Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so disappointed!

Hi all - well the day that I've been waiting for has come and gone. I went to the Dr. yesterday for what I thought was my first fill - I was really excited because I was banded on Aug. 1 and was starting to feel as though I had no restriction and needed a bit of help. The Dr. wouldn't give me the fill cause he said I lost more than what was expected in the 6 weeks after my band placement. OMG - I almost begged him for it - I told him that I was afraid that without a fill I'd start eating too much, but he said I was doing fine. Now, I know I should be happy but I am so scared that I'll gain the weight back, and what's worse is that I don't see him again for 2 MONTHS!!!!! Has this happened to anyone else and how did you do? How did you do it? I would really appreciate some feedback if this has happened to you - is this a common occurance? Thanks!

Sweetpea - how much weight did you lose in the 6 weeks from banding?

Are you hungry in between meals?

Are you eating more than 1 - 1.5 cups at meal time?

Are you getting in your 60gr or recommended Protein each day?

Congrat's on obviously EXCELLENT weight loss!

OMG! I am so sorry! I'd be so pissed! I have no idea if this is normal, but it better not be! I haven't got my first fill yet, and if this is the case, I'm going for the ice cream right now!

If your doctor is impressed with your weight loss, you aren't eating more than a couple of cups of food at a sitting, staying full for a couple of hours and are exercising and losing weight, I see no problem!

Congrats on your weight loss!

GR8 - I lost a total of 19 pounds in 6 weeks, which I didn't think was that much. I'm not really hungry in between meals but I am hungry at night . I am getting all the Protein I need ( I'm not a meat eater so I do eat alot of carbs but also fruits and veggies). And yes, sometimes I do eat more than I should - so how did I lose the weight? Beats me! The doc said he expects 1-2 lbs a week - i did more than that.

Just over 3lbs a week is a fantastic loss. I wouldn't be too worried if by chance you did regain a little. Some of that 19lbs would have been Water weight, and as you become better hydrated again, your weight may go up a little, or you might just get to a point where you don't lose for a little while. Or you might just keep losing like a champ!

It happens. The trick is to work through the time when we gain a little back, or stop losing. It's tough at the time, but so worth it in the end.

Again, congrats on the weight loss!

Hi sweetpea,

I could have written your post for you. I went to my 6 week appointment a few weeks ago thinking that I was going to get a fill too and just like you my doctor said NO. I lost 18 pounds the first 2 weeks after surgery and then I was down to a pound a week after that..needless to say I could eat probably as much as I did before surgery but I choose not too. Isn't part of getting the banding is to change what we did in the past. Anyway, I'm slowly losing and I have another appointment October 1st and I'm hoping for a fill but who knows!

Hang in there sweetpea I'm right where you are!

Gail

i know exactly how you feel. i was banded july 16 and when i went in august i had lost 20 lbs. so he would not give me a fill. i go back this wednesday and he told me if i have lost 5-7 lbs. since last time, he would not give me a fill. i feel as though i might have lost that much. i dont really want to get a fill if i dont have to. why? because it can bring on side effects that i dont need to deal with like gas, vomiting, pain and an inability to eat anything but mushies or liquids. you are better off without it. even with just the band there is restriction. youre better off losing slowly, the slower the better, more likely to keep it off. that is how i am looking at it. dont let the band do the work for you. you cuold get a restriction and end up basically drinking Protein Shakes but htat is not good for youeither but it will make you drop weight. but, getting the band means following the dr.s directions and NOT using past weight loss experiences as a guide. this is a new way, and things are supposed to be different. keep in touch. i go to the dr. wednesday and will see what happens.

Hi all - well the day that I've been waiting for has come and gone. I went to the Dr. yesterday for what I thought was my first fill - I was really excited because I was banded on Aug. 1 and was starting to feel as though I had no restriction and needed a bit of help. The Dr. wouldn't give me the fill cause he said I lost more than what was expected in the 6 weeks after my band placement. OMG - I almost begged him for it - I told him that I was afraid that without a fill I'd start eating too much, but he said I was doing fine. Now, I know I should be happy but I am so scared that I'll gain the weight back, and what's worse is that I don't see him again for 2 MONTHS!!!!! Has this happened to anyone else and how did you do? How did you do it? I would really appreciate some feedback if this has happened to you - is this a common occurance? Thanks!

I was banded on 4/30 and just had my first fill on 9/10 - as long as you're losing 1-2 lbs a week you're fine - it's frustrating I know, but any more than that is unhealthy.

reading this i am thinking oh no! I have lost 18lbs in a little under 6 weeks and am supposed to go in for a fill on friday. Would it be evil to drink a lot of Water or something ... and wear heavy clothing?

You've all made me feel so much better about not getting my fill - I know it's better not to get it but I was so afraid of gaining all the weight back since I don't feel as restricted as I did after my surgery. It will be hard but I'm going to do it. I didn't have this surgery for nothing.

reading this i am thinking oh no! I have lost 18lbs in a little under 6 weeks and am supposed to go in for a fill on friday. Would it be evil to drink a lot of Water or something ... and wear heavy clothing?

Not evil, but you are doing yourself a disservice.

We have to be honest with our doctors. If you are really feeling like you are struggling, tell your doctor.

Your doctor can only help you if you let them know how things really are going. If you said to your doc "Yes, I have lost 18lbs in 6 weeks, but over the last couple of weeks, I have found I don't stay full for any real amount of time, and I think that it might be time to try a little fill" He / She might say no, but at least you have stated your case in a factual manner. But every time I have said anything like that to *my* doctor, he has whipped out the fill needle, and told me to go lay down on the table.