Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve for over 210 KG and BMI 70

Hi,

I am a 31 year old male, and I have been morbidly obese since I was a kid. Even though I was severely obese I was relatively active until I was around 26.

Now I weigh 210 KG and at a height of 5 foot 8 I have a BMI of 70 !

I know it sounds shocking,

I am very unfit, and after about 10 min of working out the elliptical machine or bike i am exhausted.

I checked my blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol and all are normal.

I consulted the leading bariatric surgeon in our country and he has got me appointments with the cardilogist, endocrynologist and a liver expert and a breathing expert for next week.

I know given my condition bariatric surgery will be a no brainer.

My main concern is choosing the right type of surgery.

I would prefer to get something with less complications like gastric sleeve,

But want to know if given the right commitment of diet and exercise will it be enough? I cant afford two surgeries and like to know if there are any cases of successes for people who have done gastric sleeve only and lost the desired amount of weight for someone who is over 70 BMI? even now i am on a very low carb diet which I have gotten used to as a lifestyle in the last few months with no sugar and carbs such a bread/rice and i work out about 5 times every week as much as I can.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks

Rajiv

from Sri Lanka

My stats are not that far off except I am a bit taller. I am having the sleeve on Dec 30th. I have had many friends my size have major complications with the full bypass and I know for me that is not an option I was open to. I have read other stories from very large people and they have been successful with the sleeve, I really think you have to do the research and decide what surgery is right for you. My doctors never pushed one over the other but I was also pretty upfront that I was not comfortable with the bypass. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm only 6 months out from sleeve surgery so not a complete success yet! But I'm very pleased with my choice to do sleeve. When I first met with my surgeon exactly one year ago, my BMI was 76! I didn't have to lose weight before surgery but since my insurance required a 6 month medically supervised period, i used that time to gradually make some changes and start very slowly increasing activity. So on surgery day my BMI was ~66. Now 6 months later it is 48 and dropping.

When I started, i couldn't even walk a city block without being completely out of breath, heart racing and in excruciating lower back and knee pain. So yes, my exercise routine started VERY slowly - but you know what? any little bit helps and just very slowly gradually increase activity so you don't injure yourself. even the slightest bit of improvement in that area will make recovery from surgery so much easier. and now? well, in October I hiked over 5 miles in the Great Smoky National Park - broken into 2 smaller hikes on the same day - without ANY problems! Something I couldn't have even dreamed of doing a year ago.

So is sleeve an option for someone with a BMI of 70 or higher - yep absolutely! Ultimately which surgery to have is a decision between you and your doctor. Weigh all the benefits and negatives of each procedure in regard to your particular case and make an informed decision.

Regardless of which route you go - good luck on your journey!

My hubby had a BMI of 64 and wanted the RNY but they couldn't do it due to some prior surgeries etc. But he had the Sleeve in June 2016 and has only lost 70#'s. Now I know there are people that have had GREAT results with the Sleeve. He doesn't seem to have enough restriction. Most Dr.'s will suggest the RNY for the weight that you have. But you are young and seem to be in good health. He had a Lap Band for 13 years but it malfunctioned so he went in for a revision to an RNY which they couldn't do. His Band had eroded into his Liver. His starting weight when he had the Sleeve was 420#'s. Most Dr.'s would suggest the RNY at your weight but you seem to be fairly healthy so who knows. Now I had the RNY 3 years ago and I have had GREAT results. Granted my weight wasn't as high but I started out with a weight of 249#'s this time I was 285 but managed to lose down to 249. I got below my goal weight in 6 months and have maintained my 124# loss for 2 and 12 years. You are the only one that can make that decision which surgery you will have. Talk to your Surgeon to help you with that decision. Good Luck and I look forward to seeing your journey.

My hubby had a BMI of 64 and wanted the RNY but they couldn't do it due to some prior surgeries etc. But he had the Sleeve in June 2016 and has only lost 70#'s. Now I know there are people that have had GREAT results with the Sleeve. He doesn't seem to have enough restriction. Most Dr.'s will suggest the RNY for the weight that you have. But you are young and seem to be in good health. He had a Lap Band for 13 years but it malfunctioned so he went in for a revision to an RNY which they couldn't do. His Band had eroded into his Liver. His starting weight when he had the Sleeve was 420#'s. Most Dr.'s would suggest the RNY at your weight but you seem to be fairly healthy so who knows. Now I had the RNY 3 years ago and I have had GREAT results. Granted my weight wasn't as high but I started out with a weight of 249#'s this time I was 285 but managed to lose down to 249. I got below my goal weight in 6 months and have maintained my 124# loss for 2 and 12 years. You are the only one that can make that decision which surgery you will have. Talk to your Surgeon to help you with that decision. Good Luck and I look forward to seeing your journey.

My hubby is 6.2

I started out at 481 lbs (218.6 kg). I am a little taller than you, so my BMI was 63. I am down 112 lbs right now, with most of that being pre op. If you really want to do it, you can. I was a fat kid growing up too. I waited until late in life, and it is working for me.

So now we get SPAM in actual posts ?!!!

@@Alex Brecher

So now we get SPAM in actual posts ?!!!

@@Alex Brecher

Please REPORT any spam you see and it will be dealt with pretty quickly. We are upgrading the platform in a few weeks and we've built in some new anti-spam tools which should eliminate most of these spam posters.

@@Alex Brecher

Great news. Thank you!

@@Alex Brecher, I was a moderator on another board for a long time. Killing spammers was one of our chief occupations. I know how much work goes into it. Thank you.