comfort zone. But it doesn't mess with my head knowing I'm "over" my goal weight, if that makes sense.

Just a word of advice and my 2 cents.

Oh, and once you're there, you get the fun job of finding the balance of eating more in order to maintain, but not too much as to gain.

Good times!

I'll chime in with Babbs about the "fun" of maintaining. Essentially, for most people, you have to work just as hard at maintaining your weight as you did at losing the last several pounds. But it isn't nearly as much fun to balance out the work! When you are losing weight, you get the pleasure of seeing the scale numbers go down, the cute new clothes, people telling you how great you look . . . that all goes away with maintenance. Now it's just the work and no external motivators to go with it. I try to give myself rewards: buying a new book I really want to read if I don't go out of my comfort zone for a month, getting my nails done if I exercise every day for ten days in a row, etc. I am going to adopt a dog this spring if I stay in my weight comfort zone for three months!

Thanks everyone for the great advice! When I heard that this was going to be a lifestyle change forever, I sure thought that once I reached my goal, I'd be fine to do what I wanted and go back to normal. I think many people have that misconception. Another misconception is that surgery is the easy way out. HAHAHAHAHA!!! this has been one of the most challenging times of my life! But oh so worth it. I will never go back to the way I use to eat and do what I did to my body. I am not a judgmental person by far but I find myself being disgusted when I see coworkers eat their 1500+ calorie fast food meal. The best thing this journey and this site has done is educate me on how much food affects your health and quality of life.

Edited by gustavio

Thanks everyone for the great advice! When I heard that this was going to be a lifestyle change forever, I sure thought that once I reached my goal, I'd be fine to do what I wanted and go back to normal. I think many people have that misconception. Another misconception is that surgery is the easy way out. HAHAHAHAHA!!! this has been one of the most challenging times of my life! But oh so worth it. I will never go back to the way I use to eat and do what I did to my body. I am not a judgmental person by far but I find myself being disgusted when I see coworkers eat their 1500+ calorie fast food meal. The best thing this journey and this site has done is educate me on how much food affects your health and quality of life.

@@gustavio

Well, and just to give you an idea how fast things can go south:

I was towing the line really well around Christmas. Like staying the same weight within literally a half pound. I was so proud of myself!

Then winter hit here in Boise.

We got more snow in the last couple of weeks than we've gotten in literally 2 winters. @@jenn1 can vouch. We were trapped in our neighborhoods, people couldn't get to work, school was closed for 6 days, and we were shoveling snow every couple of hours for a week straight. I was having to forgo the gym to take my son to work because his sedan couldn't get out of his subdivision for a week. Every time I would get enough gumption to go to the gym, I'd decided to not go because the roads were so treacherous. I figured shoveling snow would suffice.

Between not going to the gym for almost 2 weeks, and a little comfort and frustration eating, I am up 3 pounds as of this morning. Just like that. The good news is I think there's a break in the weather, and I actually made my ass go to the gym today and I feel better :) But it will take me a month to get this off. Honestly.

Life happens, but we have to learn to adapt and roll with the punches without it totally derailing our progress. This is the hardest part of the whole thing.

@@gustavio

Well, and just to give you an idea how fast things can go south:

I was towing the line really well around Christmas. Like staying the same weight within literally a half pound. I was so proud of myself!

Then winter hit here in Boise.

We got more snow in the last couple of weeks than we've gotten in literally 2 winters. @@jenn1 can vouch. We were trapped in our neighborhoods, people couldn't get to work, school was closed for 6 days, and we were shoveling snow every couple of hours for a week straight. I was having to forgo the gym to take my son to work because his sedan couldn't get out of his subdivision for a week. Every time I would get enough gumption to go to the gym, I'd decided to not go because the roads were so treacherous. I figured shoveling snow would suffice.

Between not going to the gym for almost 2 weeks, and a little comfort and frustration eating, I am up 3 pounds as of this morning. Just like that. The good news is I think there's a break in the weather, and I actually made my ass go to the gym today and I feel better :) But it will take me a month to get this off. Honestly.

Life happens, but we have to learn to adapt and roll with the punches without it totally derailing our progress. This is the hardest part of the whole thing.

Ahh that's sounds frustrating!! I'm sure I'll have "slip ups" and snow days of my own. Not planning on them of course but, who does.

I'd say being snowed in is a pretty good excuse for your minor set back.

At least you have the dedication and drive to get back to the gym and work it off..

I'm sure I'll have "slip ups" and snow days of my own.

That's cute. I'm going to start calling my slip ups snow days.

"Man, I had a really bad snow day today". LOL.

I'm sure I'll have "slip ups" and snow days of my own.

That's cute. I'm going to start calling my slip ups snow days.

"Man, I had a really bad snow day today". LOL.

Ha ha ha!!

New Year's Eve was a bad snow day for me. Luckily, I woke up New Year's Day, kicked myself in the ass after stepping on the scale and let that minor setback be my driving force. Thank goodness for the "honey moon stage" that made it easy to snap back.

@Babbs@gustavio

Uggg. I miss the days when it came off easier. Seems like its harder to loose your final 15 pounds and now that I'm further out from surgery......slower the weight loss.