Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just getting started

Hi, I am happy to stumble on this group. I am getting ready for my January 12 bypass surgery RNY. I am doing all the research on Vitamin and which kind is best. Did/do you all find this overwhelming? I spend most of the year in a 3rd world country working and would need to bring these things with me after surgery. The mail system is not reliable but I can also have friends bring with them when they visit is possible. The first two weeks clear Protein, which is good? And a good sight to get vitamin?

Also if you hade this type surgery what did you wish you knew before you did it?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hi LisaKay. I hope you will not have to return to a third world country immediately after surgery. I could see that being rather difficult. At least if you are here for several weeks after surgery, you could make the initial transition and then you would have a good feel for what you need to concentrate on. You will need to take a Protein supplement (normally a Protein shake) for several months after surgery. This can be rather bulky for transportation. I used Muscle Milk Light Protein powder. I tried mixing this with a hand mechanical blender but this didn't work well. It had the wrong consistency, too clumpy. I was able to use a Ninja blender with a single serving cup. This worked well for me but you will need to have electricity and need to tale a blender with you. Your surgeon should provide you with a list of Vitamins you will need to take daily and a list of many optional brands. Of the Vitamins, Calcium can be a problem just because of the sheer volume you will need to take daily.

Since you will need to space out when to take your vitamins throughout the day, I would recommend a weekly pill organizer. Also because you may lose your ability to swallow medium to large size pills during the first couple months after surgery, I would recommend a pill splitter and a pill crusher. You will need to drink plenty of fluids. In some 3rd world countries the Water may not be pure. Generally there are a couple ways to deal with this such as boiling all the Water you drink (think tea and coffee) or using a pocket size ceramic filter. Katadyn makes a good one. Here is a link. http://beprepared.com/katadyn-pocket-emergency-series-water-filter.html Your taste buds may change after surgery. I found water to be almost undrinkable because it tasted overly chlorinated even though it wasn't. I was finally able to tolerate flavored water such as Crystal Light.

At your stage pre-op, I would recommend you do three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.
2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.
3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

Thank you James for some great advise. I will take this advise and add it to my right now choices for a healthier me. I was planing on going back to 6 weeks after surgery, of course only if I am doing well through recovery. But I do have the option of staying longer if I need to. I do push myself but I know I need to be ever so careful with Water their and everyday stresses too. Right now m putting one foot in front of the other in this life changing journey. I'm so glad I found this form to reach out to people who are on the same path to get healthy. My 10 month post op will be at Everest Base Camp!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App